PDA

View Full Version : not starting, but turning over

teanza
05-07-2008, 08:40 AM
hey dudes-

i tried to pick the most appropriate forum with the most exposure. if u need 2 move it, feel free!

my 1995 90s has been taking 4ever 2 start for the past week, and 2day it decided not 2 start @ all. it turns-over, though. it was taking ~10 minutes 2 start over the last few days; just had 2 turn the key 4ever. once it starts, it runs fine.

my guess is electrical. it sparks, and once running it is good, so i ruled-out fuel pump itself.

what should i check? relays? i need help :(

thanx so much!

~tina~

Ewok_Fetus
05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Try using a different brand of fuel. Also, try replacing the fuel filter. I had a tank of bad gas once and had the same symptoms. At least it is a start. This is the 5 cyl right?

teanza
05-07-2008, 08:58 AM
thanx 4 ur reply. fuel filter is on the list, but i assumed since it isn't hesitating that would maybe not be it? it is a 6-cyl.

:)

~tina~

Ewok_Fetus
05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Do you have a CEL on or anything? What about when you first turn the key on, does it come on then?

Squarrl
05-07-2008, 10:31 AM
My buddies coupe quattro 5 cyl has a simliar issue, like you turn the key nothing happens, wait a bit do it again start like nothing was the matter. Does your car have a distributor since u might want to check the timing on that.
Btw the issue is still with the coupe even after rebuilding the whole car.

teanza
05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
no CEL, should have mentioned. and when i turn the key, it turns just fine, just doesn't run :(

i definitely should have also mentioned (sorry) that it only does this after sitting for 6+ hours!

~tina~

audinutt
05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
possibly a bad temp sensor, if it's failing it will enrichen the fuel too much.
when it was starting would it stumble at first then clear up?

-richard

andyrew
05-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Fuel, Spark or compression, those are the things needed to make the engine run.

Check your spark plugs, check your wires, check your fuel injectors or at least your fuel pressure.

Try turning your key on, waiting for the fuel pump to pressurize the system and then starting it. Put an inline fuel pressure gauge so you can check if you are getting pressure.

Does it crank slow? How is your battery? Fully charged? They need 12 volts to be able to throw the spark (check it cranking) and allow the computer to run properly.

GL

onemoremile
05-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Coolant temp sensor could be saying the engine is warm when it is cool. This will make starting difficult. Mine had the opposite problem and would use a cold start map when hot and starting was problematic.

teanza
05-07-2008, 12:24 PM
thanx guys!

it does not stumble @ first. when it starts (finally), it starts fast and normal. i checked the spark, and it does spark. i have not checked fuel pressure yet, but starting fluid doesn't work if that helps @ all. haven't thought about coolant temp. sensor. what other symptoms would that show? temp. gauge is operable.

~tina~ :)

teanza
05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
it not longer sparks; i must have seen it's last 1 lol. testing injectors now. n e 1 else ever have sumthing like this?

~tina~

Ewok_Fetus
05-08-2008, 10:16 AM
it not longer sparks; i must have seen it's last 1 lol. testing injectors now. n e 1 else ever have sumthing like this?

~tina~

Well, if it no longer has any spark, you may want to check to see if your cam position sensor works... OR, when was the last time the timing belt was changed... Is it just that one cylinder with no spark or all of them?

onemoremile
05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
thanx guys!

it does not stumble @ first. when it starts (finally), it starts fast and normal. i checked the spark, and it does spark. i have not checked fuel pressure yet, but starting fluid doesn't work if that helps @ all. haven't thought about coolant temp. sensor. what other symptoms would that show? temp. gauge is operable.

~tina~ :)

My 94 Jetta had a couple bad sensors and I had to pump the gas when I started it. The mechanic explained that the car used different fuel maps depending on if the car was cold, warming up, or hot and that if the wrong map was used it could flood, run rich, or run cold, or just be tempermental. Yours may be this way. It could also be a bad fuel filter that gets blocked up after a long drive or something similar.

ILoveT
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Not sure if this has been addressed but I'm pretty sure there was a TSB about this.

Sigma 3
05-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Hmmmm my v6 just started doing the same thing. It cranks but wont turn over on the firt try no matter how long i crank it. However if i crank it, turn it off and crank it again it fires right up[confused] I think its a fuel issue but i could be wrong.

teanza
05-08-2008, 12:17 PM
hey all-

thanx alot. i would like 2 know how 2 check the crank pos. sensor, as i think that may be it now. how much of whatever should it put out? i have a multimeter, just no good at using it lol. thanx!

~tina~

teanza
05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
bump :D

~tina~

Ewok_Fetus
05-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I think to see a signal from a CPS, you need an O-Scope... It will read a digital signal of 0-5V... Or an easy way to check is to replace it with a known good one... I dunno about the 12V and how easy they are to change...

teanza
05-09-2008, 07:00 AM
no scope :( ! ha, i wish parts places would take-back parts after u 'try them out'. f($#k it; i will make them take it back lol. i've tested so much so far, i can't think of what else it would be aside from the ECM(AH!).

~tina~

teanza
05-09-2008, 09:35 AM
ok so i found the ohms specs, tested the crank pos. sensor, and it is perfect. :( so lost!

~tina~

Ewok_Fetus
05-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Is it cranking over faster than normal at all? Remove the timing belt front cover and crank the motor... Do the cam sprockets move?

teanza
05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Is it cranking over faster than normal at all? Remove the timing belt front cover and crank the motor... Do the cam sprockets move?

hey-it's weird, it is cranking faster like every other time u turn the key. should i have mentioned that?

~tina~[confused]

Ewok_Fetus
05-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Uh oh... Well, you might want to check the timing belt then... Sounds like you are getting little to no compression and the timing belt may have slipped/broke... When is the last time it was changed...

teanza
05-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Uh oh... Well, you might want to check the timing belt then... Sounds like you are getting little to no compression and the timing belt may have slipped/broke... When is the last time it was changed...

i appreciate your reply, however this problem was ongoing for about a week b4 it decided 2 finally not start @ all.

~tina~

Ewok_Fetus
05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
It is possible that it just slipped a tooth or two causing a long start and then ran good enough to run... Then the belt finally gives in causing it not to start at all... It is worth a shot to look at it... The fast cranking is a sign of a lack of resistance due to no compression which could be caused by the timing being off... And the no spark is because your aren't getting the proper signal from the cam position sensor because only the crank is turning and nothing else... Not saying 100% that is what it is, but that is what it sounds like...

onemoremile
05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Call Call 1-888-CAR-TALK (888-227-8255) tomorrow morning and let the tappet brothers fix it for you. [:p]

teanza
05-09-2008, 12:24 PM
It is possible that it just slipped a tooth or two causing a long start and then ran good enough to run... Then the belt finally gives in causing it not to start at all... It is worth a shot to look at it... The fast cranking is a sign of a lack of resistance due to no compression which could be caused by the timing being off... And the no spark is because your aren't getting the proper signal from the cam position sensor because only the crank is turning and nothing else... Not saying 100% that is what it is, but that is what it sounds like...

thanx bro! i will check & let ya know!

~tina~

Ewok_Fetus
05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Hope we find the problem soon!

teanza
05-09-2008, 12:32 PM
u and me both!!!!!!!

~tina~

offroader1006
05-09-2008, 01:22 PM
2fast

Ewok_Fetus
05-09-2008, 01:37 PM
2fast

2furious [confused]

teanza
05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
any know the output or whatever of the cam position sensor?

~tina~