PDA

View Full Version : help me diagnose my clutch problem

xcellorator
05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I have noticed when it gets hot out sometimes when I push the clutch down it doesn't come back up. Sometimes it will come up enough to shift gears, sometimes not at all. Usually the clutch grabs fine, as it has all winter. My only thoughts right now are to bleed the system, and if that doesn't work maybe master and slave cylinder. Any suggestions?

Eurotuned_A4
05-07-2008, 03:37 PM
its the clutch system. there are 2 things i had to replace with thsi problem. first the little part under the clutch peddle, then the one on top of the tranny. i did it at seperate times, but they both failed right after each other. i was later told from a shop that you shoudl replace both together. if your peddle is getting stuck though, sounds like the it is most likely one of those cylinders

and yeah, i wouldnt drive it like that unless you want to end up paying for towing and a fix

xcellorator
05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
did you have the same problem with the warm weather? what did the parts look like?

audiness
05-07-2008, 05:43 PM
start with the slave cylinder, its cheaper.

djwimbo
05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
start with the slave cylinder, its cheaper.

Neither are cheap.

Bleed the system first, doing it the old school way with two people helps.
You haven't removed the "helper spring" have you? I'd put it back in if you have. Reason I'd say bleed it first is that even with the helper spring in place, when you bleed the system, after opening the bleeder, the pedal will stick to the floor. Similar to your current problem.

If there aren't any leaks, and the you're not low on fluid, I'd look into the flex hose that goes to the slave cylinder. It's possible that it's deteriorating internally. No promises, but a possibility. If it's been removed it could also be twisted to hell and acting up b/c of it.

If you want a non-text book and non-forum friendly way to double check if you have air in the system, shoot me a PM. I learned this one by trying it when I was diagnosing my own issue w/ my clutch.