PDA

View Full Version : question about the clutch

mkturbo3
04-25-2008, 05:04 PM
im tryign to figure out if my clutch is almost done. it grabs pretty high but when trying to start in 3rd gear it still moves could my clutch be on its way out or should i not worry about it ? thanks in advance

legionvr6
04-25-2008, 05:31 PM
ost b5's catch high. if its not sliping and still pulls off the line in 3rd your probably fine

djwimbo
04-25-2008, 10:16 PM
The way our master cylinders are designed they'll always catch high. My band new SPEC catches high.

If you lug it in 4th/5th and it doesn't slip you're fine, or if you boost it w/o pulling the tires and don't notive any wierd revs. Your clutch is fine.

mkturbo3
04-25-2008, 10:56 PM
oh ok ill try it in 4/5 gear this time 3rd gear was no slipage at all thanks guys!

mike-2ptzero
04-26-2008, 08:06 AM
The way our master cylinders are designed they'll always catch high. My band new SPEC catches high.

If you lug it in 4th/5th and it doesn't slip you're fine, or if you boost it w/o pulling the tires and don't notive any wierd revs. Your clutch is fine.

Doesn't have anything to do with the master cylinder, plenty of other clutch kits catch mid way or at the bottom. It just depends on how they are designed and how much pedal pressure is needed to release the disk from the flywheel/pressure plate surface. My custom WOA catches low-mid and so do the SB kits I have driven.

bass_lover1
04-26-2008, 02:04 PM
IMO easiest way to test if a clutch is on it's way out. Get into 5th gear on an open road at normal cruising speeds, then floor it allowing you to reach peak levels of boost (if you're a 1.8T). This will put the most load on the engine and drive train, if the clutch holds fine then you have no issues, if it slips it's probably on it's way out.