PDA

View Full Version : Rim question (I know!) - Spacer doesn't change offset...

mattdogg02
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Am I right in thinking that a spacer doesn't actually change the offset of a rim, it just changes the 'effective' offset of the rim to the car compared to the offset without a spacer?

hackers4
04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes...you are correct.

Cargo8
04-02-2008, 02:43 PM
The spacer changes the effective offset, and doesn't change the actual rim...but the effective offset is all that really matters. i mean if the spacer is off then the offset changes. THe question is kind of... pointless? sorry

i mean, what about this is applicable? what are you worried about? maybe then we can give a better answer.

RAudi Driver
04-02-2008, 04:25 PM
That's a good question Cargo. Mattdog, where are you going with this? Is there something that you are tyring to figure out that you are unsure of? Let us know.

mattdogg02
04-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Well I had just been looking at all of the offset questions in the forum and so many of them talked about how adding a 10mm spacer reduced the offset from 45 to 35, etc. Now know its the effective offset. I know that the physical dimensions of the rim wouldn't change so I guess I was just trying to get a better understanding of all the wheel aspects, like clearing brakes/etc.

Nothing specifically in mind regarding a set of rims or anything, just trying to catch up.

Cargo8
04-03-2008, 12:11 PM
oh alright. well the spacer is not like attached to the rim or anything, it just goes on first, then the rim, thus the rim would be pushed outwards, see? The lower the +offset, the closer to the fender the wheel gets. The higher the +offset the more tucked in the wheel is and thus if the offset is too high, then the wheels cannot clear brakes and the spacers are needed.

Also spacers are used for the more aggressive/wider stance