PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox means of replacing rear diff bushings?

tamadrumr88
05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
About a year ago I went to install the stern rear diff bushings. I was using a hydraulic press and the first bushing came out fine (a tad loud, but came out clean nonetheless) while the second (I believe it was the passenger side) put up a struggle. In the end the bushing did not budge and I ended up cracking the collar around the bushing (it's white aluminum so it's obviously not the strongest material known to man and I did not want to have it repaired because the heat from welding could possibly further weaken the material).

48 hours later I locate a spare rear diff crossmember at a cost of $60 and I attempt the same thing, ultimately cracking the passenger side collar of the rear diff mount while trying to remove that damned bushing. I curse myself, and my audi, and vow to never again attempt this procedure. I purchase yet another rear diff carrier and decide to stick with the stock rear bushings even though they clunk like a beast.... so I'm out $120, ~6hrs of my time, and nothing has changed.

Fast forward to today, I decide I want to again take on this behemoth. What are my options? Should I try first cutting the metal insert out first, remove the remains of the bushing, and try to press the metal sleeve out with a hammer/flathead screwdriver??? I've heard that pouring lighter fluid on the bushing and setting it ablaze may loosen things up a bit

Any other ideas? I really hope that the third attempt is successful [:|]

Poopie
05-14-2008, 08:36 PM
hhmmm would take a torch and just burn them out.

tamadrumr88
05-14-2008, 08:38 PM
How do you suggest removing the metal sleeve around the bushing inside of the collar??? If that doesn't come out the new bushings won't press into place

1NaudiA4
05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
very careful with a saw zaw might work. I used a dremel with a hammer and chizel... worked wonderfully.

Solaris
05-15-2008, 05:56 AM
I used a hacksaw to remove mine. Just be careful not to cut beyond that metal sleeve.

audiness
05-15-2008, 07:24 PM
drill the shit out of them first. then chisel. then screwdriver.

black00A4
05-15-2008, 08:11 PM
I used a heat gun, got them so hot they turned to plastic haha. Your best bet is heat but watch out cuz it stinks.