PDA

View Full Version : Car just died..

This Is Epic
04-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Pulled into my parking spot at work, the car just shut off. When I go to start the car the engine is turning over. I'm getting good power and everything. Any ideas? I own a 2001 A4 with just over 100k.

I work 2 hours from home, so I'm hoping I get lucky and it starts later or something [headbang]

VTAudiA4
04-22-2008, 06:51 AM
We need a bit more info then what you posted above. But just do a basic algorithm to find out what the problem is. If you have power at the starter then make sure you have spark. Check your spark plugs. If you have spark then see if you have a fuel related issue. Do you have gas in the tank? If you have fuel, then check if you have an air issue. Check if there are any vacuum leaks. Check your fuses and relays. Its not that hard.

Not enough info = broad answer
More detail = specific answer

This Is Epic
04-22-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm guessing I have power at the starter, the engine is turning over. I do have gas I filled up this morning. Its strange because it drove fine 90 miles into work this morning and then just died when I pressed in the clutch to pull into my parking spot. I bought the car in November and it's always had a fluctuate in RPM's at idle, could it be a MAF issue? I dont know much about Audi's but I remember reading that could be a problem with the car dying.

ct1.8t4me
04-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Might be a vacuum leak - check for loose or torn hoses all throughout the turbo outlet tract - turbo to intercooler crossover pipe, crossover to intercooler, intercooler to throttle body. You could also try unplugging the MAF and see if that helps.

This Is Epic
04-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks I'm going to run outside and check as much as possible, sucks I am at work. The car could have made it easier and died at home not 2 hours away in a parking lot

Don Supreme
04-22-2008, 08:30 AM
When it cranks does it sounds the same or does it sound like its weezing, like the engine is turning, but something is really wrong?

This Is Epic
04-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Its turning over but it doesn't feel like its grabbing on to anything. Like its just spinning freely almost. I have a feeling I know where this is heading. I've seen people talk about seeing into where the timing belt is, how do I go about doing this? If my tensioner just went will I be able to tell by doing this? UGH

I'm going to check my spark plugs and my relays, and see what they look like. Unplugged the MAF and that did no justice.

This Is Epic
04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Well I have checked just about everything, time to get it towed I suppose.

Don Supreme
04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
If its turns over real quick and doesn't have that normal 'deep' sound, then you probably bent a valve and have no compression.

ILoveT
04-22-2008, 09:41 AM
I turned into work one time and my car just shut off just as you described. My MAF came unplugged when I hit a bump. Problem solved.

0000_a4
04-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Well same thing happened to me last week. It was my Throttle Boby and vag showed that my MAF Sensor is dead.

This Is Epic
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
hmm is there anywhere I can get a MAF Sensor in a day?

zrowcool
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
auto parts? dealer always has them but they ran out of vaseline.

This Is Epic
04-22-2008, 10:45 AM
If the MAF was dead shouldn't you be able to unplug it and the car will at least start? I unplugged it earlier just the power running to it though and it still didn't start.

zrowcool
04-22-2008, 10:52 AM
the car will still run without a maf. your'e 01 so it will just use the map sensor. i too think its the Tb or bent valve

ct1.8t4me
04-22-2008, 10:59 AM
On the front of the engine, toward the passenger side, is the inspection cover for the timing belt. There are two little metal clips - one on each side - you have to pop those out and move a water hose and a vacuum hose out of the way (they stretch so you can just pull them away). You should then be able to lift the inspection cover off and see if the belt is OK.

I had my tensioner break just as I pulled in to my driveway. I shut the car off immediately and let it sit for a few days until I could get all the stuff for the TB change. I changed the TB and all associated bits and fired it right up. Haven't had a problem in 60,000 miles...

Of course now it is time to do it again. So - you MIGHT get lucky. Just don't go trying to turn the engine over too much. I was extremely lucky that nothing was damaged.

This Is Epic
04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
So I just got a call from Funktion and it's definitely a timing issue. Now we just need to determine if a valve got bent, if that's the case with a bent valve and a timing job what kind of damage to my pocket am I looking at? I am hoping it is just a belt or tensioner issue.

CaSp3r9
04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Exhaust valves are $75.50 each and intake valves are $31.28 each per germanpartsonline.com plus labor... not cheap.
The cost of doing your timing belt varies from shop to shop but it'll pry be around $1,000-$1,200 or so.

Militant-Grunt
04-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Its still not necessarily a timing issue. ECU's do go bad occasionally, had that happen to me when I first bought the car. If you can grab some pliers try disconnecting the positive terminal for like 5-10 minutes, then try starting the car. Could also be the crank position sensor..

This Is Epic
04-23-2008, 06:25 AM
The guys at the shop opened the inspection cover and specifically said it's the timing, these are pretty reputable guys and were referred to me by tons of guys with Audis in the NOVA area.

pipe7284
04-23-2008, 06:36 AM
well, a shop is a shop and the make up shit to get your money. Unless you go out there and they show you that the timing belt is loose, i would have them touch the timing belt yet. go out there and check yourself. If the timing belt is too loose go for it, if not try the ECU.

This Is Epic
04-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Yeah I am going over there today around lunch time. I don't think these guys are going to dick me over come to find out the owner of the shop and the president of my company have known each other for years and we do business with them.

Militant-Grunt
04-23-2008, 09:09 AM
The guys at the shop opened the inspection cover and specifically said it's the timing, these are pretty reputable guys and were referred to me by tons of guys with Audis in the NOVA area.

Ah in that case, I thought you were looking it at it from your Job parking lot. Hopefully you didn't bend valves, otherwise you're in for a fun job.

Tiluleshpingen
04-23-2008, 09:17 AM
I turned into work one time and my car just shut off just as you described. My MAF came unplugged when I hit a bump. Problem solved.

x2 my turbo inlet pipe came off
OP you didnt hear any belt snap?

This Is Epic
04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Nope the belt didn't break, my guess is the tensioner failed. I'm getting ready to head out over to the shop and take a look. They quoted me close to $3,000 for the timing job + bent valve (if thats the case also) + labor. It looks like i'll be renting a uhaul trailer and towing it to my folks house since they have a garage and all the tools I need and i'll start tearing it apart this weekend. I wish I could just flatbed it but my house is about 75 miles away and my parents is about 100 so it'll be a lot cheaper to just rent a trailer from uhaul for a day.

Don Supreme
04-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Nope the belt didn't break, my guess is the tensioner failed. I'm getting ready to head out over to the shop and take a look. They quoted me close to $3,000 for the timing job + bent valve (if thats the case also) + labor. It looks like i'll be renting a uhaul trailer and towing it to my folks house since they have a garage and all the tools I need and i'll start tearing it apart this weekend. I wish I could just flatbed it but my house is about 75 miles away and my parents is about 100 so it'll be a lot cheaper to just rent a trailer from uhaul for a day.

^ More than likely you won't be able to visually see that the belt has been damaged....

P.S. Don't forget my offer.

This Is Epic
04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
^ More than likely you won't be able to visually see that the belt has been damaged....

Yeah I haven't, after thinking about it I would just rather do the work myself, save some money in the process and learn some stuff about my car. I've only owned the bastard for 5 months. [evilmad]

Don Supreme
04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
You will learn a lot..... Good luck and do it right.

ct1.8t4me
04-23-2008, 10:34 AM

You should be able to see that it is floppy if the tensioner broke though.

This Is Epic
04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Yeah you can tell the belt is loose and it is still all intact as far as you can tell through the cover. Should have a fun busy weekend. [wrench]

Don Supreme
04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
^ What exactly are you planning on doing to fix this problem?

Flossin
04-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Sounds like timing belt or ecu I have had to do both[mad] recently

This Is Epic
04-24-2008, 07:06 AM
^ What exactly are you planning on doing to fix this problem?

I'm getting it towed to my folks house since they have a nice garage and then im tearing it apart. I have a timing belt kit on order, and hopefully when I remove the head I wont see to much wreckage. This will be my first time actually digging into the motor of an Audi, so it should be fun. [:D]

Don Supreme
04-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Specifically, I want to know what you plan on doing when you get the head off.

This Is Epic
04-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Specifically, I want to know what you plan on doing when you get the head off.

Asking you a bunch of questions. [:p]

turbo kraut
04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
i just had my ecu die on me....... worked fine.... turned the car off went inside for 30 mintes went out and the thing was fried i guess.... luckily i had a second one

looked to be maybe a coil wire sparked the block

i know this is not your issue, just thought i would help for others that might come across this thread

good luck with the car

This Is Epic
04-24-2008, 01:44 PM
i just had my ecu die on me....... worked fine.... turned the car off went inside for 30 mintes went out and the thing was fried i guess.... luckily i had a second one

looked to be maybe a coil wire sparked the block

i know this is not your issue, just thought i would help for others that might come across this thread

good luck with the car

For sure, thanks.

This Is Epic
04-29-2008, 11:00 AM
So this weekend I replaced my belt and all the other stuff that goes a long with it, my tensioner didn't fail appears the belt was just worn really bad and ripped some teeth out of it down at the crank. Now I am just waiting for the head removal tool to arrive, then it's off to the machine shop. Replacing the belt and everything was extremely easy I don't know why some make such a big deal about it. This was easier then my last TB job.

Anyhow I hope to get the head off by tomorrow morning and at the machine shop as soon as possible.

ct1.8t4me
04-29-2008, 11:34 AM
So this weekend I replaced my belt and all the other stuff that goes a long with it, my tensioner didn't fail appears the belt was just worn really bad and ripped some teeth out of it down at the crank. Now I am just waiting for the head removal tool to arrive, then it's off to the machine shop. Replacing the belt and everything was extremely easy I don't know why some make such a big deal about it. This was easier then my last TB job.

Anyhow I hope to get the head off by tomorrow morning and at the machine shop as soon as possible.

Good work!

[wrench][wrench][wrench][drive]