PDA

View Full Version : coolant leaked - head gasket blew

er1c
04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Here's what happened:

I was in my car, talking to my exgirlfriend... all of a sudden a ploom of smoke comes out of the engine bay. I immediately turn off the car--- and see the temp gauge all the way up to max. I pop the hood, let the smoke clear... and see the lower radiator hose coming from the coolant tank is off and all of the coolant is drained out.

I take the car 1/4 mile to a local indy mechanic... he calls me up the next day telling me the head gasket blew.

Is it possible for the gasket to blow in a matter of minutes?

I ordered a new head gasket and the removal tools ... the indy mechanic quoted me anywhere between $1500-2000 --- no way in hell I can afford that right now.

How hard would this be to do it myself?

Any tips / advice please. I'm going to be attempting to do it this weekend.

Don Supreme
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
$2000 dollars hahhahhahahha hell no (well you are in NY).

Assuming the head isn't warped you could have a shop throw in rods and do the heak gasket job for cheaper than that!

The job is do able and probably worth doing your timing belt @ the same time.

er1c
04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
I called up a few indy shops--- no one will touch it for less than $1500.

This is why I must do it myself! [wrench]

Tiluleshpingen
04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
^^^whats with the indy shops?

er1c
04-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm going to tackle this tomorrow... no one has any advice on how not to destroy my engine while doing this? Please any tips/tricks/advice on doing a head gasket replacement guys.

audiness
04-05-2008, 07:22 AM
you really should have a bentley manual for this type of job... i don't know that there is a DIY out there. good luck.

Just go in logical order, put the bolts you take off in LABELED ziploc bags.

jrock
04-05-2008, 09:59 AM
yeah man i was in the same boat as you. It is time consuming but as long as you have ok mechanical skills and common sense you can do it.

here is the timing belt job link
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng35.shtml

and the head removal
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165946&highlight=head+removal

AudiA4_20T
04-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm going to tackle this tomorrow... no one has any advice on how not to destroy my engine while doing this? Please any tips/tricks/advice on doing a head gasket replacement guys.

you need new stock head bolts FYI...

its pretty straightforward, valve cover, other random stuff, head comes up