PDA

View Full Version : Opening my hood....

1hotA4
05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Well i went to open my hood today b/c i cant seem to get any boost at all, and the hood release latch is loose, i looked under there and i see the cable and it comes down to the latch but when i pull on it, it doesnt release the hood, any help. I looked under search but i didnt see anything that really had to do with the inside latch only the outside.... Thanks in Advance!

Peace!

AudiA4_20T
05-12-2008, 02:08 PM
take some pliers and pull really hard on it

mike-2ptzero
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Is the whole cable(including cover) moving with the latch?

1hotA4
05-12-2008, 02:14 PM
yeah mike when i pull on the lever on the left you can see the cable move, i dont know that it is pulling any thing but you can see that is moving...

1hotA4
05-12-2008, 02:30 PM
take some pliers and pull really hard on it

didnt work....

1hotA4
05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
anyone else got any solutions???

BONFIRE074
05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
when mine didnt open i had to get under the car with a thin screw driver that was about 2 or 2 1/2 feet long and it eventually popped it open..kind of a pain but it gets the job done

1hotA4
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
shit that sux, my car is like 2 or so inches off the ground and a bitch to jack..... Im about to just take it up to audi and have them fix and say FUCK it! Im so pissed off at this point, I have no boost, i cant open my damn hood. Going to go drive the car off a cliff now.... O wait i live in atlanta, there isnt any....[headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang]

iin10ded
05-12-2008, 04:05 PM
BREATHE!!! this is not the end of the world. just a typically audi massive PITA.

i just looked at mine, and there's no way you're going to be able to do it through the front of the car [intuitively enough, as that would make render the latch useless]. at least none that i can see on my 98. however it's a straight shot from under the car up to the back of the lock mechanism where the cable attaches. my guess is either the cable broke, or the little tensioner spring broke.

drive your car onto a couple 2x4's to get it up an inch or so to get a jack under it. you shouldn't need too much room. or get a set of plastic ramps.

the boost issue is likely something simple - vacc line popped off, hose clamp went loose, etc.

ILoveT
05-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah go ahead and drive it off a cliff.

OR

Get a long handle screw driver and pry it back through. Work with it. Make it moan. But seriously if you just take 20 minutes and think about this situation with the screw driver in your hand you can easily complete the challenge in front of you. This has happened to me also.

whoace
05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Keep pulling the release while you have someone hit the front of the hood (near the actual latch).

mike-2ptzero
05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
yeah mike when i pull on the lever on the left you can see the cable move, i dont know that it is pulling any thing but you can see that is moving...

But do you see the actual cable move while the housing the cable goes into stays still? The housing of the cable must stay still or your going to end up jusing pulling the whole thing forward and it wont release the the latch allowing the hood to pop up.

Also check to make sure the latch lever at the front grill isn't stuck because that will keep the hood from unlatching.

1hotA4
05-13-2008, 05:43 AM
IM currently at work so ill try some of that stuff this afternoon when i get off.... it just pisses me off that something so simple can mess up a day. And damn i was having an ok day! LOL

This really only fueled the problem b/c i dont have any boost right now. The no boost problem happend the other day(when the hood was working) and i looked all over the car and under it to find anything loose and i couldnt find anything. So the guy that normally works on my car said its probably my BOV going bad. B/c every once in a while it will catch boost. But as of the past 2 days I have no boost and no way to get in to look at the motor at all.

STupid audi, should have bought a Suby![rolleyes]

Mike, When i pull the lever it seems that the cable is moving, with the black housing that is around it as it comes down. I was thinking it may be a snapped cable b/c normally the whole assembly doesnt move. Just the cable.
And how do i check and see if the latch on the hood is stuck? Lift the car?

Thanks guys for all your help!

mike-2ptzero
05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
IM currently at work so ill try some of that stuff this afternoon when i get off.... it just pisses me off that something so simple can mess up a day. And damn i was having an ok day! LOL

This really only fueled the problem b/c i dont have any boost right now. The no boost problem happend the other day(when the hood was working) and i looked all over the car and under it to find anything loose and i couldnt find anything. So the guy that normally works on my car said its probably my BOV going bad. B/c every once in a while it will catch boost. But as of the past 2 days I have no boost and no way to get in to look at the motor at all.

STupid audi, should have bought a Suby![rolleyes]

Mike, When i pull the lever it seems that the cable is moving, with the black housing that is around it as it comes down. I was thinking it may be a snapped cable b/c normally the whole assembly doesnt move. Just the cable.
And how do i check and see if the latch on the hood is stuck? Lift the car?

Thanks guys for all your help!

If the black part is moving with the cable the cable isn't being pulled at all. You just need to put the black part back behind the metal holder so that the cable will be pulled when you pull the latch release. If you need I can take some pics today.

1hotA4
05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
yeah if you can that would be awesome.... If you need an email addy let me know.

Thanks mike!