PDA

View Full Version : Cluster Swap: S4 to 1.8tq

timjadams
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Can you swap a 1.8tq cluster with a S4? Looking to buy.......

onemoremile
05-08-2008, 09:35 AM
It depends on the year of your A4. Do you have a digital or analog clock?

timjadams
05-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Digital clock. I have a 2000 A4 1.8tq with ATW engine Vin "C"

onemoremile
05-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Then they at least speak the same language. That will help. I still don't know how to complete the swap though.

biketsai
05-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I do not think so, i searched a little while back

audinutt
05-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I am pretty sure you can, you will have to recode the s4 cluster for a 4 cylinder if that is indeed what you have.
Also the redline will be inaccurate but everything else should work, check audiworld for more info on this.

-richard

sean1.8t
05-23-2008, 08:32 PM
you can. people do it all the time to all kinds of different audi's. not uncommon at all

I am pretty sure you can, you will have to recode the s4 cluster for a 4 cylinder if that is indeed what you have.
Also the redline will be inaccurate but everything else should work, check audiworld for more info on this.

-richard

what does the redline and number of cylliders have to do with his guage cluster?

audinutt
05-23-2008, 11:40 PM
you can. people do it all the time to all kinds of different audi's. not uncommon at all

what does the redline and number of cylliders have to do with his guage cluster?

The redline on the s4 is higher than the a4 and the tach will read different since the s4 has a 6 cylinder unless it's recode via a vagcom.

-richard

sean1.8t
05-23-2008, 11:46 PM
^apparently im not getting it [:(]

sean1.8t
05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
unless im taking crazy pills right now....

audinutt
05-24-2008, 09:40 AM
As I recall the redline on a s4 is 7200, this was my concern and if it's not recoded for a 4 cylinder it will read low on his tach as well.

-richard

sean1.8t
05-24-2008, 10:14 AM
anyone want to set this strait?

pac1085
05-24-2008, 10:15 AM
unless im taking crazy pills right now....

yeah..you are :P

You need to re-code the cluster with VAG-COM and tell it if it's a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder. I don't remember the reasoning behind it , but if you don't, your readings will be off...

I know with my standalone ECU you need to tell it how many cylinders the car has so it outputs the correct signal.

fred2ka4
05-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I do know the rpm on an S4 is 7200 as I have been looking at these clusters as well. I have done research and found the same information that is being said here to be true. You will need a Vag-Com to change the reading from a 6 cyl. to a 4 cyl.

I have wanted to go this route because my car now redlines at 7200rpm anyways because of the APR Stage III

Ewok_Fetus
05-24-2008, 10:25 AM
also, the number of cyllinders will not matter either. the crank sensor reads how many times the CRANK spins. not how many times, all number of pistons rotate on their own

I though one revolution would be one revolution... A turn is a turn... If one piston makes one full cycle of up and down, it would be the same as the crank making one full turn would it not? 1 RPM would be the motors 1st cyl going from DTC to DTC would it not?

audinutt
05-24-2008, 01:06 PM
I though one revolution would be one revolution... A turn is a turn... If one piston makes one full cycle of up and down, it would be the same as the crank making one full turn would it not? 1 RPM would be the motors 1st cyl going from DTC to DTC would it not?

yes but the 6 cylinder clusters are different codings, dont ask me why but i know it's been an issue in the past.

Thanks for backing me up Phil I knew i wasnt taking any crazy pills... well this week at least ;)
-richard

Ewok_Fetus
05-24-2008, 01:24 PM
yes but the 6 cylinder clusters are different codings, dont ask me why but i know it's been an issue in the past.

Thanks for backing me up Phil I knew i wasnt taking any crazy pills... well this week at least ;)
-richard

Yes, I know... I was just stating to sean that a revolution was a revolution no matter how you look at it... In the older cars, you hook a tach up to the coil and when the coil fires, a signal is sent to the tach... You will have the coil firing less often with a 4 cyl than with a 6... I don't fell like explaining right now... But less frequncy means less average power which is what a tach is based off of...

mrtimluu
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
You should also change the soft coding to match your current cluster. Ross tech has a "how to" article for cluster swapping. So match the cylinder count and carry over your soft coding to the new cluster. There was even a section on rosstech to change the mileage to match, but i think it only works on clusters will really low miles.

audinutt
06-13-2008, 03:52 AM
Yes when you say low miles, hey mean less than 100 km's or 62 miles. so if you've driven the car farther than that you are out of luck.

-richard