PDA

View Full Version : What Do You guys think about using STP Gas Treatment?

Betty1.8T
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
What Do You guys think about using STP Gas Treatment for a 2001 Audi A4. I want to be able to save "some" money I guess. Will I run into problems?

Squarrl
06-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I have a fifth gear episode where they did tests on a bunch of these including the STP. They noticed a decrease in power about 3% (they used a dyno) and lower fuel economy. They had 3 cars. 1 STI, a Clio i think, and i cant remember the last one.

Betty1.8T
06-04-2008, 02:33 PM
These tests are where they constantly use them when they fill up? So Im guessing that's a no.

bassed
06-04-2008, 02:33 PM
What Do You guys think about using STP Gas Treatment for a 2001 Audi A4. I want to be able to save "some" money I guess. Will I run into problems?

You won't save money. Lucas is good for cleaning the fuel system, but thats it. These cars get decent milage to begin with, if you want to save money then WALK or take PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION[headbang]

Betty1.8T
06-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks.

SoEvoL
06-04-2008, 10:20 PM
You won't save money. Lucas is good for cleaning the fuel system, but thats it. These cars get decent milage to begin with, if you want to save money then WALK or take PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION[headbang]

i use the lucas stuff every oil change, just buy the big jug and fill enough to treat one tank. with the cleaner in the system its not going to make power, its got heavy detergents that attempt to clean the spray nozzle to bring back the oem spray pattern supposedly. those detergents dont produce hp, the "hp" if you gain if any come from after the cleaner has done its job and restored or improved injector performance and any dirt in nozzle. if you rely on those 10 dollar NOS/outlaw/ect products to give you 3-10whp (what they claim) than you might as well invest in different options.

djwimbo
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Don't waste your money.
Any fuel system cleaner is only going to add alcohol and detergents to your fuel. The added alcohol has been known to eat away at the diaphram in fuel pressure regulators.

use quality fuel, and it'll take care of itself. You want more proof look into all the issues people have when switching to E85.

ModifiedA4
06-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Don't waste your money.
Any fuel system cleaner is only going to add alcohol and detergents to your fuel. The added alcohol has been known to eat away at the diaphram in fuel pressure regulators.

use quality fuel, and it'll take care of itself. You want more proof look into all the issues people have when switching to E85.

what? most cleaners use naptha and a combination of other gasoline solvent derivatives.

to Betty1.8T , you should periodically use a fuel system cleaner/injector cleaner like techron or seafoam. Like every other oil change.

onemoremile
06-05-2008, 06:26 AM
More like every 20k miles or when it feels like it needs it. Spending more money on ancillary products won't save money on fuel. What will save money is keeping the tires at 36-40 psi, a good alignment (can't overstate how critical this is to mpg), and keeping the engine in good running order. That usually means a clean air filter, good spark plugs, and no malfunctions.