PDA

View Full Version : Hit a speed bump, leaking oil!

Lugi20
06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Alright, I hit a sadistically placed, ridiculously massive speed bump that was probably intended to slow down tanks circa WWII, and now I'm leaking oil... and I mean all of it.

The car is a 99' 2.8 V6 Quattro. Its tricklinking out at a relatively fast pace, the car was running and everything was fine after the speed bump, but as I was getting home the oil indicator started flashing. Looks like its coming out somewhere in front of the roll bar... where is the oil pan located on this car? I'm worried that I might have damaged the engine, but if its the oil pan I can live with that.

Anyone have shots from under the car that I could possibly look at and photoshop an arrow pointing to the damaged area? All help is greatly appreciated!

Poopie
06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
just take a look....its pretty obvious where the oil pan is.

Lugi20
06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not a car expert man, its really not obvious to me. Pretend you're explaining this to your wife.

I'd really like helpful information if anyone has some, I'm kind of in a bind thats why I turn to Audizine for help, not remarks on what I should or should not be able to recognize myself.

biketsai
06-25-2008, 08:57 PM
take off your skid plate and just look for a large pan that has many bolts around it. If it did break it, I would complain to the place that had the bump bc thats just dangerous.

JaVa
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
if you have never gotten under your car, its not the one that is obvious!!! you have to take the skid plate off then you will see it. the other is the trans.

Oricle
06-25-2008, 10:07 PM
First option is jack it up. You'll see a big black piece of plastic covering the bottom area held in by multiple bolts?(took mine off so long ago I can't remember if they were bolts or not).

Next if there isn't an obvious spot it's leaking from such as everywhere being drenched in oil take some rags and wipe it down. Watch it for a couple minutes and see where it is coming from.

Other option is take it to a jiffy lube and ask them to inspect. They shouldn't be able to screw that up.

audinutt
06-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Don't drive it as is if the oil pressure light came on do NOT start the engine you WILL BE DAMAGING your engine.

My money is that you busted your oil pan.

-richard

Yaktizzle417
06-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Other option is take it to a jiffy lube and ask them to inspect. They shouldn't be able to screw that up.

Yes, lets drive a car with a demolished oil pan to total morons, who will refuse to service the car because it has a damaged pan..

Brilliant idea. Why don't we just suck some sand into the manifold, and then try running the car on plain octane booster and urine? Cause I mean, the urine will mix with the octane booster, and create 93 octane.

Wow.

OK, here's what you need to do.
Call the place where the speed bump anally raped your B5. Tell them their speedbump caused your car to leak. Show them the spots where oil leaked out in their lot, and where you stopped and etc. Tell them they're paying for a tow truck, and the bill for whatever your car will need. Which will be a skid plate and likely an oil pan. Then tell them to have a nice day.

Next: Call the truck, make sure you get a flatbed if your car is Quattro. DON'T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING BUT A FLATBED. Unless, you want to break more stuff, that costs 159181085x more to service than an oil pan.

Tell the shop what happened, then tell them to take up any needed funds with the place that destroyed your pan. Then get your car back, and enjoy it!

Lugi20
06-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Ok, there I'm fairly confident it was the oil pan, and there is a shop literally around the block from where I live, so I could pretty easily push it there.

I found that the oil pans are ~$130 online, what kind of labor are we talking about here? This can't be more than 2 hours, I would imagine less.

lotusgardener
06-26-2008, 10:21 AM
2 hours - HAHAHAHAHA, it's an Audi, not a Honda. You have to loosen the engine mounts, lift the engine slightly, then unbolt the subframe...... Then you can take the oil pan off. Installation is reverse (lol).

Oricle
06-26-2008, 10:48 AM
You honestly think the city will pay for that. [:p]

depending on how fast it leaks I'd fill my oil up and drive it 5 minutes if I had to.

Not sure on how far a jiffy lube is or how fast it is leaking-which would be the deciding factor.

Oricle
06-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Ok, there I'm fairly confident it was the oil pan, and there is a shop literally around the block from where I live, so I could pretty easily push it there.

I found that the oil pans are ~$130 online, what kind of labor are we talking about here? This can't be more than 2 hours, I would imagine less.

Be prepared to be raped by dealer prices.

Poopie
06-26-2008, 11:28 AM
my friend just cracked her r32 oil pan and the city paid for it in no time.

flyromeo3
06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
i cracked my oil pan in brooklyn driving around craters in the road. Fortunately for me i missed the first 3 craters but ended up in the 4th one.
I was leaking oil but not to bad. I sealed it up using some epoxy stuff which seems to be holding well. Still going to replace the pan though.

I think it should take no more than 1 hour to remove the pan.
I also have a 99 2.8Q.

1.Jack up the car
2. remove skid plate
3. may have to remove the sway bar because its covering a few bolts on the pan that will need to be removed.
4. remove pan. Also, make certain that your not leaking oil from that box that the oil filter sits in.

Lugi20
06-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Anybody have a Bentley Publishing manual that can put light on the situation? If it really is a PITA job to do then I'd like to know, but IMO any oilpan should be a fairly easy fix. Yes, I'm sure the front sway has to come down or at least get loosened, other than that I don't see why this is more complicated that any other car.

Lugi20
06-26-2008, 12:55 PM
2 hours - HAHAHAHAHA, it's an Audi, not a Honda. You have to loosen the engine mounts, lift the engine slightly, then unbolt the subframe...... Then you can take the oil pan off. Installation is reverse (lol).

First of all I don't appreciate the disrespectful way you responded. And you are right if its a 1.8T, but since you clearly can't read, you didn't notice that I have a 2.8 V6.

I just got off the phone with my trusted Audi dealer (Continental Audi of Naperville - the absolute best in the business), and they confirmed that its a 1.5 hour job on the 2.8, but the service rep also mentioned I was "lucky" it wasn't a 1.8T because those are a 5 hour job since you have to drop the subframe.

All in all, doesn't sound like it will be too bad.

Beemer832
06-26-2008, 02:22 PM
I could be wrong but I think the oil pan is up under the subframe, not sure if you have clearance to remove it without droping the subframe or not.

Did you check to make sure the oil pan was the culprit and it didnt just rip your oil filter off? That COULD be a much easier fix.

Either way good luck, it wont be fun no matter what happens
Just make sure you document really well what happened, where, waht time, any pictures with a measurement of the speed bump as well as witnesses. Just make sure you get pictures or some good evidence that will help your case. And obviously dont take the pr!ck position on the issue because they will straight up blow you off, then you'll goto court and by the time thats done ull be in the whole.....

good luck
josh

gotaudi
06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
it isnt a hard job, it is just nuts and bolts. you should do it yourself

JaVa
06-26-2008, 05:57 PM
really easy to do yourself!!! get under there and look its obvious.

Lugi20
07-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Sorry, haven't posted in a few days. I realize this is a pretty easy job on the 2.8, do I have to loosen or remove the front sway bar to get at everything on the oil pan or can I just lift it up and swap?

whoace
07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Not to be offensive, but if you are not confident in looking for a leak, you definitely do not have the required skills to replace an oil pan properly. It's not as simple as removing the old pan and bolting up the new one, despite what others might lead you to believe. Take what you read with the whole shaker of salt.

Ewok_Fetus
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
What the fuck are some of you guys thinking? Have the city pay for it? Fuck no! Have the guy that hit the speed bump too fast pay for it! A fuckin speed bump is there to slow people down! You hit it too fast, too bad... That's like going through a red light and getting t-boned and blaming it on the city! If it was a pot hole or something related to mad road maintenance, then yes, proceed from there, but a fucking speed bump! This country is going just where I thought... Anyone here seen Idiocracy?

Ewok_Fetus
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Take what you read with the whole shaker of salt.

I think this dude needs a whole mine...

whoace
07-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes, I saw that movie...It was great. Pro Wrestler for President!! And that is truly what is happening to our society.

It was a speed bump, not a pot hole. If your car can't clear a speed bump without thrashing the underside, it is not safe to drive, PERIOD.

audiness
07-03-2008, 03:42 AM
What the fuck are some of you guys thinking? Have the city pay for it? Fuck no! Have the guy that hit the speed bump too fast pay for it! A fuckin speed bump is there to slow people down! You hit it too fast, too bad... That's like going through a red light and getting t-boned and blaming it on the city! If it was a pot hole or something related to mad road maintenance, then yes, proceed from there, but a fucking speed bump! This country is going just where I thought... Anyone here seen Idiocracy?

they are making speed bumps bigger and bigger to accomodate the Hummer H2's out there.

lotusgardener
07-03-2008, 06:14 AM
my friend just cracked her r32 oil pan and the city paid for it in no time.

I'm still waiting for the Water and Sewer authority to pay for mine, and that's since December.

OP, sorry for coming off rude, didn't mean for it sound that way.

Lugi20
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM

This post proves that it is 100% headed toward Idiocracy.

Were you there when I hit it? What if it was unmarked? Just a pavement-colored mega-huge bump in the ground? No sign, no stripes, night time driving. I probably took it somewhere between 25-30 mph, the posted limit, and that was PLENTY to completely rocket my car.

Idiocracy started when Suburbans and Hummers started rolling off the lot like candy, so cities had to make speed bumps that they could notice. Thanks for your ridiculously out of line rant, good luck in life.

Ewok_Fetus
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Were you there when I hit it? What if it was unmarked? Just a pavement-colored mega-huge bump in the ground? No sign, no stripes, night time driving. I probably took it somewhere between 25-30 mph, the posted limit, and that was PLENTY to completely rocket my car.

Idiocracy started when Suburbans and Hummers started rolling off the lot like candy, so cities had to make speed bumps that they could notice. Thanks for your ridiculously out of line rant, good luck in life.

No I wasn't there when you hit it... But it is called being cautious, knowing your surroundings, being alert... I really don't care if it was a clear speed bump, I still say it is your fault... And last I checked posted speed limits were not two different values... It was either 25 or 30... Just because the speed limit is 70 on the freeway, doesn't mean if I see a hazard I keep doing that speed, I slow down or go around... Post pics of this so called speed bump cause I don't believe you that it wasn't marked in any way, nor was it in a posted 25-30 zone... Plus if you don't even know how to spot a wet spot under your car and call it a leak, you should be the one to have "good luck in life" because I know I am fairly sucessful and have a happy family...

sixfiveoh
07-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Oh god.

This thread makes me cringe. Good luck.

ZAvant
07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Op, if you can look at a sink and tell where the water comes from, you can look under your car, and tell where the oil is coming from.

It will be really, really noticeable. Good luck with whatever happens. [up]

whoace
07-10-2008, 05:30 PM

What?!? I don't think you know what he means when he says "Idiocracy".

This is the funniest usage of the word to date. LOL! Using words that you don't know the meaning of, makes you look like an idiot. Especially, when you tell him, "good luck in life". And if these bumps were made so that Hummers and Suburbans could see them, why couldn't you?

If the bump was as big as you say it is, no matter what colour it is or what time of day it is, you should be able to see it. If you can't, you need glasses. It's a bloody bump protruding out of an otherwise FLAT road.

redsky
07-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Lower oil pan dealer's price is $205, and replacment time 1.6 hours. It actually is fairly easy to do yourself. You have to make sure that sealing surfaces are clean from old sealant, and I belive you may have to loosen up stabilizer bar, not sure however.

3point0
07-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow, as someone speaking strictly objectively, ewok_fetus and whoace are being huuuge douchebags. The point is not whom should pay for it, and as we have already established that it's a relatively easy and inexpensive job to do which the OP has stated he can complete himself, why are you still posting? He was just asking for help. I hope ignorance engulfs your response the next time you ask for help, as you have demonstrated so wholeheartedly in this thread. A few last words:
Ewok: if you are old enough to have a family, act your f****** age.

I'm done. Now proceed with your untiring batter of immaturity. Lugi20, good luck with your repairs.

Ewok_Fetus
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Wow, as someone speaking strictly objectively, ewok_fetus and whoace are being huuuge douchebags. The point is not whom should pay for it, and as we have already established that it's a relatively easy and inexpensive job to do which the OP has stated he can complete himself, why are you still posting? He was just asking for help. I hope ignorance engulfs your response the next time you ask for help, as you have demonstrated so wholeheartedly in this thread. A few last words:

I'm done. Now proceed with your untiring batter of immaturity. Lugi20, good luck with your repairs.

Sorry God, I won't do it again...

whoace
07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
3point0 STFU! How many people have you helped on this forum? How many people have Ewok and I helped? I clearly stated that if you can't figure out where oil is leaking from, an oil pan job is way out of your league. Did I start the bashing? Tell me, how do you change an oil pan? What are the torque specs and how many times do you have to divide it? What is the tightening sequence? A proper job is a little more complicated than you think.

Dlay
07-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Oh god.

This thread makes me cringe. Good luck.

Haha I agree.

If it was unmarked wouldn't you just called it a bump in the first post instead of a speed bump which is something that is always marked. Unmarked "speed" bumps don't ex hist.

Hope everything works out for you though and you don't have a problem with your car. [up]

3point0
07-12-2008, 10:32 PM
3point0 STFU!

Stoppzorz speaking inn 1337 speex! U R confuzorizing meeee!

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2008, 03:49 PM
A few last words:

I am acting my age... It is called "Growing up and taking responsability for your actions." Unlike your childish immature actions...

Tiluleshpingen
07-13-2008, 07:48 PM

IDIOCRACY is so funny. its got electrolyte.......
but speed bumps are not ment to be on the highway!!!!