PDA

View Full Version : down pipe

legionvr6
07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
ok i looked around and couldnt find any good info. every time i google it i get test pipes. can some one answer a few quetions for me?

1) i know for the GTI and jetta 1.8t a down pipe makes a big diffrence. how much of a change does it make on our cars with 1.8t's. if any one can give me any idea of power gains with stock cat, with HFC and with test pipe i would be very greatfull.

2) i know TT makes a down pipe for our cars can any one please give me a list of the companys that make them. as i said befor every time a google it all i get is test pipes.

also can any one give me a list of HFC's for our cars? i only know of the labree

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
07-01-2008, 07:18 PM
most turboback exhaust systems come with downpipes.

legionvr6
07-01-2008, 07:23 PM
i plan to do a custom later on. but i would like to look into down pipes

biketsai
07-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I believe you can get it from 034 I think. But if you are going to spend $300 on a downpipe, you might as well spend 400-600 more for a full exhaust

BONFIRE074
07-01-2008, 07:46 PM
i dont really see a point in doing just a downpipe.. like biketsai said, just save up and do it all at once

djwimbo
07-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Just save up and do it all at once

What he said.

A Cat-back system would come with a downpipe. A test-pipe is when you remove the cat and just put in a pipe to take it's place.

If I had to do it again, I would not have bought the eBay testpipe. I would've paid for one that had the flanges welded on at the proper angles. My down pipe is too close the the tunnel of my car and too far away from the exhaust hanger on the side of the trans.

I picked up the Techtonics DP through BahnBrenner @ $220 iirc.
I did the testpipe, downpipe and airbox mod in one shot. This was after the Stg 1+ tune. Adding the exh and int mods was almost like getting the car chipped again. Butt Dyno approved.

Nebone
07-02-2008, 01:37 PM
It makes a difference on MK4s 1.8T because the downpipe and HFC or no cat are one piece. On the A4 and Passats, its a 2 piece setup so you'd need a downpipe and HFC no test pipe to gain any power. I did both at once.

legionvr6
07-02-2008, 11:25 PM
thanx for the info guys.