PDA

View Full Version : Is this really a Turbo kit for a B5 Audi A4???

Ian90
04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Here is a link to a cheap "turbo kit" for a B5 Audi A4... can somebody that is more educated than me let me know if this is crap or not. I know all the big name kits and this seems to be a kit that would be used on a civic or some japanese tuner. Let me know where to find a real turbo kit for a reasonable price.
Ian

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-2004-Audi-A4-1-8T-Turbo-Kit-98-99-00-01-02-03_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247Q QcategoryZ33742QQihZ022QQitemZ350043125359QQrdZ1QQ sspagenameZWD1V

sean1.8t
04-15-2008, 06:50 PM
i must say, if all those products were quality pieces, that would be a hell of a kit. but it would also be 5 times the price.. sorry, but it's crap

there are lots of places to get "kits" and such. from ATP, APR, ASP, 034, renn-art, eurocode, vendors such as mike hood(mike-2ptzero) and such.

just all depends on what you want out of the car. and how much you have to spend

Ian90
04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply

DGAFxxx
04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
you get what you pay for. shitty turbo, shitty manifold.

VTAudiA4
04-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Let me eduh-mah-kate you

100 horsepower on a low boost setting of 8 PSI. Yeah RIGHT! How many HP's do you want? Cheapest and most reliable kit is the Ko4 kit which you can make around 265hp or 206whp with supporting mods (this is with the J-31 file). If you go BT you can make 250whp or a bit more. BT is still affordable. If you go BAT then the sky is the limit. Be prepared to upgrade internals on all BAT cars and most BT cars. Look in the classifieds and piece together a kit. Thats what I did and I saved a bunch. Some parts you need brand new so make sure you know what to get new/used.

audiness
04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
holy SHIT that is cheap!! I paid more for my turbo alone!

AudiA4_20T
04-15-2008, 07:15 PM
thats actually not bad for all that it comes with... Seriously if I get rich Im going to buy this thing one day and run it

VTAudiA4
04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
^ Hahaha
Well if your future plan includes 450whp then that kit is for you my friend.

bernB5
04-15-2008, 07:24 PM
that is the biggest piece of shit i've ever seen haha.

the intercooler has as many pieces as an erector set.
turbo, wastegate, core, bov are all no name. I don't see many things in that kit lasting more than 10,000 miles.
save your money

CaSp3r9
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM
^^^ 10,000 miles?

Try the end of your street. This "kit" has bad news written all over it...

Ian90
04-15-2008, 08:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250235658656

Just another kit i found super cheap... any better than the first posted?

sean1.8t
04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
stay away from EBAY!!!

but if you do have the money. get one of the kits. fun it, and tell us how it goes. i have always wanted to see someone install one of these. and in my years on the forums, i have yet to see anyone do it. should tell you something right there

Ian90
04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
i wouldn't put this ebay shit in my car! ... i just wanted to know the quality of stuff thats out there on ebay. i am about 80% sold on the APR Stage 3 kit to go with the milltek exhaust i just had installed in my A4. I just wanted to see what people thought about some of the other brands and some of the shit on ebay. I still feel the APR is a bit high in price and people have told me before to shop around and piece together a kit myself (would it be much cheaper?)

sean1.8t
04-15-2008, 08:38 PM
you can easily find a cheaper kit than the APR one. look into some of the companies i listed earlier(some don't list all the things online. so call them and ask). as well as talk to mike and see what he can do

Overboostin
04-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I really want someone to buy this and run it. I hope someone has the money to see if this works and put all the debate to rest. I mean remember the ebay intercooler debate? I know, I know, a turbo is far from an intercooler, but you never know how things will turn out...

gq331
04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
buy from a reputable tuner. Fuck that ebay shit. You drive an audi. Spend the money.

Overboostin
04-15-2008, 08:52 PM
buy from a reputable tuner. Fuck that ebay shit. You drive an audi. Spend the money.

[rolleyes] So eloquent... More like overpay for a majority of products they offer.

gq331
04-15-2008, 09:33 PM
[rolleyes] So eloquent... More like overpay for a majority of products they offer.

so.....you'd buy an ebay scan tool over a ross-tech vag com?

Overboostin
04-15-2008, 09:36 PM
um neither? I use pocketlogger. It does a lot more than an ebay scan tool but just a little less than vag for about half the price. Plus, it's on my palm pilot. There's nothing wrong with ebay scan tools anyway. Codes are codes, look them up on ross tech or buy a bentley.

legionvr6
04-15-2008, 09:46 PM
so.....you'd buy an ebay scan tool over a ross-tech vag com?

uummm i bought an ebay vag cable for $10 shiped. so far has worked on every vag i have tried it on

andyrew
04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
www.homemadeturbo.com

There are guys running the cheap shit.. They dont last long, but it does "work"

mike-2ptzero
04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Whats with the "waterworks" IC pipes? Man I dont think I have ever seen so many connector hoses on a FMIC setup in my life. When are the sellers on Ebay going to learn that if you put a bunch of POS parts you still have a POS kit.

audiness
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
if i had a shitty beater audi , i'd buy it and throw it on for fun to see how long it woudl last. For my daily driver , hell no

badseed
04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Some of the build pages on homemadeturbo.com are comically ghetto.

Overboostin
04-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I really wish I had the cash to buy a busted audi and put this turbo kit on and see how long it lasts. Finally put this argument to rest.

andyrew
04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Badspeed,

Yup that was a bit of the point... But hey they drive!

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
holy couplers BATMAN!!!

burner799
04-17-2008, 12:14 AM

you say , "you drive an audi," like we are in some high end luxury cars over here. b5's stock are worth about as much as a honda civic from the same year....maybe less.

Stampy
04-17-2008, 12:28 AM
^^^ Yep

legionvr6
04-17-2008, 12:45 AM
maybe but i can pull more take with my 99 audi then most guys can pull with a 2008 civic

Wizard-of-OD
04-17-2008, 02:13 AM
stay away from EBAY!!!
Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

Those turbochargers wont make more than 10psi of pressure before hitting the can.The shaft is welded to the impellers [eek] and the manifolds are made from the shittiest grade steel china has to offer.
Why are they cheap?Real question you have to ask yourself is why are they so expensive!

FWIW ebay has become such a useless place it is not even funny...I miss the days where I could find QUALITY products as reasonable prices.These days I have to use vortex & motorgeek classifieds to find the sweet deals I want.

As for the guys who want tot ry this....go right ahead.You will just become another member who has wasted 900+.I have testimonials from 2 shops that show how much garbage these kits but posting about them wont do me or the readers any good as next week and the week after someone will STILL buy one of these kits and then COMPLAIN when it does not perform to there standards.

Think about it,any turbo kit that costs LESS than the install labour does not deserve your time,money or effort.

Overboostin
04-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Ding ding ding...we have a winner!

Those turbochargers wont make more than 10psi of pressure before hitting the can.The shaft is welded to the impellers [eek] and the manifolds are made from the shittiest grade steel china has to offer.
Why are they cheap?Real question you have to ask yourself is why are they so expensive!

FWIW ebay has become such a useless place it is not even funny...I miss the days where I could find QUALITY products as reasonable prices.These days I have to use vortex & motorgeek classifieds to find the sweet deals I want.

As for the guys who want tot ry this....go right ahead.You will just become another member who has wasted 900+.I have testimonials from 2 shops that show how much garbage these kits but posting about them wont do me or the readers any good as next week and the week after someone will STILL buy one of these kits and then COMPLAIN when it does not perform to there standards.

Think about it,any turbo kit that costs LESS than the install labour does not deserve your time,money or effort.

Actually, I would be interested in reading the testimonials about these kits.

burner799
04-17-2008, 09:15 AM
maybe but i can pull more take with my 99 audi then most guys can pull with a 2008 civic

I got more ass in my 95 civic than I ever did in my audi. I know guys who can pick up girls with a bicycle. Most of the genuine ones don't care about your car.

I'd take an 08 civic over a 99 b5. not only cause itd be worth 3 times as much as my car but, it'd last a lot longer too.

mike-2ptzero
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I got more ass in my 95 civic than I ever did in my audi. I know guys who can pick up girls with a bicycle. Most of the genuine ones don't care about your car.

I'd take an 08 civic over a 99 b5. not only cause itd be worth 3 times as much as my car but, it'd last a lot longer too.

But at the end of the day it is still a CIVIC. [>_<]

turbo kraut
04-17-2008, 09:46 AM
there is a guy on af that bought a t3/t4 hybrid off ebay, cause his ko3 was toast....

he had to overclock it iirc and said it works decent........ not trying to say he was the smartest for buying it, or someone should run to ebay and get it, as i would never buy an ebay turbo unless someone on one of the forums had an add there....... but you do get what you pay for......

burner799
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
But at the end of the day it is still a CIVIC. [>_<]

i don't get it....it's still a civic at the beginning of the day too...thats the point.

xAUDIx
04-17-2008, 10:14 AM
You gotta pay to play

boostedup
04-17-2008, 11:21 AM
this dude from my job bought an ebay turbo kit from ebay, to put on his Toyota MR2. lasted about 2 months (problematic 2 months). then shit the bed by turbo housing splitting in half like it was made out of butter.......
not to mention fucking up other engine parts on the way. i wouldnt touch that kit with a 10 foot pole....

Overboostin
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
this dude from my job bought an ebay turbo kit from ebay, to put on his Toyota MR2. lasted about 2 months (problematic 2 months). then shit the bed by turbo housing splitting in half like it was made out of butter.......
not to mention fucking up other engine parts on the way. i wouldnt touch that kit with a 10 foot pole....

See this is good. Actual accounts of what happened to people who have actually used the turbo. It's so much better than people just making assumptions on a picture they saw on ebay.

boostedup
04-17-2008, 02:23 PM
See this is good. Actual accounts of what happened to people who have actually used the turbo. It's so much better than people just making assumptions on a picture they saw on ebay.

ya, but before he got it. i forewarned him. (from only hearsay). and the exact same thing that i had heard happening (ie. housing seperating) is what happened to him.

but for arguments sake, he DID NOT have a problem with the manifold, BOV, etc. so you could still buy this kit, then a brand name turbo. still would end up cheap and youd have a real turbo.

sixfiveoh
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM

So you rely on your car to get ass?

[:/]

devmaster
04-17-2008, 03:05 PM

i would take an '08 SI or a new R anyday..
k20s r good engines any way u slice it.. and i dont even like rice cars..

and u cant beat cheap cars that get in the low 14s

if my audi wasent worth nothing, i would almost think of trading it in

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM

Do you think this is the first time many of us seen what they kits can do?
This isnt the only forum in existence and those ebay company's make kits for all cars not just our super cool Audi's. Guess what same results.

Simply looking at the picture you can tell the craftsmanship is not up to par to last long.

and to the other poster:
i would rock a 08 civic si in a heartbeat... ( i wouldnt buy one but if it were given to me i would definately rock it.)

Overboostin
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Do you think this is the first time many of us seen what they kits can do?
This isnt the only forum in existence and those ebay company's make kits for all cars not just our super cool Audi's. Guess what same results.

Simply looking at the picture you can tell the craftsmanship is not up to par to last long.

and to the other poster:
i would rock a 08 civic si in a heartbeat... ( i wouldnt buy one but if it were given to me i would definately rock it.)

No, I know these kits have been around for awhile. I'm saying first hand accounts of what happens are very useful.

Tiluleshpingen
04-17-2008, 05:28 PM

wow really.. you forget its a 10 year old car well actually 13-14 years cuz the 1st b5 bodies where in troduced in 95.5(96) and its still timeless to the eyes who know how to pick a beatyful from the rest
edit: another thing if you maintain your vehicle it dont matter what it is it wil is till last, and dont be saying they have expesnive parts.. they dont try fixing stuff on 08 honda or even

burner799
04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
^^if you think all cars fall apart like ours do...you have never owned a honda. I didn't forget its a 10 year old car, i'm reminded of it every single time something breaks. My honda was 5 years older than my audi though, and i didn't have to fix half the shit I had to on the audi. Sorry but, these cars are made to fall apart after 50k miles. I'm not going to list all the stupid shit that's broken and is NOT a matter of maintenance.

Seems to be everyones excuse on here, "you have to do a lot of maintenance." no, the cars are just pieces of shit and fall apart so you have to constantly fix stuff AND do normal maintenance on top of it.....they really are pieces of shit.

njm23
05-24-2008, 09:16 AM
not to bring this thread back.. but someone actually bought this kit from the links that were posted up in this thread (first post link).. Find out who he is and ask him how it is. [>_<]

EOD-5
05-24-2008, 10:59 AM
i must say, if all those products were quality pieces, that would be a hell of a kit. but it would also be 5 times the price.. sorry, but it's crap

sean i just wanted to add a little controversy to this .... because the ebay ad obviously states that the pieces sold are high quality

# High quality tubular piping with large primaries
# High quality T3 turbocharger flange

[wrench]

EOD-5
05-24-2008, 11:01 AM
also can i just add, the blue FPR there is the POS no name one that was installed on my car when i bought it.... the FPR was on the return line

so...pressure going back to the tank was regulated .... awesome

fred2ka4
05-24-2008, 11:14 AM
These kits are crap and should not be put on our cars. There is an expression that rings true and it goes, "You get what you pay for"

I have had an APR Stage III set-up on my car going on almost 4 years with no problems what so ever. The few problems I have had, like my rear 02 sensor reading, and my high flow cat flange breaking, were both fixed by APR ......... FREE without any questions. That is something you will not get with an ebay kit and that is customer support as well as quality behind the product.

Try getting a hold of an ebay seller once something has broken or gone wrong with any part of the kit. Ebay kits are not product tested as they are putting together the cheapest parts in order to make a quick profit.

VTAudiA4
05-24-2008, 12:55 PM
These kits are crap and should not be put on our cars. There is an expression that rings true and it goes, "You get what you pay for"

I have had an APR Stage III set-up on my car going on almost 4 years with no problems what so ever. The few problems I have had, like my rear 02 sensor reading, and my high flow cat flange breaking, were both fixed by APR ......... FREE without any questions. That is something you will not get with an ebay kit and that is customer support as well as quality behind the product.

Try getting a hold of an ebay seller once something has broken or gone wrong with any part of the kit. Ebay kits are not product tested as they are putting together the cheapest parts in order to make a quick profit.

Fred just said it all. Now its time to put to thread to rest.

audiness
05-24-2008, 03:51 PM
^^if you think all cars fall apart like ours do...you have never owned a honda. I didn't forget its a 10 year old car, i'm reminded of it every single time something breaks. My honda was 5 years older than my audi though, and i didn't have to fix half the shit I had to on the audi. Sorry but, these cars are made to fall apart after 50k miles. I'm not going to list all the stupid shit that's broken and is NOT a matter of maintenance.

Seems to be everyones excuse on here, "you have to do a lot of maintenance." no, the cars are just pieces of shit and fall apart so you have to constantly fix stuff AND do normal maintenance on top of it.....they really are pieces of shit.

i generally agree with everythign you said. But Honda's just dont have the sexiness of an audi.

our 2 other cars are a honda and a toyota [:o][;)]

prey
05-24-2008, 05:58 PM
hmm, well to the people who made remarks about audi reliability vs honda's, just go to the fukin jdm fo'life forums or something, i have owned 3 audis all of them over 100k miles, nothing major has went wrong with any of them, except some regular maintainence items.

I hate it when they try to compare 2 completely different cars which have a different class.

A4wheelsSmokin
05-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, I'm not going to say that it's a good kit in the form it comes in, but it doesn't take much to make it a good kit. I use a similar kit on my old civic with a built B18. Before I installed it, I replaced the cheap ebay seals, re-clocked it, and had the manifold re-welded. This ran me a total of $135. After getting retuned the kit made 334whp 287wtq and lasted me a whole year with me beating on it cause I thought it wouldn't last more than a month. I sold the car and it lasted the guy that bought it about 8 months and the turbo finally gave up. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if you know what your doing and are on a tight budget, you can make one of those ebay kits work. Not too sure how it would do on a Audi though, since tuning is limited to base files.

Overboostin
05-24-2008, 11:15 PM

So if audis are such pieces of shit, why do you drive one? My s4 has over 120,000 miles on it and I've had VERY little issues. Pretty much just regular maintenance. If you treat your car like shit it'll turn into it.

JeffM1587
05-25-2008, 06:47 PM
(1) 35mm Wastegate:
# V-band clamp style
lol they dont even know what V band clamp is.