PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering! Help Me!!!

Sobo
06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
1997 Audi A4, Quattro, Manual, 1.8l turbo

So I left school yesterday, noticing a whining noise...So i get home, check my fluids and find out my power steering reseviour is low and it has bubbles in it...So I go and buy Power steering fluid and leak stop.. Used a whole quart.

Today, I bought a new quart of power steering fluid and then a bottle of lucas oil.So, I fill her up, use the entire bottle of lucas oil as the day progresses and now I'm home and look on the driveway...

I see this! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/alexsobo/IMG00135.jpg

What is wrong!?

Help me...

Ewok_Fetus
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Don't ever use leak stop number 1...

But that looks like you need to change a steering rack... Pull the wheels and check the boots on the rack... I bet they are filled with fluid...

Sobo
06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
My rack boots are dry.

The oil squirts out, indicating pressure.

The pump is fine.

Does this mean my cars pressure hose is leaking?

Ewok_Fetus
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, if it is squirting out, WHERE is it squirting from?! Go take a look!

Sobo
06-06-2008, 05:36 PM
nvm...

Confirmed to be the rack..

I re-felt the rack boot, farther backed in was oil soaked...

I cut the ziptie off the boot end, and slid it off, and a ton of power steering fluid gushed out.

Whats a fair price to have a rack done?

audinutt
06-06-2008, 08:37 PM
you might not want to ever again use regular power steering fluid.
You probably either want a local rebuilder or a reman'd rack from a reputable place.

i ordered a rack seal kit from rock auto and took it to the local rebuilder total cost was around $250 2 years later still no leaks.

-richard

Ewok_Fetus
06-06-2008, 09:49 PM
You have to be careful with the rebuild kit though... When mine leaked, the shaft comming out had some pitting corrosion on it... This chewed up the seals so the whole rack needed to be replaced.... If you do seals with something like that, look forward to leaks again in the near future...

Nebone
06-06-2008, 11:02 PM
You have to be careful with the rebuild kit though... When mine leaked, the shaft comming out had some pitting corrosion on it... This chewed up the seals so the whole rack needed to be replaced.... If you do seals with something like that, look forward to leaks again in the near future...

Same happened to my brothers MK4.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436359_178_full.jpg

Notice the zip-tie? Previous owner/mechanic did this and a zip-tie does not seal nor hold. Use a metal clamp!

Get a remanufactured rack. Its a real pain to replace tho.