PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about broken axle

j_ripper19
04-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for reading this,

Long story short I fucked up when changing CV boot and the joint apparently didn't connect that well with the axle. Drove 200 ft and loud BANG and then tak tak tak sounds. Lifted the car and saw the axle got out of the outer joint (joint still attached to hub). Also the inner joint seemed to be bended at 45-70 degrees so I assume the inner joint is shot.

My question is:

I turned on the car, put it in gear (AWD manual) and the axle spins by itself with no torque sent to the other wheels (as expected since quatrro works that way), but when uphill in a slight downslope, car turned off in 1st gear, it doesn't hold and starts moving back. I thought that even with the broken axle the car would still hold its position. Am I wrong or I fucked up something else than the axle?

Also speedometer increases as I hit the gas when the car is turned on so I assume the inner joint is just spinning on itself, right?

Sorry for the long post and any help is more than appreciated!!
j_ripper19

ShawFM
04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Should just be the axle that you messed up. Replace the CV joint and you should be good. You can get complete reman axles on rockauto.com fairly cheap.

djwimbo
04-30-2008, 10:07 PM
If the axle is turning inside of the outer boot, the outer joint is toast. Remove the axle from the car and replace the outer joint.
If you're as unlucky as I am, it pulled the axle shaft out of the joint and broke the ball race in the inner joint. I broke both at the same time though... see pic. Just make sure that the ball race in the inner boot is still intact. FYI be careful not to let the balls out, this is a mess and a PITA to fix. If that happens, locate your balls, clean them, and get a crash course on how to install them correctly. (somebody should use that quote in their sig)

The reason you're not able to hold the car still with it in gear and the parking brake applied is that the drivetrain is completely useless with one axle out of the equation. This is the same reason why you cannot drive it at this point.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2964000-2964999/2964519_62_full.jpg

onemoremile
05-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, the parking brake should still work.

raxles.com can set you up with a reman axle that is better than new. Well worth it to know it is a solid part and it is a lot easier to change the whole axle than to rebuild a CV.

djwimbo
05-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I just realized that in my reply I screwed up the "in gear w/ parking brake applied" should've been "in gear w/o the parking brake applied"