PDA

View Full Version : stuttering/misfiring after 5 psi

a4mark1
04-09-2008, 11:46 AM
So I've had my b5 for about 3 years now, runs great.
I just recently replaced the ignition coil on cylinder 2 due to a misfire, and a few days later when i would hit anything over 5 psi (mainly around 7 and up) there would be a stutter in the boost resulting in loss of power etc.

CEL starts to temporarily flash as well.

Boost leak?
new spark plug?
hopefully nothing too expensive.

THanks guys

Stampy
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I had a coilpack go like that. Only after 5PSI would the car stutter and then I would get the CEL. Car would drive fine though under 5 psi. Did you scan it with VAG or a OBDII scanner? ANy codes at all?

a4mark1
04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Not since after the first coil pack went out.
Did replacing the coil pack fix your problem?

CSHO1.8t
04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
first thing you should always do on misfire is check your plugs, maybe clean your MAF. see what happens

creechsa4
04-09-2008, 01:16 PM
a4mark, what year b5 are you?

a4mark1
04-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I am a 2001, produced in july of that year...

dont know if that makes me .5.
just got back from autozone. Random misfires everywhere. Misfire on cylinder 2 and 4.

just had sparkplugs, and MAF done less than a month ago.

as well as the coil pack on cylinder 2.

Im bout to just take her into the shop. I dont know what it could be.

Im bone stock besides a carbonio intake and testpipe as far as performance goes.

auto_euroticaA4
04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
ive been struggling with the same problem..replaced the same things, car runs fine but i still get p1128 code which is lean mixture. i asked a couple guys and they insisted it was my k&n filter shooting oil into the MAF. so i added an elbow so that the filter wouldnt be so close to the element, but still hasnt fixed it. glad someone else is having a similar problem, limp mode is killing me.

Stampy
04-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Did you try swapping the coils from cylinder 2 and 4 to 1 and 3? If the code follows the swap you know its the coils. What kind of plugs are you running? I'm assuming stock range gapped to .032 since you said your pretty much stock.

I'm chipped and run one range colder with the pluggs gapped to .028. I was having a small misfire at idle. Just checked them out tonight, one of them was actually gapped to .032 somehow. Anyway, gapped it right and now the car is fine. Hopefully your problem is something simple too