PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding tire sizes.......

TighTT
06-03-2008, 10:30 AM
So....I have some new (to me) wheels in route. They are 17 x 8.......quite a departure from my usual 19 x 8.5's. What I would like is to run the 17's with a tire that doesn't look like a pontoon. I think the run of the mill 225-45-17 will look too bulky for me. So what I'm thinking is a 215-45-17...add some spacers for a tiny bit of poke...and lower the car a bit more. thoughts?

Obviously this is my first venture into the 17 inch/stretched tire world (definately not my forte) and I need some help/advise from the seasoned stretched tire pros! [up]

Here is how she sits as of now:

http://images34.fotki.com/v1194/photos/2/232908/896907/A4A4-vi.jpg

solowb5
06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
stretched 17s are going to look like skateboard wheels on the b5. Anyways the 215 will be a mild stretch. Will probally give the look I think you're after.

Nebone
06-03-2008, 11:14 AM
The 215 would create a nice streach on a 8" wire wheel but to get a good look it will need to tuck the fender as well.

Poopie
06-03-2008, 12:31 PM
go with a meaty tire. I think it looks awesome

A4_2.8tuner
06-03-2008, 07:09 PM
i would look into a 215 or possibly even a 205.

i'm running a 215/35/19 on my fronts right now and they have some decent stretch, so i can imagine it will only be better on a 17.

you might try posting in the wheel/tire forum over on vortex to see what those guys are running, you may be able to get a little bit better feedback as that is more the norm.

A4Rob
06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Go for 205's. I just picked up some 17x8s also. Ronal RE2's. They will be my time attack wheels!

98a4
06-03-2008, 07:15 PM
stretched 17s are going to look like skateboard wheels on the b5. Anyways the 215 will be a mild stretch. Will probally give the look I think you're after.

My wheels look like skateboard wheels?

Tight: I have experiance with this. 215 will be a rather mild strech, 205/45 would be better

I have 205/45/17 up front on 8.5, I can get you pictures to get an idea of the strech.

TighTT
06-03-2008, 10:20 PM
My wheels look like skateboard wheels?

Tight: I have experiance with this. 215 will be a rather mild strech, 205/45 would be better

I have 205/45/17 up front on 8.5, I can get you pictures to get an idea of the strech.

Word...pics would be great. I ordered 215-45-17's cause I need them ASAP....but I can always switch up later. I was waiting for your reply...but had to pull the trigger on a set of tires before the shop closed for the day.

TighTT
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Go for 205's. I just picked up some 17x8s also. Ronal RE2's. They will be my time attack wheels!

The Ronal's should be a good wheel.

I scored a set of my dream wheels:

http://www.swiftsperformance.co.uk/performance/images/A16.jpg

djwimbo
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM

Eww. that much tire stretch should be illegal in the Audi world. Leave that the Dubbers.

Here's a pic of 225/45R17's. They might be a bit tall for your liking.
(disregard the muffler in this pic) This is on stock sport suspension, lowered it would look a lot better.
http://photos-761.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v184/126/82/633539761/n633539761_554609_6078.jpg

98a4
06-04-2008, 03:40 AM
Eww. that much tire stretch should be illegal in the Audi world. Leave that the Dubbers.

Your crazy... you do know there are resason for streching other then looks right?

onemoremile
06-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Your crazy... you do know there are resason for streching other then looks right?

This I've gotta hear.

98a4
06-04-2008, 06:07 AM
This I've gotta hear.

How'd I know you'd get in this [O_O]

I'm not going off on performance and all that BS we have been through. This thread doesn't need to get dirty.

Streched tires allow you to run a wider and/or lower offset wheel at a lower ride height or with softer suspension and avoid rubbing without modification to the body of the car.

I would not be able to acheive the look I wanted without streched tires and I have not noticed one bit difference in handling. 99% of us don't push into turns hard enough to notice.

onemoremile
06-04-2008, 06:16 AM
So... stretching is still just for looks, right?

As low as your car is you probably wouldn't notice handling compromises beyond those that have already been made.

Stretching changes the shape of the contact patch to longer and narrower. This will be better for highway cruising than corner carving. Good thing too since hard cornering could overheat the sidewalls, break a bead, put the sidewall on the ground, or cause a number of other problems.

Stretched tires are the automotive equivalent of walking around with one pantleg rolled up.

98a4
06-04-2008, 06:27 AM
So... stretching is still just for looks, right?

As low as your car is you probably wouldn't notice handling compromises beyond those that have already been made.

Stretching changes the shape of the contact patch to longer and narrower. This will be better for highway cruising than corner carving. Good thing too since hard cornering could overheat the sidewalls, break a bead, put the sidewall on the ground, or cause a number of other problems.

Stretched tires are the automotive equivalent of walking around with one pantleg rolled up.

Opinion. Show me actual controled test of a properly sized tire, vs a streched tire.

I'm not getting in a pissing contest with you.

End of the day I'd rather have a car that is a balance of looks and performance. I would have no worries following another cars speed into a turn. Squared tires can overheat just the same, contact patch is smaller yes, but if generally if your streched you have a wider wheel anyway so it evens out. And I can't picture how the patch becomes longer? RD is the same, and if its inflated the same the lenght of the patch should be the same?

onemoremile
06-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Opinion. Show me actual controled test of a properly sized tire, vs a streched tire.

I'm not getting in a pissing contest with you.

End of the day I'd rather have a car that is a balance of looks and performance. I would have no worries following another cars speed into a turn. Squared tires can overheat just the same, contact patch is smaller yes, but if generally if your streched you have a wider wheel anyway so it evens out. And I can't picture how the patch becomes longer? RD is the same, and if its inflated the same the lenght of the patch should be the same?

Why don't you show me a competitive handler (autocrosser, road racer, etc.) with stretched tires? Good luck.

Yes they all have the potential to overheat but at a different rate. The contact patch has little to do with overheating and more to do with intended usage. The patch only grows slightly longer. Wider wheels have little to do with contact patch on a stretched tire. Your patch is actually smaller than with the correct wheel size because of the way the sidewalls are angled. The belts in a tire are meant to be in a certain position to maintain the contact patch. Change it and strange things happen. Regardless of whatever you really want to believe this compromises performance. Stretching is for looks and nothing more.

I'm not starting anything. You said this:

98a4
06-04-2008, 07:07 AM
I agree, and I wont fight with you because I'll loose :)

Your competely right, but running a 215 on an 8" wheel isn't even worth talking about, to most people it wouldn't make a difference, except it allows to push the wheels out further and ride lower, thats about the only positives. With that said, for my purpouses, I love it :)

onemoremile
06-04-2008, 07:44 AM
A 215 on an 8" wheel isn't even a stretch. A 205 or 195 definitely would be. All you've got to do is look up the manufacturer's recommended wheel width and go a little narrower.

All that really matters is that it is still safe and that you like it.