PDA

View Full Version : Now its brown...

Just Quaff
06-04-2008, 08:32 AM
So I purchased the AWE vent pod boost gauge last month (after being on backorder for 6 months...) and it turned brown. Sorry about the pic, I took it with my phone. But you can see how the outer ring turned a light brown! I dont know what AWE or the company who made the gauge used for that piece, but it was originally black. I'm so damn irritated now. Anyone else having the same thing?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/JustQuaff/0603082001.jpg

[confused][confused][confused]

firstars
06-04-2008, 08:48 AM
haha wtf!

FACT
06-04-2008, 09:10 AM
if its plastic it probably is because of exposure to extended sun

Poopie
06-04-2008, 09:34 AM
awe would probably swap it for you

Jibberific
06-04-2008, 09:50 AM
That's weird man...... I've had mine in for a few months, in phoenix, and it still looks brand new... I even park my car outside in the sun

Just Quaff
06-04-2008, 09:57 AM
That's weird man...... I've had mine in for a few months, in phoenix, and it still looks brand new... I even park my car outside in the sun

Do you have the old one or the new model? Cause i was wondering if they just used a screwed up material for their new ones. Thats what I have.

And, yeah, its for sure from the sun. The bottom of the gauge is still black lol. I am going to call AWE today and ask them about it. But the issue is that they would have to replace the whole gauge. that little piece doesn't come off i think. It looks like its permanent.

Jibberific
06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
I have the older gauge, the kind that lights up red.

But hey man yours still looks better than mine does at the moment... I took it out of my old black interior car and put it in my new car that has the gray interior. I tried painting the vent gray to match, but it's not even close. It was impossible to find the right color gray. It stands out, and not in a good way

Just Quaff
06-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Oh man, dude thats weak. I would try and make a subtle theme in your car that you could paint match it too. Like a silver or a red or whatever suits your fancy. I dont want that copper/brown crap! thats my only dilemma, and its pissing me off. It matches nothing in my car.

kingtr
06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Seems like rather isolated problem. I have "new" type w/ white background/lights and black trim. I have owned the car for a year and a half, and bought the car w/ boost gauge installed. That being said, mine has been installed for at least 2 years, parked in the sun all the time, NO fading whatsoever. Maybe grab a black sharpie and try to make it black again. This may be easier route than yanking the entire thing and sending back to AWE (assuming they'd even swap it out for you).. Just a thought

Squarrl
06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Maybe its something you clean your car dash with

.Mad Hatter.
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
this is why you shouldnt spend 7 thousand dollars on a vent...DIY FTW!

Jibberific
06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
mine was only 139 + shipping for the whole kit. they had a sale on the old kind

Squarrl
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
i wouldnt use a marker... get some trim spray paint and spray the ring

Stampy
06-04-2008, 07:40 PM
damn thats sucks

Nebone
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Get brown leather interior to match the gauge ;)

Militant-Grunt
06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
this is why you shouldnt spend 7 thousand dollars on a vent...DIY FTW!

x2, Bought a prosport for 42 bucks and modded into vent, best investment ever.

Just Quaff
06-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Seems like rather isolated problem. I have "new" type w/ white background/lights and black trim. I have owned the car for a year and a half, and bought the car w/ boost gauge installed. That being said, mine has been installed for at least 2 years, parked in the sun all the time, NO fading whatsoever. Maybe grab a black sharpie and try to make it black again. This may be easier route than yanking the entire thing and sending back to AWE (assuming they'd even swap it out for you).. Just a thought

You must not have the new ones im talking about. I was one of the first to receive the new ones. It reads boost and goes to 30 psi now.

Im prob going to spray it. It just irritates me haha.

BROWN INTERIOR FTMFW!!!!!

kingtr
06-04-2008, 09:59 PM
You must not have the new ones im talking about. I was one of the first to receive the new ones. It reads boost and goes to 30 psi now.

Im prob going to spray it. It just irritates me haha.

BROWN INTERIOR FTMFW!!!!!

Ah, an even newer one, gotcha. I am serious though, black marker will make it black again. If that doesnt work, then spray it. I just don't think its suppose to look painted. But could look better w/ paint than plastic...

Just Quaff
06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah... but for the ridiculous price i paid for that gauge haha (god damn AWE raping people) I expect the quality of the materials to be outstanding. I dont really want to mess with painting at all. I like the smooth plastic look that it has.

I just called them today. So i am sure they will get back to me with one of their 2 sales associates next month some time. haha