PDA

View Full Version : oil level light woes

eurostylzmk4
07-01-2008, 04:11 PM
so last thursday going to work my oil level light came on. As this baffeled me by not having any leaking issues i had the car towed to avoiding potential big problems if the oil pump decided to go or oil sludge issues.

Pressure tested and everything was fine. Replaced the sensor alas the light is still on. nothing is showing up on vagcom and i am stumped

any incite would be much appreciated.

Seerlah
07-01-2008, 04:51 PM
If it is the level and not pressure, could you not just top it off? I was also told that turbo cars tend to eat up your oil rather quick. It is not the check engine light, so there should be no codes. It is just telling you that your oil is running low, like when the windshield wiper fluid comes on, or battery light when below 13 or so volts.

I had this same thing happen to me a couple months back. It was the level and not pressure. I drove to Valvoline asap as I was right up the street and got my oil changed (my first light spooked me). This was when I first got the car (couple months later) so it was still on oil from dealer (non synthetic). But if it were to happen to me again, I would just add more till next oil change.

generik777
07-01-2008, 09:04 PM
My light came on intermittently a few months back even though oil level was all good, day or 2 later the pump died. Replaced the pump and all was good.

Mike@PureMS
07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
What's the dipstick say?

Siena
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Sounds like low oil pressure.

It won't show up on VAG-COM either.

TJR178
07-02-2008, 06:25 AM
I have to put a quart in about every 1.5k miles or so. I was told that this is normal for my 2.8 30V.

eurostylzmk4
07-02-2008, 09:09 AM
My light came on intermittently a few months back even though oil level was all good, day or 2 later the pump died. Replaced the pump and all was good.

hrm. how much did that run you?

eurostylzmk4
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
What's the dipstick say?

level is normal if not maybe a little high now i checked it this morning after getting it back from the shop.

generik777
07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
hrm. how much did that run you?

Just over $900 total, But I had a few other things done while it was there.

M3Armand
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
eurostylz, what ended up being the problem? How did you fix? My car has the correct amount of oil per the dipstick and has no sludge issues but the "Oil Level Min" light is on.