PDA

View Full Version : Usuage of higher octane fuel



Marita
09-10-2004, 08:28 PM
just recenly found out that there is a station down the street from me with 102 octane...and was thinking of putting it in my car...my friend with a Carrera 4 put it in his car the other day and it ran so well...but ive heard that it could cause too much heat to the engine or something like that...


what are your opinions with the higher octane usuage???


TIA

derek2079
09-10-2004, 09:47 PM
you'll be fine its good for your engine 102 octane will be fine if it was somthing alot higher you may run into a lil trouble with a road trip but you will be fine.



how much is it a gallon?

sighpost
09-10-2004, 10:36 PM
higher octane fuel wont make you run hotter it will actually make you run cooler since you wont actually burn all of it (i.e. you will run a little richer ) but you will run better because higher octane fuel burns more evenly so you will get a smother ride and maybe a bit more tourqe.

Suparslinc
09-10-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm guessing it's $4 a gallon. That's a waste of money, you might as well throw it out the window.

Chard
09-10-2004, 11:34 PM
get 100 octane programming and then you won't regret using that gas.

Marita
09-11-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by derek2079
you'll be fine its good for your engine 102 octane will be fine if it was somthing alot higher you may run into a lil trouble with a road trip but you will be fine.



how much is it a gallon?


its actually 5 a gallon here

A4 in SC
09-11-2004, 08:44 AM
I don't think you'll want to run it on a daily basis. Not because it'll hurt anything, other than your pocket book...
$70-80 per fill up. ARGH!

Marita
09-11-2004, 09:09 AM
how about once a month is it good for the car???

sighpost
09-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Not really good for the car. The best fuel for the car is what ever octane you are tunned for. If you get a 100 octane program put in your ECU then you will really enjoy having it in the tank.

A4 in SC
09-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Agreed. I have the 100 octane program from APR (along w/ 91 and 'stock'). It certainly makes a difference. I've heard it only gives you 10-20 hp, but it certainly felt like more to me. Then again, I had a load and two passengers coming back from Petit LeMans.

All I can say is 4 wheel drifts in a vacant parking lot is FUN! It was pretty humorous to look back and see the third passenger 'holding on for dear life'! [:D]

Marita
09-11-2004, 04:45 PM
ok so i would see bigger results after i chip it than stock....hmmmmmmm

A4 in SC
09-11-2004, 06:30 PM
DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!

cj-S4
09-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Marita
ok so i would see bigger results after i chip it than stock....hmmmmmmm

No,, only if you get 100 octane programing. And run it with the fuel. Caution do not run 100 ocatane programing with anything other than 100+ octane fuel.

Crisqo
09-11-2004, 11:08 PM
try some Toluene...
octance booster =)

A4 in SC
09-12-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by cj-S4
No,, only if you get 100 octane programing. And run it with the fuel. Caution do not run 100 ocatane programing with anything other than 100+ octane fuel.

Ahh, I think Marita knows NOT to run 100 octane programming w/o running 100 octane. BUT, I'm glad you posted it! Sorry about that.

Some people have had good luck w/ Tolulene, but from everything I've read on it, it looks like most people use it when only 91 octane fuel is available.

I know I wish APR would come out w/ a 93 octane program for my car! of course, since it's becoming a classic quickly, we're on the back burner for sure now. (non-DBW)

Marita
09-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by A4 in SC
Ahh, I think Marita knows NOT to run 100 octane programming w/o running 100 octane. BUT, I'm glad you posted it! Sorry about that.



i did know but now its implimented in my head now, thanks [:)]




Some people have had good luck w/ Tolulene, but from everything I've read on it, it looks like most people use it when only 91 octane fuel is available.


well since cali only has 91 octane, freaking bastards [mad], u suggest i just try the Tolulene

HotSauce
09-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Octane is a very misunderstood concept to most. The octane rating refers to the number of molecule strings in a sample. The higher it is, the more stable it is, and the less succeptable it is to knocking. Knocking occurs when the fuel spontaneously combusts due to compression. This is why our cars require higher octane; we have higher compression.

The lower octane fuel is actually more potent, resulting in more horsepower, but is less consistant, and therefore will not run as smoothly as a higher octane. Take AV gas for instance. It is of a very high octane, to allow a very smooth, and even burn. It will also withstand much higher compression before it spontaneously combusts.

So the short answer is, no, don't run it. It will not help your car in ANY way.

If you want extra power, try some VP Racing Fuel. It is a oxygenated fuel. The oxygenation results in actual power gains all through the powerband, even though I believe it's only rated at like 93 octane.

Hope this clears things up.

sighpost
09-12-2004, 09:00 PM
I dont think it is true to say that it wont help in any way. Higher octane gas burns more evenly so the explosion is actually spread out evenly along the piston head giving the car a bit more power but she really needs the 100 octane programming to take full advantage of it.

HotSauce
09-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by sighpost
I dont think it is true to say that it wont help in any way. Higher octane gas burns more evenly so the explosion is actually spread out evenly along the piston head giving the car a bit more power but she really needs the 100 octane programming to take full advantage of it.

I still disagree. A car will run at its best, at the octane it is designed for. Both stock and most aftermarket chips (Unless designed specifically for high octane) will run best in the 92-94 octane range.

awahl63
09-13-2004, 06:35 PM
You're car will run slightly better but not worth the money at all but once you have the chip with 100 oct mode and run the 102 gas...OOOOOOOH

SilverA4Fun
09-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Generally every chip (ie 91) is designed to adapt to higher
octane levels, so you should be getting optimized performance from higher octane gas (ie 100). But it can take half a tank for the chip to adjust so you'd only reap half the benefits at twice the cost. $5/gal to sit idling in in traffic with the a/c is pretty pricey. And you'd have to be driving alot fo spirited miles to enjoy the full effects even over the course of a weekend.

skene
09-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Actually for all intensive purposes... yes you can benefit from running 98+ octane on any vehicle. However you do not want to run this type of octane for regular street driving as higher octane fuels will tend to be more difficult to ignite during compression. Thus resulting in poor performance for grandmother types of driving. Spirited driving will yield and show gains from using this type of fuel.
It however is not as recommended to run this type of fuel for daily usage as it will not have as many detergents placed into the fuel during processing and will not be as detrimental to engine cleaning as per say 91-94 octane.

Hope this helps.

PossumCowboy
09-15-2004, 08:00 AM
I actually learned some good stuff from this thread. Thanks.

Pureaudi
09-15-2004, 08:52 AM
it dosent do THAT much to fill up with 100 oct. gas. not for the ammound of money your pouring into your tank. i dont see a point in this. can someone tell me how 5 dollars a gallon is good? when you can get by with 91? idunno im just kinda curious.

skene
09-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Simple.... empty out your whole tank of 91-93 octane.... and put in 100~ octane... you will notice a difference in vehicle performance.

Pureaudi
09-15-2004, 07:09 PM
like hp? or just smoothness?

skene
09-15-2004, 07:19 PM
like.... why dont you try it out yourself.

You cannot speak from experience unless you have tried it out to begin with.

I have plenty of friends that hate the idea of driving around now with 93 octane.... 94 octane..... because they enjoy the way 100 octane feels when they drive.

So take it for what its worth.

cj-S4
09-16-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by skene
like.... why dont you try it out yourself.

You cannot speak from experience unless you have tried it out to begin with.


Nice, so true.

cj-S4
09-16-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by HotSauce

So the short answer is, no, don't run it. It will not help your car in ANY way.

If you want extra power, try some VP Racing Fuel. It is a oxygenated fuel. The oxygenation results in actual power gains all through the powerband, even though I believe it's only rated at like 93 octane.

Hope this clears things up.

It will run with more power if you run the 100+ octane specific program. You still disagree in your other post,, but you oubviously don't know your after market programing. They bump up the boost and timing for extra HP and need 100 octane to not detonate.

I agree with you that on stock or even 91 or 93 octane programing it is a waste to run race gas.

cj-S4
09-16-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by SilverA4Fun
Generally every chip (ie 91) is designed to adapt to higher
octane levels, so you should be getting optimized performance from higher octane gas (ie 100). But it can take half a tank for the chip to adjust so you'd only reap half the benefits at twice the cost. $5/gal to sit idling in in traffic with the a/c is pretty pricey. And you'd have to be driving alot fo spirited miles to enjoy the full effects even over the course of a weekend.

To an extent yes,, but it will never get to where the 100 octane programing is. Say I am running my APR 93 program and I fill it up with 100+ octane,, you are saying that my car will eventually learn the octane limits and start to run as if I had switched to my 100 program? No it won't happen, it may let some more timing in and start to run alittle smoother, it may even gain a HP or two. But it will not run like 100 octane programing. Hell stock programing is for 91 octane,, how come it doesn't fun like the 91 octane chip programs, it should learn right?