PDA

View Full Version : people who have installed rieger fronts

dmaize
05-31-2008, 07:35 PM
i searched. . . when i am fitting the rs4 bumper, where do i put the screws in the fender?

i have searched. but could not find any installs that showed. all of them just showed the gluing.

thanks in advance.

dmaize
05-31-2008, 08:28 PM
20 views?

317ssayzarc
05-31-2008, 08:32 PM
id like to know as well, this thing is very vague when it comes to mounting and reiger doesnt offer support as they dont make this bumper anymore [mad]

str8kustom
05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
what i did was where bumper reinforcement is i drilled the holes in the bumper so i can use the existing screws. the long ones. you have to adhear the reinforcement from your old bumper to the new one(rs4). then you will be able to work on the sides once that is on. what i did so it didnt look to smashed up against the fender was i drilled on the inner liner of the bumper to the supports on the sides. i used self tap screws i did x3 on each side. holds up very sturdy and looks good. i just took mine off. when i put it back on i willl take pics. hope that helped

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 06:31 AM
so you just put 3 screws thru the fender liner into the bumper on the sides?

bassed
06-01-2008, 07:34 AM
so you just put 3 screws thru the fender liner into the bumper on the sides?

Yup I used 2 that's all you need. I actually pulled it and am trying to make a bracket to use that will not crack and chip the Rieger skin, which has happened to mine and will happen to your's probably because I imagine you'll be pulling it on and off alot like myself.

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 07:53 AM
yea i was thinking of making a metal bracket with nuts welded onto it and putting bolts thru the fender liner into the bracket with the bumper inbetween... what you think about that?

bassed
06-01-2008, 08:10 AM
yea i was thinking of making a metal bracket with nuts welded onto it and putting bolts thru the fender liner into the bracket with the bumper inbetween... what you think about that?

I like that idea, but possibly do the reverse with the bolt welded and the nuts being free. I'd do the bracket on the fender and the bolts going through it, with the nuts going on inside the fender lining.

beejohn
06-01-2008, 08:38 AM
i did 3 screws into the wheel liner. as well as 2 vertical screws into the fender where the fender is flat and the bumper meets it. works perfectly

dmaize
06-01-2008, 09:32 AM
does any one know of a install writeup with photos?

bassed
06-01-2008, 11:40 AM
does any one know of a install writeup with photos?

Not to my knowledge, but I can shoot some pictures later this afternoon of how mine is installed. My bumper support is independent of the skin these days and that is how I'd recommend people install it. That type of install makes pulling the bump skin on and off much easier IMO. I have been thinking about the bracket Issac and I mentioned above and I spent an hour at Homie D today trying to find just the right connection but could not. Came home and looked online and I think I found a good solution though Self Ejecting fastners (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1573,221_Self-Ejecting-Fasteners.html) they have a bunch of other items that may work as well.

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Not to my knowledge, but I can shoot some pictures later this afternoon of how mine is installed. My bumper support is independent of the skin these days and that is how I'd recommend people install it. That type of install makes pulling the bump skin on and off much easier IMO. I have been thinking about the bracket Issac and I mentioned above and I spent an hour at Homie D today trying to find just the right connection but could not. Came home and looked online and I think I found a good solution though Self Ejecting fastners (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1573,221_Self-Ejecting-Fasteners.html) they have a bunch of other items that may work as well.

do you just use spacers to adjust the height of it? how would it sit level otherwise?

bassed
06-01-2008, 01:03 PM
do you just use spacers to adjust the height of it? how would it sit level otherwise?

Expanding foam[;)] That way there is only one way it can fit, which would be perfect[>_<]

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 01:23 PM
ahhh, i see... thats very creative [up] since i always am working in the under the bumper area... ive put 300+ miles on the car w/o a bumper so far lol, havent gotten pulled over yet but i want to mount this thing asap once ER makes a revised batch of rebar [mad]

bassed
06-01-2008, 01:27 PM
ahhh, i see... thats very creative [up] since i always am working in the under the bumper area... ive put 300+ miles on the car w/o a bumper so far lol, havent gotten pulled over yet but i want to mount this thing asap once ER makes a revised batch of rebar [mad]

As long as you run the bumper support you're technically legal[;)] I ran that way for 2+ months with a 80mile round trip commute 5 days a week, before I grabbed a 2nd car[:D]

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 01:32 PM
As long as you run the bumper support you're technically legal[;)] I ran that way for 2+ months with a 80mile round trip commute 5 days a week, before I grabbed a 2nd car[:D]

i was told this is not the case in RI, but even if that was true, i still need my rebar from ER [:|]

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 01:35 PM
just found this from the RIDOT inspection booklet:

3.6.1 BUMPERS - Passenger type vehicles
Inspect every passenger type vehicle for bumpers (front and rear) according to the original manufacturers’ specifications.

T3hD0gg
06-01-2008, 02:09 PM
just found this from the RIDOT inspection booklet:

3.6.1 BUMPERS - Passenger type vehicles
Inspect every passenger type vehicle for bumpers (front and rear) according to the original manufacturers’ specifications.

The rebar is technically the bumper just like you see on trucks or Jeeps which have metal bumpers with no skins. The bumper "cover" doesn't do too much for safety and is more for aerodynamics. You should be fine without running the skin but IANAL.

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 02:18 PM
The rebar is technically the bumper just like you see on trucks or Jeeps which have metal bumpers with no skins. The bumper "cover" doesn't do too much for safety and is more for aerodynamics. You should be fine without running the skin but IANAL.

in that case i may just weld me up a rebar and bolt it on [:d]

bassed
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
in that case i may just weld me up a rebar and bolt it on [:d]

Just run it like this and be done with it[:D]

http://BASSED.smugmug.com/photos/305337756_28jtS-M.jpg

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 02:44 PM
i just might until ER gets going on the production... i like to show the coolers up front anyways lol, its intimidating imo

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff52/crazyass713/0411081322.jpg

bassed
06-01-2008, 02:54 PM
i just might until ER gets going on the production... i like to show the coolers up front anyways lol, its intimidating imo

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff52/crazyass713/0411081322.jpg

What Oil Cooler setup is that again? I know USRT has a complete kit I'm eyeing up, but I'm running out of room[rolleyes] I started on my Snow Stg 2 kit today and realized with my piping and all the other crap I have no room anywhere for the pump and will need to think long and hard before I go installing it[headbang]

317ssayzarc
06-01-2008, 03:02 PM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3797522

check that thread... im crazyass713 and jacob@ina [up]

kingtr
06-02-2008, 12:29 AM
i did 3 screws into the wheel liner. as well as 2 vertical screws into the fender where the fender is flat and the bumper meets it. works perfectly

Yup, I second that. But I have 2 screws into the wheel well liner and 1 screw vertical into the fender (per side). It kind of just sits on there, need to figure out more secure way.

Pointmeby
06-02-2008, 08:27 AM
I just converted mine from screws into the fender to Dzus fasteners. (Self ejecting fasteners) Much cleaner and easier to use. The screw the bumper into the fender method was pretty ghetto and eventually cracked the bumper skin.

The Dzus fasteners are mounted in the fender liner so they are invisible as well. Let me know if anyone wants to see pictures.

317ssayzarc
06-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I just converted mine from screws into the fender to Dzus fasteners. (Self ejecting fasteners) Much cleaner and easier to use. The screw the bumper into the fender method was pretty ghetto and eventually cracked the bumper skin.

The Dzus fasteners are mounted in the fender liner so they are invisible as well. Let me know if anyone wants to see pictures.

of course we do lol, please post em up [up]

kingtr
06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
of course we do lol, please post em up [up]

Yup, 2nd that. I have never been pleased with how my bumper mounts, and have broken off multiple parts of the inside of the bumper skin (the stiff parts in wheel well that connect to wheel well liner).

bassed
06-02-2008, 09:45 AM

Did you use the kind I linked to above?

_audible_
06-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I had mine ziptied to the fenders. No sag, lasted couple of years.

bassed
06-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I had mine ziptied to the fenders. No sag, lasted couple of years.

BTDT it's not condusive for those of us who work on the car alot and constantly take the skin on and off. It also doesn't produce a great fitment IMO.

Pointmeby
06-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Here's some quick (and dirty) images of the install.

My fender liners are pretty beat up from running oversized track tires.

The Dzus fastener in place:
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN0351.jpg

Showing the fastener and catch:
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN0352.jpg

Installed:
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSCN0354.JPG

goody6691
06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
nice setup, might have to try that myself

Eurotuned_A4
06-02-2008, 03:07 PM
hmm, i might need to try that was well. do they fasteners hold pretty tightly? im just curious if that would pop off over some road vibrations.

how the hell do you get those fasteners on though?

Das General
06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
My reiger is held on by 2 bolts on each of the fenders. It lines up perfectly, no sag, AND it comes off and on in about 5 minutes.

goody6691
06-02-2008, 03:47 PM
if installed correctly dzus fasteners will not come off. they are spring loaded, with a twist to turn.

Pointmeby
06-02-2008, 03:50 PM
A general idea of how they are installed:
http://www.s-sengineering.com/

I have a backing support on the one that goes into the ABS fender.

It takes seconds to remove each side. Put a screwdriver in the slot and turn.

The fasteners lock into place with a spring. I haven't run a track event with them yet, but they are race-type body fasteners so I don't see them popping out.

Eurotuned_A4
06-02-2008, 04:17 PM
good to hear. i may do this sometime if i find the energy...lol.