PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Help

INFAMOUS9986
05-31-2008, 01:42 PM
[mad]Today I'm driving my 96 audi a4 quatro when my clutch pedals goes dead. I can push it all the way down, no shifting happens what so ever. When it goes all the way down I gotta pull it back up, And if I push it to far it stays down once again. And the time this is all happening cant shift what so ever, I dry shifted and got out of the middle of traffic... never had a blown clutch before or know what to look for..... IS my clutch shot? and For a stock fix what does it cost range wise? any help would be great thanks

tonelee1316
05-31-2008, 02:04 PM
iy sounds like your clutch master cylinder is shot

audinutt
05-31-2008, 02:48 PM
definitely hydraulics, change the master and slave and be done with it.

-richard

INFAMOUS9986
05-31-2008, 03:18 PM
How much would that run me you think?

INFAMOUS9986
05-31-2008, 03:18 PM
be done with it as in sell it?

t1demont1
05-31-2008, 03:46 PM
he means be done with it as in the problem.

Flash
05-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Ummmm... No he means replace parts that are necessary, then your problem will be over.

Okay, if you're pushing in the pedal, it's effortless and it won't return that can mean a few things;

1. Your clutch master/slave cylinders are busted.
2. You have no fluid in your system.

So, first go check the fluid reservoir. Look and see if there is fluid between min and max. If you can't do that, go to reputable mechanic. Also, have a look under your car where you parked it, any puddles?

How was shifting before this incident?

As far as replacement I've seen 2.8 master cylinders for around 120, where as the 1.8t's are around 80 last time I checked.

djwimbo
06-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I just replaced my clutch master cylinder, I think I paid like $68 or so. The slave cylinder is the pricey one, like $110.

If the pedal is sticking to the floor you have a hydrualic issue. Most likely you have a leak. Unless you had an issue leading up to this that you may not have noticed. Both the master and the slave are recommended to be replaced at the same time.

FYI AutoZone has the exact same parts for Master/Slave as ECS, Perf Cafe, etc. carry and you don't have to pay shipping. AutoZone will put them in a different box, but they're made by the exact same ppl.