PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timjadams
05-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Need some help. I replaced my valve cover gasket, spark plugs, cabin filter the other day. Car was running fine. I cleaned my engine. Car was running fine. Maybe about an 1 after that, my car started idling rough. I checked the vacuum hoses, and intake hoses. I re-seated the connectors to the mass flow and intake. I even reseated the battery connections to try and reset it. I allowed it to run for a while and noticed smoke coming from inside. I pulled over and stoped and noticed that the exhaust pipe that connects to the cat (after the cat) was burning like a coal on a bar-b-q. I let it sit for a couple of hours and applied water. I ven let it sit over night just in case. Woke up this morning-same thing. Rough idle. Do you think my cat is clogged? I don't know. Need some help........

offroader1006
05-15-2008, 11:15 AM
do you have any codes?

cleaning an engine usually means ignition issues.

if you are seeing smoke you could be overheating the cat due to extra HC's in the exhaust from misfires.

timjadams
05-15-2008, 01:28 PM
What are HC's? I am a nOOb, so excuse me for asking. What can I do until I get the VAG Tool for codes?

EOD-5
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
hyrdocarbon levels

its an emission thing....http://www.epa.gov/oms/invntory/overview/pollutants/hydrocarbons.htm

timjadams
05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
What do I do next?

offroader1006
05-16-2008, 08:54 AM
do you have any codes?

see above

audinutt
05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Try pulling your coils and check for condensations, has happened to me the day after an engine cleaning.

-richard

timjadams
05-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks!! I pulled the coils and had a foul plug....probably from engine cleaning. Replaced and the car is fine... Thanks guys and gals(if any)