PDA

View Full Version : 2.7t swap....what is needed

Eurotuned_A4
05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
ok, I have plans within the next 2 years to upgrade the car(if my pockets will allow after i graduate and start my carrer). I am tossing between a 2.0/bat of a 2.7tt with one of the gt series turbo kits that are now being produced for that engine. i love the 1.8t, but swapping to a 2.7t with some gt turbos would be a nice change.....and dont say buy an s4 because that wouldnt make snese for new parts such as brakes/suspension/and a bucnh of other stuff that my a4 already has.

so besides the engine/trans/ecu what would i need to swap over to my car. just to have it run with a 2.7t? i know i can find recked s4s with running engines for under 5k which isnt bad. but im really curious as what it would take to do a whole swap.

this is not a 2.7t vs BAT thread, so please dont make it into one. keep it on topic. I am leaning heavily towards a 2.7t swap and having fun with that engine, just not sure about everything i would need to swap over.

mike-2ptzero
05-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Well if you swap to the 2.7 trans you will also need the rear diff, drive shaft, front hubs and front axles. This most likely means you will have to swap your brake setup to something that works on the S4 hubs. If you go twin GT on the 2.7 you will have to build the bottom end and even look at going 2.8 heads. You will also have to upgrade the clutch that could handle power of the twins.

So basically you can see what people have spent just to swap a stock S4 into a A4 and then add on the cost of doing a S4 twin GT setup. My guess is that you will be spending a whole lot of money to just get to that point.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, but then reality kicks in.[>_<]

pac1085
05-05-2008, 03:03 PM
the easiest way to do it would be to keep the A4 transmission and run standalone (then you dont need to dick around with factory wiring harness, HUGE PITA)

Eurotuned_A4
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
looks like ill need to find a wrecked s4 with all those parts in good condition if i really want to go this route. worst case scenario I could sell the a4, but thats not something i want to do at all.

2.0/bat will be much easier...but still not sure if i want to go that way...lol. reality has kicked in mike, but i think it may be better to save and do what i really want. plus i can make some money from selling my 1.8t/trans. even if i dont sell it i could even save it for another car.

it does make me cringe to ehar that i would need to change the rear diff, drive shaft, front hubs and front axles though. twin GTs sounds so damn fun though, and i think it may be more driver friendly on the streets. also i think the gt kits for the 2.7 are passing emissions.

decisions...decisions...i guess i have a lot of time to think this out and price it out before i pull the trigger on anything.

AudiA4_20T
05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
do you have $20k for the GT S4? if so, do it

Eurotuned_A4
05-05-2008, 03:56 PM
the easiest way to do it would be to keep the A4 transmission and run standalone (then you dont need to dick around with factory wiring harness, HUGE PITA)

i dont dick around with any wiring. ill have someone do the swap so i know it will be reliable. i have matrix integrated and speedware motorsport within 1-2 hours from my house. alreayd talked to speedware and they said they wouldnt mind doing the swap when im ready. im sure i can DIY, but having more knowledgable people doing the swap for me would help the reliabilty factor. i dont want a swap with some wierd little kinks in it here and there. my bro had that problem with his vr6 swap in his mk2, and i want to avoid it.

mike-2ptzero
05-05-2008, 04:19 PM
looks like ill need to find a wrecked s4 with all those parts in good condition if i really want to go this route. worst case scenario I could sell the a4, but thats not something i want to do at all.

2.0/bat will be much easier...but still not sure if i want to go that way...lol. reality has kicked in mike, but i think it may be better to save and do what i really want. plus i can make some money from selling my 1.8t/trans. even if i dont sell it i could even save it for another car.

it does make me cringe to ehar that i would need to change the rear diff, drive shaft, front hubs and front axles though. twin GTs sounds so damn fun though, and i think it may be more driver friendly on the streets. also i think the gt kits for the 2.7 are passing emissions.

decisions...decisions...i guess i have a lot of time to think this out and price it out before i pull the trigger on anything.

How is the Twin GT's more street friendly? You do know they dont really kick in till after 5K? This is why they have to be pushed to 8500 rpm to stay in their power band.

I mean just think, what would a A4 running 1350cc displacement feel like pushing a GT28. You think your car has lag now.[>_<]

Beemer832
05-06-2008, 07:20 AM
power to you if you have the $$$ to get this project done. That GT series TT kit has a hefty price tag. It really would be cheaper to buy a pre modded car and add from there.

If you plan on keeping the A4, join the BAT population. I personally was happy with the APR kit I had and that was only 280hp.

Blake260
05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
much better off selling the A and buying an S. after you do all that work for the swap, you'll still have leatherette, A4 dash, A4 exterior. so for the price of an S4 with all the nice factory stuff, you will get an A4 with a bigger motor. That was the deciding factor for me, I am currently selling my car for an S4 IMHO

onemoremile
05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
If you want the 2.7tt then swap in just the engine. Keeping the 1.8 or 2.8 trans and A4 driveline makes everything so much more simple. Drop in whatever engine will fit (1.8t, 2.0 fsi, 2.7t, adapted vr6, built 3.2 30v, etc.) and run it on standalone and leave the rest of the car alone.

AB18
05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Wise words.^ The 2.7T is fuuuun.

GQ//S4
05-06-2008, 12:30 PM
If you want to keep your car and are tossing between either a 2.0 BAT or a 2.7tt swap, I would recommend the 2.0. I love the 2.7, its the reason I have a b5 s4, but its just not worth the $ to swap.

RudyH
05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Definately not worth the swap.

Buy a B5 S4, and swap out the S4 stock items for your upgraded parts before selling the A4. Your looking at over $5,000 of labour cost if your not doing it yourself, not including the build on the 2.7T engine.

I could understand if you wanted to perform the swap into a B6 or B7, but not a B5.

ALL THAT SAID...
I have a B5 S4 that is K04'd and looking forward to the A3 2.0T /w Quattro coming in the fall 2008. I really want the 2.0T but not happy with getting a B7 or B8 Cadilac boats I mean A4's.

onemoremile
05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
The newest A4 is lighter than most of it's predecessors with better weight distribution and a more rigid chassis too.

iin10ded
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
how do you figure? according to audiworld the curb weight for the 07 a4 2.0t quattro sline is 3660. that's b5 s4 territory. a 98 a4 1.8qt was 3241. no quarrel on weight distribution or rigidity. it certainly couldn't have gotten any worse.

i don't see why one would swap the 2.7 into an a4 when you can get clean low mileage b5s4's for 15k? i would think it's easier to put the s4 on a diet than beef up the mechanicals of an a4? hell those s4 seats alone must weigh 90 lbs each!

onemoremile
05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
The B8 has been reported to be lighter than the B7.

mike-2ptzero
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
The B8 has been reported to be lighter than the B7.

But how much lighter. Just look at how BMW said that the 135 was going to be much lighter then the 335 and turned out to be slightly lighter but not all that much to make a huge difference.

iin10ded
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
well that would be a pleasant departure from the porky trend. amazing if it's true given the increase in size. i haven't seen a b8a4 yet but the a5 is BIG.

Sigma 3
05-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Brian take your time. If money is an issue upfront you can use the 5 speed. im considering keeping mine in because of the closer gear ratios, wich would make for a better track car. The only reason im considering the 6 speed is because of free way cruising. btw what rpm does the s4 cruise at doing 80mph??

Back on topic I sourced my 2.7 for 500 bucks with only 60k on it. harness, manis all of it eccept ecu. you will want to get an s4 guage cluster. I picked upp a 99 avant 1.8t so when thats done im going to start on my sedan. ill sell the supercharger and keep the heads[;)]. botom line is it can be donfor cheaper than most people think. Talk to todd if you want to save some labor cost[:d] Keep me posted man and good luck.

Eurotuned_A4
05-06-2008, 04:12 PM
still thinking about what i would do. everyone is talking about buy an s4...my a4 is already paid off. it would be cheaper to do the swap. i like onemoremile's idea about using my trans. that would definately cut costs down. 2.0 still doesnt sound bad though.

Sigma 3
05-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Im with you on that dont take on a car payment if you can achieve your goal with out one.

Rosati
05-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Those turbo kits are over 10k and i dont see any used

My buddy CKYMike did the swap. Not easy locating all the parts needed.

I think mike and jim's post make the most sense, But have you ever drove a modded S4?

You honestly dont need to go GT twins......

A stage 2+ S4 is right there w/ 1.8/2.0 BAT, Trust me i drove his and was really impressed only on chip /exhaust/cat mod

The swap isnt fun, parts arent cheap or easy to come by..... But hey its worth it in the end.

All im saying is that STG 3 is becoming more and more affordable for S4 owners and the numbers are amazing and the ride is pretty scary.

You dont need the GT twins.

SilverB5A4
05-06-2008, 07:03 PM
GT twins... no power, no power, no power, HOLY SHIT!!! My interpretation of a gt s4

mike-2ptzero
05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
GT twins... no power, no power, no power, HOLY SHIT!!! My interpretation of a gt s4

Exactly same thing with a built 2 liter with BAT, without the extra weight.

Militant-Grunt
05-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Contact Greg at SSP he has done numerous 2.7t swaps utilizing the 2.7t harness, and making it work with either an A4 cluster or S4 cluster.

His user is 2001S4NY

iin10ded
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
But how much lighter. Just look at how BMW said that the 135 was going to be much lighter then the 335 and turned out to be slightly lighter but not all that much to make a huge difference.

it's true. just stumbled across this: "Compared with the outgoing 2008 A4, the redesigned 2009 A4’s body is approximately 10 percent lighter."

from here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/latest_news_reviews/2010_audi_s4_to_get_supercharged_v6_updated_with_m ileage_estimates_car_news

mike-2ptzero
05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
it's true. just stumbled across this: "Compared with the outgoing 2008 A4, the redesigned 2009 A4’s body is approximately 10 percent lighter."

from here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/latest_news_reviews/2010_audi_s4_to_get_supercharged_v6_updated_with_m ileage_estimates_car_news

So this means around 352 lbs lighter. That means it should have the same curb weight as a stock B5 A4 1.8t.

onemoremile
05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
And that is a serious improvement considering how much more rigid the chassis is. A K04 B8 should have no problem hanging with an APR Stage 3 B5. Even more so if the B8 has the new and improved DSG transmission. A 3071 or 3076 B8 would be a very nice car both on the street and on the track.

If I were putting any engine in a B5 it would be a tossup between the V8, 2.7t, or 3.2 30v V6. I drove an A5 with the 265(?) hp 3.2 a couple days ago and it was great. I'd build the bottom before installation so a turbo or two could be added later. A 3.2 with a pair of GT25 or GT28 turbos would stomp a chipped RS6 biturbo.

Eurotuned_A4
05-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Those turbo kits are over 10k and i dont see any used

My buddy CKYMike did the swap. Not easy locating all the parts needed.

I think mike and jim's post make the most sense, But have you ever drove a modded S4?

You honestly dont need to go GT twins......

A stage 2+ S4 is right there w/ 1.8/2.0 BAT, Trust me i drove his and was really impressed only on chip /exhaust/cat mod

The swap isnt fun, parts arent cheap or easy to come by..... But hey its worth it in the end.

All im saying is that STG 3 is becoming more and more affordable for S4 owners and the numbers are amazing and the ride is pretty scary.

You dont need the GT twins.

do you ever really need any big turbos? do it for the fun of it imo....lol. swap may not be fun, but i have some very good shops within close distance to me. matrix integrated, speedware motorsports are 2 of them. i would pay someone to do the work for quality sake if i do decide to go crazy. but....

i may not even go 2.0 anymore. was talking to the gf, and she said just build my engine a little more(rods,new mani and turbo, software, and some other misc stuff) and save my money for a car i really want. i may just go this route instead. wont be 1-2 years til i could afford to do a big build anyways. im thinking just save the money for a car i really want instead. the a4 doesnt need to be insanely fast anyways.

Sigma 3
05-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Contact Greg at SSP he has done numerous 2.7t swaps utilizing the 2.7t harness, and making it work with either an A4 cluster or S4 cluster.

His user is 2001S4NY

I have spoken with Greg but it is tuff to get him on a consistant level. IM still waiting for an email from him (6months later)[:d]

Brian what ever you decide to do let me know. Ill do what i can to help. My offer still stands to sell you my supercharger. Good luck

Militant-Grunt
05-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I have spoken with Greg but it is tuff to get him on a consistant level. IM still waiting for an email from him (6months later)[:d]

Brian what ever you decide to do let me know. Ill do what i can to help. My offer still stands to sell you my supercharger. Good luck

You need to be persistent, he has a Ton of cars constantly. Its a matter of first come first serve.

s4quattro187
05-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Pm me if you have any questions. I just did the swap. took me a total of 20 hours MAYBE of
labor. really not hard if you have all the parts especially a donar car like I did.

Eurotuned_A4
05-11-2008, 10:52 AM
oh nice. you are in seattle too. Im still undecided what i want to do, and it will be a while until i can anyways. just trying to figure it all out.