PDA

View Full Version : Misfire/Bogging Down! HELP PLEASE!

mark_2328
04-10-2008, 09:28 PM
So my car started bogging down during boost when I go over about 1/2 throttle. It will just bog down for a couple seconds, then kinda fight through it and smooth out. Sounds really bad though, so I've been babying it ever since. I'm assuming its something with my air/fuel. Maybe a vac/boost leak somewhere? Would the O2 sensor cause something like this? My buddy says he doesn't think it sounds like a misfire, but I'm not sure. Not throwing a CEL, and I have VAG-COM, but haven't used it much and I don't have a laptop right now. When I do end up VAGing it, what should I log, etc?

a4mark1
04-11-2008, 07:20 AM
So my car started bogging down during boost when I go over about 1/2 throttle. It will just bog down for a couple seconds, then kinda fight through it and smooth out. Sounds really bad though, so I've been babying it ever since. I'm assuming its something with my air/fuel. Maybe a vac/boost leak somewhere? Would the O2 sensor cause something like this? My buddy says he doesn't think it sounds like a misfire, but I'm not sure. Not throwing a CEL, and I have VAG-COM, but haven't used it much and I don't have a laptop right now. When I do end up VAGing it, what should I log, etc?

Bro, theres about 10 of us with the same problem. Scroll down the list of threads, and you will find a few possible solutions.

mark_2328
04-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I don't think its that big of a deal, bro. If anything, it will help you out too. Settle down.

creechsa4
04-11-2008, 06:04 PM
i vote for boost leak. doesn't seem you have a misfire, you didn't mention a blinking cel. get some pvc caps and tap in a pneumatic fitting. put it on your intake hose and pressurize to about 15-20 psi. just be careful on this leak tester i've launched a few pvc caps at myself for not tightening down the hose clamp. plus you can check vag for softcodes if you get misfires due to plugs/plug gap... good luck w/ your tests.

mark_2328
04-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I have a tester, just haven't had time to check it out. Would that cause it to bog down so much though?

creechsa4
04-11-2008, 08:42 PM
hmm maybe, you might be leakin boost to atmosphere causing a rich condition. plugs black?

mark_2328
04-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Finally got it to throw a CEL. Misfiring on cyl 2 and random. Same thing that happened when the ICM took a shit on me. But would the ICM cause it to only misfire under boost? Tried another coilpack but that didn't do anything. I'll try new plugs today, but I don't think that will do anything either. I'm running out of patience for this.