PDA

View Full Version : So I'm trying to install my test pipe

Grangalan
04-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Sure sound good and all, but how the hell do you get to the rear flange bolts? I've got air tools up the ass but no way of getting to the bolts. Any ideas?

biketsai
04-05-2008, 12:43 PM
you have to get under the car with a swivel extension

Grangalan
04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
doesnt seem like theres room with my air ratchet. tried a swivel extension.

biketsai
04-05-2008, 01:24 PM
1. PB blast everything. Remove intake and your heatshield, and the first 02 sensor with a 7/8" wrench
2. Remove the 2 Cat-Turbo bolts with a 17mm socket with swivel and extension.
3.Remove belly pan, and then remove the bolt holding the downpipe to the car with a 1/2" socket.
4. Remove the last Cat-Turbo bolt from the bottom with the 17mm socket and swivel and extension.
5. Once you have the Cat loose from the turbo, pull the Cat off the turbo.
6. There will be 3 bolts holding the Downpipe-Cat. Remove these 3 with a 13mm socket. They will be very hard to remove, dont worry about breaking them in the process because they are seized. (I broke 2 yesterday). PS:you WILL need a longgg ass extension with the swivel, this is the most frustrating part.
7. After all those are off, the cat is free. Remove the second 02 sensor with a 7/8" wrench.
8. Install is the same vice versa. any more questions, LMK

Eurotuned_A4
04-05-2008, 01:28 PM
lol i didnt want to suffer this so i paid a shop to do it.

biketsai
04-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Its really not so bad, I did it yesterday in about an hour and thirty mintues.
The hard part is just getting those seized bolts unbolted, and having to put that swivel attatched to the socket back on the bolt continuously

VOoDooGTX
04-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I used a air gun with a swivel extension. only bitch was the exhaust didnt want to come apart.

t1demont1
04-05-2008, 02:57 PM
the way i did it was to pull the downpipe and cat out through the engine bay(kinda a pia) and then put the downpipe on the tespipe and install in reverse.

////D
04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
the way i did it was to pull the downpipe and cat out through the engine bay(kinda a pia) and then put the downpipe on the tespipe and install in reverse.

thats what i did, and it worked well

Tiluleshpingen
04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Its really not so bad, I did it yesterday in about an hour and thirty mintues.
The hard part is just getting those seized bolts unbolted, and having to put that swivel attatched to the socket back on the bolt continuously

you did it on jack stands?

biketsai
04-05-2008, 10:32 PM
1st time I did it on a friends car we did it with jacks and it took some time. When I did it yesterday on my car I did it on a lift

Nebone
04-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Lift reduces work time tenfold. Jack stand method is usually few hours with seized bolts.

Grangalan
04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Lift reduces work time tenfold. Jack stand method is usually few hours with seized bolts.

well find out tomorrow , i PB blasted the bolts overnight and tomorrow im hitting them with with a high torque impact wrench. screw hand tools

biketsai
04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Yea, i am very glad I was able to use a lift.
It is the biggest pain trying to get leverage on a seized bolt when the car is about a foot off the ground

biketsai
04-05-2008, 11:18 PM
well find out tomorrow , i PB blasted the bolts overnight and tomorrow im hitting them with with a high torque impact wrench. screw hand tools

MAKE SURE, that you get the bottom DP to Cat bolts, all three

_audible_
04-06-2008, 07:49 AM
If you haven't gotten it out yet, take your dp out with the cat still in place and swap them.

Grangalan
04-06-2008, 04:46 PM
been storming all day so i gotta wait. To take out the downpipe is it easier than acessing the bolts?

biketsai
04-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Jw, where does the DP disconnect? I dont have bolts to undo mine because I had that area cut off.

oneohone
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
It is the biggest pain trying to get leverage on a seized bolt when the car is about a foot off the ground

Teehee. It was fun tho.

Grangalan
04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

i have no choice in that. So i guess seized bolt, say hello to impact wrench.
Just for the record, its easier to just take the TP off right? ill have 2 hours of sunlight to do this in.

iin10ded
04-07-2008, 01:45 PM
IME there's no magic - just a lotta swearing / bashed knuckles with about 4 different swivels, extensions, etc.

next time i do it i'm getting a set of flex-head gearwrenches at HomeD - those would make it a LOT easier. well.. maybe a little easier anyway.

i think i pulled the tranny mount to get some clearance. i had a helper too holding the topside nuts while I worked the bolts. or vice versa. an extra pair of hands makes all the difference, if your TP doesn't have the captive nuts like the stock cat.

Grangalan
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
uhhh i will pay someone to do this shit for me, even with a swivel extension the only thing that will fit is a fucking crescent wrench ... and i dont have the room

car is jacked up, no lift is acessible. this is BS