PDA

View Full Version : In car turbo removal?

hossified
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
i looked through the DIY and did a search and found nothing...

My turbo is a howling beast now and I found a guy local that will rebuild it for 150 bucks(might just try and do it myself) and he can also put on a k04 inlet side housing and impellar... not sure how much...

back to the point...

how hard is it to yank the turbo out?

is it as simple as:

remove air box

disconnect cat

disconnect the oil and coolant lines (oil lines are under the turbo right)

remove that dumb support bar

take off the intake hose (do it last to keep crap out of the turbo that is going to be taken apart and cleaned anyway)

anything else?

is $150 fair for a rebuild that will only take a day to get my turbo back?

are there any tricks I am unaware of?

and i forgot about the three obvious bolts on the manifold...

Grangalan
04-14-2008, 09:00 PM
for 150 on a rebuild? thats hella cheap, almost suspiciously cheap.

biketsai
04-14-2008, 09:00 PM
sounds like you about got it, you might want to remove the manifold to make it easier. Getting the stubborn bolts out are the worse though. make sure you have a good set of Allen ratchets

hossified
04-14-2008, 09:05 PM
sounds like you about got it, you might want to remove the manifold to make it easier. Getting the stubborn bolts out are the worse though. make sure you have a good set of Allen ratchets

I have a spare AWM engine that we took the turbo off of and I am not too sure about getting all like 20 bolts off the manifold, and then putting the back on while in the car...

is it worth the 2-6 hours it takes to drop the engine to get them out?

hossified
04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
for 150 on a rebuild? thats hella cheap, almost suspiciously cheap.

we hooked him up with some good parts for cheap so he is hooking it up...

is it worth it for me to upgrade to a k04 shaft and inlet housing?

CaSp3r9
04-14-2008, 09:11 PM
If you're confident/mechanically inclined enough to do it yourself then I'd say go for it. It's pretty straight forward for the most part and it's always fun to tear your car apart haha. But don't try to rebuild the turbo yourself, it needs to be balanced on a machine at a shop, it's not something you can do in your garage.

Here's a writeup I found on Audiworld...
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng27b.shtml

Good luck!

CaSp3r9
04-14-2008, 09:16 PM
we hooked him up with some good parts for cheap so he is hooking it up...

is it worth it for me to upgrade to a k04 shaft and inlet housing?

Depends on how much it costs, if it's cheap - why not? I'm not entirely sure if it is necessary to have software written for a k04 on something like this tho... anyone know?

hossified
04-14-2008, 09:17 PM
If you're confident/mechanically inclined enough to do it yourself then I'd say go for it. It's pretty straight forward for the most part and it's always fun to tear your car apart haha. But don't try to rebuild the turbo yourself, it needs to be balanced on a machine at a shop, it's not something you can do in your garage.

Here's a writeup I found on Audiworld...
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng27b.shtml

Good luck!

Thats a big help, the write-up is pretty solid... As I continue to wrench and part these cars out ill try and get some decent FIY write ups for some obscure parts...

Taking the stuff out is easy, I am more worried about reinstall...

biketsai
04-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Reinstall is just as easy, especially because you dont have to get stubborn bolts out with bloodly hands

CaSp3r9
04-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Reinstall is just as easy, especially because you dont have to get stubborn bolts out with bloodly hands

Amen to that haha

Bic-Ball
04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
I removed my AC compressor to make removal easier, especially to get to the support bracket bolt. Removing the manifold is totally unnecessary, it just makes more stubborn bolts to get out. My only recommendations are to buy a hex socket to use on the support bracket bolt and take it out from the bottom with the help of some flex bits. To unbolt the turbo from the manifold use some extensions to get the ratchet higher than the car body, I hurt my knuckles a lot when the socket slipped off the bolts. The turbo to exhaust bolts were hard to get at, i ended up doing it without a racket, just used a long extensions, a flex bit and a 17mm? bit, turning the extension 90 degrees and using it to turn the bolt was the easiest way to do it.

hossified
04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
I think I am set on the tools I need, just waiting to get my econ stimulus or tax return and ill only be out of the car for a day or two...

audiness
04-15-2008, 06:32 PM
to get the turbo out and back in count on 4 - 6 hours depending on how many times you've done it