PDA

View Full Version : Brake question!

Seerlah
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
***I do search, so please leave your flame suits at the cleaners***

I am in need of new rotors soon and figure I will just upgrade to the A8 rotors, tt carriers, and steel brake lines. Then when time comes and funds is sufficient, upgrade to the Porche calipers. My question is what about the rears? I read a thread to just use different pads.

just run more aggressive pads all around, Hawk HPS should be great for a daily driver.

cheapest brake upgrade I know of.

But the thing is I would prefer to have my car ready for the Porche calipers when time comes. So, what should I do? Meaning that when I get the Porche calipers what am I to do about the rears? Is there a certain set up I can run with for the rear that works with the A8 front w/tt carriers that when time comes I can just replace the rear caliper to compliment the Porche caliper? And what rear caliper would that be when time comes (so I can just add this to my subscription for future referance). Thanks!

ExSRAaron
05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I think the common upgrade is S4 rear brakes...Maybe run SS lines, HP+ or HPS pads all around..you'll also need 17' wheels.

Seerlah
05-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Do I need 17" wheels for the A8 rotor upgrade or just the S4 complete brake kit upgrade?

onemoremile
05-19-2008, 06:05 PM
When you upgrade to the Porsche calipers you'll also be installing new pads. That means new rotors unless you want your old grooved rotors chewing up those fancy new pads.

It isn't a staged upgrade. They just happen to use the same rotors.

Boxster calipers use A8 or A6 3.0 rotors but have a specific carrier.
Boxster S calipers use S4 rotors but have their own specific carrier.
The stock calipers can use A8 rotors with the TT carrier.

The front brake lines won't carry over either. You can still do just the back four or better yet all six now and then change the fronts with the Porsche calipers. That is by far the most economical way to go.

Seerlah
05-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Seems that this one won't be done for a while then. Cheap compared to other upgrades, yet still pricey when I have funds tied up in other investments. But what about the rear? Which rotors to go with? Do I stay stock and just place HPS pads? Thanks!

ShawFM
05-19-2008, 06:28 PM
As far as the fronts A8/TT or A8 with Boxster calipers will fit in my '00 16" sport wheels. The boxsters need about a 3-4mm spacer, the A8 / TT do not. The rears I put the S4 rotors and calipers. Very easy swap very nice upgrade. S4 front conversion IMO not worth it, but there are a couple 16" wheels that will work, most don't.
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/72954/pict0926.jpg

Seerlah
05-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks!

ExSRAaron
05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Do I need 17" wheels for the A8 rotor upgrade or just the S4 complete brake kit upgrade?

17's for the A8 upgrade, and 16+ for S4 rear upgrade...

I would just do A8 front/stock rear with HP+ pads and SS lines all around..then upgrade ur calipers sometime in the future..