PDA

View Full Version : ahahhhhhhh i f'd up BAAAAD!!!

deux321
04-28-2008, 02:30 PM
i was changing my coolant flange and for some reason the new flange wasn't sitting right and i was still leaking fluid.

took it out 3 times and checked the best i could and put it back in.

so, on the 3rd atempt as i was bolting it in THE BOLT BREAKS. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now i have a broken bolt and who knows how much to get it drill and taped because i can't even see back there so i dunno what the F happened.

SOOOOO screwed.!!!! stealership wants to charge upward of 800-1000 to do that job.

another shop i called said the flange R&R alone is 300 and who knows how much for that f'in bolt that broke!!!

i am sooo irritated right now?[headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang]

Beemer832
04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
honestly. just sleep on it for a day, relax have a few beers and approach the situation again. I am sure it will be a pain and next time you wont rush it and break a bolt :)

I just did this on my turbo so I know how much of a PITA it is.

-josh

Rico750
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
find a local good mechanic and he will put a new stud in there.. lots of people had issues getting that flange on correct.. make sure you use the stealerships o-ring for 1 dollar.. and with some luck you'll find you a local mechanic that can drill it out and put you a new one in.. you'll be fine..

aytheory
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
the bolts are cheap - just take out the turbo if you have time - and then get a bolt extractor on it from a hardware store - and get it out

AudiA4_20T
04-28-2008, 03:22 PM
did u snap the bolt inside the block? or did it just break? because the latter problem isnt so bad

baboom
04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
the coolant flange on the back of the cylinder head man that thing is a PITA to do my hands were bleeding by the time i was done and the same thing happened to me.. it really isnt all that hard to do just take out off the valve cover gasket and re tap the hole its really not that bad..i think that with the valve cover gasket and everything it cost me around 30 dollars but look at it this way i had to do the valve cover gasket some time anyway..

and the thing with those oem flanges is that they are plastic and they will be brand new and they will be warped just enough to leek!!! is there any place that sells alluminum flanges?? and put some sillicone around the seals when you put it back in just to make sure that it is sealed up nice and tight!!

creechsa4
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
buy a right angle drill attachment. the m6 bolt is an 8.8 grade. shouldn't be tooo tough to drill into. you'll need short bits to get in there. extract away.

audiness
04-28-2008, 05:20 PM
honestly. just sleep on it for a day, relax have a few beers and approach the situation again. I am sure it will be a pain and next time you wont rush it and break a bolt :)

I just did this on my turbo so I know how much of a PITA it is.

-josh

good advice. Sleep on it for a day

deux321
04-29-2008, 01:07 AM
thanks for the cheer ups guys, but i have already taken it to a local shop and he said probably about 200 to get to it IF he doesn't have to take apart the head to get to it.

did u snap the bolt inside the block? or did it just break? because the latter problem isnt so bad

the other half is still in the head!!

deux321
05-01-2008, 01:07 AM
soooo got my car back yesterday 5pm

took it to beach house imports out in costa mesa. (GREAT peoples over there BTW)

560 dollars later find out that the flange i had was warped. greeeeat[headbang][:(]

bought it from pure ms and i have never had a problem with anything that i had ordered from them but, this time they send me some chinese made crap.

but im happy that i did not take an arm and a leg to get it done!!!!

audiness
05-01-2008, 03:56 AM
so did they have to drill it out?

ModifiedA4
05-01-2008, 06:09 AM
too bad i didnt see this earlier. if you snapped the bolt purely due to overtorque, then you probably couldve backed out the bolt by unthreading it slowly with a pick.

if it snapped because it bottomed out and bound up, then you were pretty much screwed :)

baboom
05-02-2008, 08:07 AM
just as i said before these plastic flanges are sh!t!! when i got mine i sat it on a table and it had about a 2 mm concave to it.. are any places that sell aluminum flanges????

jlien08
05-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Just about everyone I have talked to about those flanges has had problems, UNLESS they just buy it from the Dealer. The genuine audi piece will not be warped. I got mine from the dealer and it worked fine.