PDA

View Full Version : I have two questions!

giorgos_B5c
04-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi guys....I want to ask you some things that bothers me for a long time...

First:

With a short shifter kit,do you actually gain anything?I mean ok,your dead time between shifts is smaller due to smaller distances,but i have heard from many people that because with a short shifter kit is tighter-harder to put in a gear you need to push the lever with more power.Due to this it is claimed that the time you gain from the shorter distances you lose it again because of the difficulty to put the gear....

Second:

I have a custome exhaust on my car.It is 70mm downpipe to racing cat,and 63,5 or 65mm(can't remember) to the back muffler.If i put a middle muffler in my car,will it perform better?Do i have to much back pressure loss??

My car specs:98 1.8TQM AJL engine code.Custome program 1.3bars @217ps,custome exhaust,forge 007 dump.
TIA

jm121189
04-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Changing the throw of the shift shouldn't change the force needed to engage the gears. I'd say where ever you heard that is full of it. A good shifter like the JHM one will reduce shift time and you will be more confident about each shift so you can shift even faster. If you add a second muffler or resonator it will make the exhaust more quite and will reduce the exhaust flow a little. You shouldn't notice much if any power loss unless you are really pushing the limits and you would still need a dyno to notice that it had changed.

giorgos_B5c
04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
My mechanic says that my exhaust is too empty and i'm loosing backpressure...He says that if i put a middle resonator my car will go much better,but i don't know....With my current exhaust i put out 217ps on a rototest dyno...

onemoremile
04-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Reducing the throws of a shifter does not increase shifting speed. That is dependent on the syncros and how much you want to abuse them. A short shifter changes the way the shifter feels and may make it more precise but it does not change shifting speed.

Your power is limited by the flow of the turbo. Increasing backpressure will not help it.

jm121189
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Why doesn't a short throw shifter increase shifting speed? If you have 2 distances to cover(stock vs. short throw) using the same speed the shorter one will happen faster. I know with my JHM I can shift much faster and it's not just because I have more confidence. I'm sure the condition of your syncros makes a difference since a warn syncro would make shifting harder.

sixfiveoh
04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Why doesn't a short throw shifter increase shifting speed? If you have 2 distances to cover(stock vs. short throw) using the same speed the shorter one will happen faster. I know with my JHM I can shift much faster and it's not just because I have more confidence. I'm sure the condition of your syncros makes a difference since a warn syncro would make shifting harder.

You can only shift as fast as you can use the clutch.

jm121189
04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
You can only shift as fast as you can use the clutch.

Ya thats a given, but if you can cut down the time needed to hold the clutch in you can shift faster.