PDA

View Full Version : Wtb: Hfc

blkaudi98
04-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Im looking to buy a HFC, and i was looking around. Anyone with a Labree HFC, was it worth the price, and how much of a difference did it make?

Any other makes, i would appreciate your input.

thanks

dewey527
04-23-2008, 05:50 PM
dont know anything about Labree but i have the tantrumwerks 300 cell hfc and love it! plus i can pass emissions. it has excellent quality too.

DND
04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
You can have a shop make you one with whatever core you want and whatever size pipe you want.

jrock
04-23-2008, 11:30 PM
get the labree. Its tha s@#$! I even passed emissions with it.

dingguhlbary
04-24-2008, 01:17 AM
just wait for onemoremile to give his awesome expertise on this matter.
but if you asked me, a labree hfc is definitely worth it. plus youre doing the environment a favor

Seerlah
04-24-2008, 04:49 AM
One thing I can say about Labrees is the great price. Compare the Labree for $250 to say maybe a milltek for $999.

Solaris
04-24-2008, 06:19 AM
I had the LaBree 400 cell (sold by Tantrumwerks) on for about 20k miles before the welds at the flange melted away.
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/42525/cat2.jpg
That was even before I was running PC16 software. I shipped it back out to Tantrumwerks and got it repaired under warranty. I ran a test pipe while I was waiting for that and hadn't put the cat back on until just this past Sunday. I expect the welds to melt again at some point, but I don't blame the quality of the part. I blame the shitty layout Audi chose by putting the cat immediately after the turbo.

As far as what I noticed, it made the engine a little louder and the turbo seemed to spool up a little quicker. I also did get a CEL if I kept the RPM under 3k a lot, but I now have an anti-fouler on. I haven't driven the car much with it on again. Maybe the 300 cell cat will allow enough heat to pass through before it damages the flange welds.

onemoremile
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
My Labree has been on for years without a problem. I run it with a K04 and have run it hard on the track for many 20 minute sessions. Well worth the money and much better than a test pipe.

Nebone
04-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I have a Labree (Fast Intentions) 300 cpsi model. I might be putting it for sale over the summer to make space for a non-K03 inlet type :)

tdn
04-24-2008, 11:53 AM
My Labree has been on for years without a problem. I run it with a K04 and have run it hard on the track for many 20 minute sessions. Well worth the money and much better than a test pipe.

besides maybe emissions, how is it much better than a tp?

Nebone
04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
No raspyness out of exhaust and if a cop decides to peek under the hood to see if you have a cat, you will. Saves ya few grand in fines.

speedydragon
04-24-2008, 12:31 PM

It doesn't smell as worse as a tp does. It probably still smells a little bit, but not as bad.

317ssayzarc
04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
or you can just cut it open, gut it, and reweld it [:D]

onemoremile
04-24-2008, 01:58 PM

No sulfur smell.
No excess emissions.
No potential legal problems.
No realized difference in performance.
Sounds better.
Easier to install.
No bandaid fixes for the CEL.

ZAvant
04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
No sulfur smell.
No excess emissions.
No potential legal problems.
No realized difference in performance.
Sounds better.
Easier to install.
No bandaid fixes for the CEL.

How is it easier to install?

onemoremile
04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
or you can just cut it open, gut it, and reweld it [:D]

It doesn't have to be cut open. I've got one (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89276&highlight=gutted+cat).

MultiAudis
04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
I have a ghl and I will be installing it this sunday with Clint, so maybe I will have some added value after then. I bought it off another member but it was new in the box, so we shall see.

317ssayzarc
04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
It doesn't have to be cut open. I've got one (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89276&highlight=gutted+cat).

when you have a metal cat that cant be punched out ( i tried with an air hammer lol), you do have to cut it out... there is no other way to get the element outta an APR stage 3 downpipe [:|]

DND
04-24-2008, 04:46 PM
A good HFC is the best of both worlds, you have almost identical performance to a test pipe but it still does some good and you don't have to worry about getting the CEL for no reason.

In my opinion gutting your stock cat is not a good idea. Besides the legal and environmental drawbacks you still have a tiny pipe that isn't getting any bigger and is still causing restriction. All you really accomplish is smashing $50 worth of rare metals and dumping them in the garbage when you could have sold them to recycling to offset the cost of a good HFC.