PDA

View Full Version : To Shave or Not to Shave..

BONFIRE074
06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
iv got my stock a4 bumper off all sanded down and ready for primer+paint(some asshole hit me and i was stupid enough to not make a police report)... but i was just thinking to maybe shave the washer nozles in the bumper? mine dont work anyway so its not like id be losing anything over it? whats everyones opinion? car is santorin blue btw, thanks

VTAudiA4
06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
shave em', it will look much cleaner.

TQMB5
06-04-2008, 07:07 PM
shave them and take the whole system out so you dont have to drain your windshield wiper fluid every time you want to take off your bumper

onemoremile
06-04-2008, 07:35 PM
shave them and take the whole system out so you dont have to drain your windshield wiper fluid every time you want to take off your bumper

^^ what he said. Mine is gone and his is too. If you really want to go all out then drop the 40 bucks to replace the washer tank with the non-headlight washer one. It is the same but doesn't have the hole in the bottom.

Blake260
06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
definitely shave the nastiness down in front....the girls love it. [:)]

LowSantorin
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
shaved for pleasure!

Squarrl
06-04-2008, 08:45 PM
washers are awesome!! fix them!!

djwimbo
06-04-2008, 11:10 PM

I just removed mine, and I didn't lose any more fluid than that which was in the washer lines.... granted I haven't used my washers either since then.

I'd say shave 'em. It looks good without them.

SurferForever
06-04-2008, 11:24 PM
go do work

aytheory
06-04-2008, 11:55 PM
i was told at least ppl who have snow in their area - those do come in handy - but if you are in a dry place like i am - you would want to shave them off as they pretty much do nothing

djwimbo
06-05-2008, 12:06 AM
It snows in my area, I handle that situation with brushing off my damn car. Yea, they're cool to show off the Honda people that don't understand luxury options, BUT they more annoy me than prove functional.
By the time I'm done doing that I have heat, and my seat heater is blazing.

BONFIRE074
06-05-2008, 05:10 AM
what exactly would i use to fill it? what would i use to re-enforce in behind the bumper?

Vreihenmotor6
06-05-2008, 08:28 AM

you know if you take the washer fluid hose and quickly point and hold it upward after disconnecting it you loose a very small amount of fluid

personaly I tuck mine in the rad support when the bumper is off

.Mad Hatter.
06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
same, you dont lose alot of fluid.

and also, they spray your hood more than your lights, lose em.

BONFIRE074
06-05-2008, 09:02 AM
what exactly would i use to fill it? what would i use to re-enforce in behind the bumper?

[confused]

took out the system today from the bumper, but need help with this, thanks

onemoremile
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM

Kitty Hair or Duraglass with body filler to finish it off.

http://www.crashsupply.com/csupply/images/items/evc869c.jpg

onemoremile
06-05-2008, 10:00 AM
i was told at least ppl who have snow in their area - those do come in handy - but if you are in a dry place like i am - you would want to shave them off as they pretty much do nothing

There was only one day last year that I could have used them but it was daylight so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. It would have taken a half minute to jump out and break the ice off them.

That ice on the lights is more than 1/4" thick. More than 1/2" in some places.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/onemoremile/IMG_5221.jpg

mike-2ptzero
06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Kitty Hair or Duraglass with body filler to finish it off.

http://www.crashsupply.com/csupply/images/items/evc869c.jpg

Just use the kitty hair so it fills in more then just the hole and then sand it down. Try to use no or very little body filler since it can crack.

onemoremile
06-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Good point. TQMB5 and I just did his. Keep the glass relatively thin. Lots of thin layers will resist cracking much better than a thick one. It will also keep it from shrinking in the curing oven which may crack the paint. Mine has a hairline crack part way around both openings.

loustylez
06-05-2008, 10:42 AM
when filling these holes and such, does the whole bumper need to be resprayed or just the portions you fill in and around it. i'm assuming any paint work like this, it's best to sand down the whole bumper and respray the whole thing? or are they able to blend it in.

onemoremile
06-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Small areas can sometimes be blended but for a part like this it will be easier and quicker to prep and paint the whole thing. Blending is usually reserved for unibody damage like a dented rear fender.