PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Problem

Calisto
04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Ok, i have had my 99.5 a4 since august and i only noticed the horrible clunking noise on the passenger side front wheel after pothole season started, while driving its fine even under stress (hard cornering) there is no noise, but everytime i hit a bump or pothole i get a really nasty clunk noise, I know there is something wrong but i just need to know what it might be so when i bring it in I know what to expect. For reference its a 1.8t sport suspension, with 145k on it.

devmaster
04-13-2008, 06:03 PM
control arm most likely

Calisto
04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
ok thats kinda what I thought, i should just buy one of the kits from ecs or that other site right

prey
04-13-2008, 07:03 PM
my shocks did that, it will do that if the shock is half blown, i upgraded the suspension and its gone and is perfect.

akielb
04-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Might be as simple as your sway bar links or TRE's going bad. Worst case its your control arms - best case its your shocks and you have a reason to go low.
Buy the FEBI kit on Purems.com

gq331
04-13-2008, 09:24 PM
your rack is loose, jack up the car, take a look where the rack comes out. Look inside, make sure it's flush with the top. Even better, take off the plastics that cover the battery and brake juice. Look for 2 10mm 10 point bolts. Make sure they are tight.

Calisto
04-14-2008, 07:17 AM
ok i should also mention that i get a harsh vibration after I hit about 75 on the highway, not sure if the problems are related

keeganhartman
04-14-2008, 08:22 AM
yeah definately check the TREs this caused mine to clunk

Mike@PureMS
04-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Could be a number of things. Anything from control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links, or even the top bushing on the shock.

If it's something that just has started developing over time, you can usually rule out the stop bushing on the shock. That usually only makes noise right away after a poorly installed suspension kit.

If it's any of the others, just change everything out with a full control arm kit. You'll save time and headache, and get it all done at once.

A4 Control Arm Kit (http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1013)

Calisto
04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Ok the control Arm kit looks good but any idea how many hours of labor it takes to swap all that out, cause I'm not doing the work myself and I need to know what to expect cost-wise