PDA

View Full Version : Engine hesitation on startup.....bad spark plugs?

SFexBOY
04-29-2008, 10:53 AM
So the past couple days, I've had a slight hesitation when starting.....primarily after the car has been sitting overnight. Instead of it sparking upon turning the key, I have to hold it a couple seconds longer for it to catch....which it does.

I have NGK Platinum spark plugs in there now that I've been meaning to replace, but haven't gotten around to doing so. They have roughly around 40K miles on them =O.

Anyways my guess is a bad spark?

One other thing I'd like to mention, I bottomed out pretty bad on a speedbump over the wkend....is it possible I may have pinched a fuel line underneath the car? It sort of feels like the engine hesitates b/c its starved of fuel. Ideas?

Black_97 A4
04-29-2008, 11:13 AM
My car has been doing this lately too..

whoace
04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Sounds like your battery is not holding a charge. Do a battery test...Or simply have someone boost your car to see if it starts right away (easier).

If not, check for spark and do a fuel pressure test.

edit: you may have also jarred the ground connection loose. Check the ground path and make sure they are tight to the frame/battery.

Black_97 A4
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
if the car cranks..like i think he is talking about..and it does for me..it wouldnt be the battery..

99blueb5
04-29-2008, 05:34 PM
yah its not going to be the battery...duh, of it starts up the battery is good, i would pull your plugs and look at them and see if anyone of them are abnormal looking, then do a fuel pressure test

Zach_J
04-29-2008, 06:05 PM
If you have access to a scan tool, check faults. More likely than not, you have a fault for an engine temperature sensor failure. They can cause extended crank times, or erratic idle behavior when they fail. When they do so, they send a signal to the ECM saying that it is -40* so the ECM acts accordingly. They are about 30 bucks and quite easy to install on your own.
-Zach

VTECCURED
04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
If you have access to a scan tool, check faults. More likely than not, you have a fault for an engine temperature sensor failure. They can cause extended crank times, or erratic idle behavior when they fail. When they do so, they send a signal to the ECM saying that it is -40* so the ECM acts accordingly. They are about 30 bucks and quite easy to install on your own.
-Zach

what block on the vag is the engine temp located? its not the same as coolant temp?

what about intake air temp? where is a good temp for a normal oper temp...

john

whoace
04-29-2008, 07:41 PM
yah its not going to be the battery...duh, of it starts up the battery is good

And you learned this at? A failing battery will still start a car.

So the past couple days, I've had a slight hesitation when starting.....primarily after the car has been sitting overnight. Instead of it sparking upon turning the key, I have to hold it a couple seconds longer for it to catch....which it does.

Reason I thought it could be the battery.