PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a GTR to eat for lunch

GR8 Ghost
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I think it just moved (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/01/report-audi-r8-to-get-twin-turbo-v10-power-next-year/)

Silververtu
04-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Very interesting news, thanks alot!

But I still can't afford one....

GramCracker
04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Aren't you lucky! Your getting that, right?

Tiesto
04-01-2008, 02:56 PM
That engine looks quite intimidating, can't wait to see the final product! [up]

Matth13
04-01-2008, 03:31 PM
wooow thats more stock hp then the v12 was gonna be right?

GR8 Ghost
04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Aren't you lucky! Your getting that, right?

Oh yeah! [O_O]

cerfus
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
considering that nissian deliberately de-tuned the GTR, when that thing is tuned a bit, I would bet money that it will beat an R8..sorry.

Silververtu
04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
considering that nissian deliberately de-tuned the GTR, when that thing is tuned a bit, I would bet money that it will beat an R8..sorry.

Get the Mine's computer and its Ti exhaust will be perfect for me. [drive]

Vuel Egham
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
You'll need it. Car & Driver just tested a GTR @ 3.3 to 60, and 11.7 @ 124. That is a fast mofo.

GR8 Ghost
04-02-2008, 01:40 PM

That would be the ricer thing to do. Detuned GTR vs. detuned R10 TT V10. My money is on the Audi. But the Audi can also be tuned. Twin Turbo V10. That engine is easily good for 650 horses, and still be driveable. Time will tell if they even make it. I'm just happy that the roof from the V12 is coming. That folks...is bad ass. Even without an engine, the R8 wins in the looks department. Am I right?

marcus1701
04-02-2008, 01:54 PM
GTRs don't look particularly sexy, and looks too much like the Altima Coupe. If you're not a car guy, you wouldn't give it a second look. Albeit it's big and imposing but you drive that car to go fast on a track. It's the EVO of supercar's I guess with the most power/ dollar. $US75k I think....a real bargain.

MrTT213
04-02-2008, 05:09 PM
i would def go with the r8
it looks so much sexier then the gtr

cerfus
04-02-2008, 06:42 PM
well on looks hands down R8, Its not that good looking kinda off balance, front is too short in comparison to the rear, just something about it. But racing a 200k car against a 55k car, I would let the guy with the 55k-60k car tune it a bit. And how is that the ricer thing to do? I would tune any supercar for sure, as long as it still is drivable. A lambo Murci LP640 is in my future hopefully, and you better believe that im tunin' that Italian skank.My buddy just got one, deleted the cats, and ohhh myyy goood. Its so scary sounding.

So yeah detuned the TT V10 would beat a TTV6 ( I think those gtr's have V6's?), but thats like racing an E90 M3 against a lambo gallardo lp550 the numbers might be close on the launch but in the long run the lambo (audi) will be faster. Tuning an M3(GTR), and not the lambo (audi) would only make it even in my mind.

But off the launch I think the gtr will take the V10, the quattro makes it bog down, and the gtr has the fastest smg system in the world.

p.s. I raced a porsche cayenne GTS today and smoked it. terrible color too, burgundy.

Eurotuned_A4
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
that will be badass! and for the person that said nissan detuned the gtr...who cares. Im sure audi isnt maxing this tt v10 out either. chip and exhaust(which most people will do to the gtr) and your gonna be at some crazy power. plus, GTR is hideous. the older cars look mugh better, nissan made a horrible looking car imo....fast, but ugly.

GR8 Ghost
04-03-2008, 05:32 AM
that will be badass! and for the person that said nissan detuned the gtr...who cares. Im sure audi isnt maxing this tt v10 out either. chip and exhaust(which most people will do to the gtr) and your gonna be at some crazy power. plus, GTR is hideous. the older cars look mugh better, nissan made a horrible looking car imo....fast, but ugly.

I think they made it fast so that you could keep it moving. Stop anywhere and people will laugh at it. LOL. Just kidding.

Eurotuned_A4
04-03-2008, 09:07 AM
lol good one. The car just doesnt stand out in looks as it should....good looks that is. I think nissan focused way more on the engine/performance(not a bad thing) and just slapped on a regular look on top of it all. If the car had a decent look, i would even be game for one. But if you are gonna have a car like this, make it stand out imho. the r8 stands out, porsches, and even vettes do the same. All of these cars have the performance and the looks....a complete package. not many people will give thge GTR a second look unless they are car people.

GR8 Ghost
04-03-2008, 11:06 AM
lol good one. The car just doesnt stand out in looks as it should....good looks that is. I think nissan focused way more on the engine/performance(not a bad thing) and just slapped on a regular look on top of it all. If the car had a decent look, i would even be game for one. But if you are gonna have a car like this, make it stand out imho. the r8 stands out, porsches, and even vettes do the same. All of these cars have the performance and the looks....a complete package. not many people will give thge GTR a second look unless they are car people.

I just drove through Times Square in the R8 at lunchtime. Guaranteed, the GTR would not have elicited such a reaction. I drove my brother around Manhattan in it and he was laughing at the adoration it gets. [:D] Cops, lawyers, secretaries (some hot ones I might ad), construction workers, homeless guys wearing rubber gloves, crack whores, bike messengers, tourists, kids, the elderly, nuns. Jesus would have picked a bad day to resurrect. I don't think anyone would have noticed. [:D]

Vuel Egham
04-04-2008, 07:43 PM
LOL. Scandalous.

Meradin
04-04-2008, 11:00 PM
ROFL. That was great GR8. I can't wait for the same.

Nico
04-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I thought Audi pulled the plug of their twin turbo v10 due to the excessive heat the engine produced which led to all 3 of their prototypes burning down on the nurburgring!

http://paultan.org/archives/2007/11/27/audi-rs8-to-be-powered-by-rs6-twin-turbo-v10/

GR8 Ghost
04-05-2008, 05:55 AM
I thought Audi pulled the plug of their twin turbo v10 due to the excessive heat the engine produced which led to all 3 of their prototypes burning down on the nurburgring!

http://paultan.org/archives/2007/11/27/audi-rs8-to-be-powered-by-rs6-twin-turbo-v10/

They fixed it with that sexy roof duct from the V12 TDI.

marlonuf
04-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Thats a hot engine and I too am pleased audi looks like they will implement it. I agree with most what everyone else has said, the GTR is butt ugly. The only thing I could relent to was that its a purposeful design. Still, I wouldn't get one just on the looks and interior alone. I saw it at the NYC auto show and wasn't impressed. I guess if numbers impress you then you wouldn't care about the looks that much.

vinny.dtw
04-06-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm honestly surprised by this move. Considering Porsche is now the big brother of Audi, Porsche would allow a v10tt that would basically chew into porsche turbo sales. Interesting none the less.

Quattroownsyou
04-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Curb weight for the GTR will be around 3800-3900lbs...that's pretty heavy for a supercar (which means the GTR is making more than the advertised 480hp if you consider the tested numbers)...wait and see i guess.

Regardless...the V10 TT R8 will run down a GTR. Tune the V10 a bit and again...no contest. The bigger displacement and lighter weight of the R8 will make it a formidable supercar. Porsche had better do their homework before releasing their next series of 100 grand turbo cars...or else the R8 TT is going to steal a few customers.

GR8 Ghost
04-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Curb weight for the GTR will be around 3800-3900lbs...that's pretty heavy for a supercar (which means the GTR is making more than the advertised 480hp if you consider the tested numbers)...wait and see i guess.

Regardless...the V10 TT R8 will run down a GTR. Tune the V10 a bit and again...no contest. The bigger displacement and lighter weight of the R8 will make it a formidable supercar. Porsche had better do their homework before releasing their next series of 100 grand turbo cars...or else the R8 TT is going to steal a few customers.

Not to mention it doesn't look like an Altima humped an 350z [:D]

Murderface
04-07-2008, 06:33 AM
I don't see how people could expect a 3.0TT motor in a heavier car to beat a 5.0TT in a lighter car unless Audi strapped dual K03's to the R8[=(]

(which wouldn't make any sense and wouldn't produce 580hp...)

A4CE1
04-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Not to mention it doesn't look like an Altima humped an 350z [:D]

hahahahaha what a way to put it... at the end of the day i'm sure the audi will dominate, and regardless... who would rather be in a NISSAN than an audi.

b00st
04-07-2008, 11:23 AM
well currently the GTR is limited to 112mph. so when he offered up the mine's ECU...that VX ECU unlock the 112mph limiter as well as the 2nd defeat which is done via GPS SAT NAV. so both of those needed to be by-passed to get passed 112mph.
but as it sits stock...not much compares to it as is. i don't believe this V10 TT will beat it. aesthetics is one thing. if we are talking performance...thats another. we are comparing to different things here. the topics is R8 beating up on a GTR....don't think that will happen. looks wise...hands down...R8 with a V8 or V10...doesn't matter [:D]

but most speculation states that it is very unlikely that the R35 GTR will come to the U.S. with that 112mph limit...so in fact it will be stock on stock goodness. i've seen 3.6 0-60mph...haven't seen it as low as 3.3 but the GTR is a beast non-the-less. it does show a lil weaker compared to the C6 Z06 as far as reaching 100mph but its still a supercar at a cheap price.

b00st
04-07-2008, 11:24 AM
honestly for me....i think the next ride will be an R35 GTR...i still have my S4 to cruise in. its no R8....but i like it.

Stak3407
04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Well their is some bad news, the reviews of the the new GTR are fantastic. In Road and Track it spanked a 911 Gt3 and a Z06 Corvette at the track by 5 whole seconds. I agree it is truly bulbous and ugly but it is spanking the competition.
And for $75,000-$85,000 loaded really reasonable as well. I would rather have an R8 but for the cost you are getting a super car killer.

b00st
04-07-2008, 12:22 PM
yeah thats why i said performance wise....there isn't much that it won't beat.

visually...that can be argued. i've been a big fan of the skyline and to finally get my hands on one without importing it, will be cool. and as far as it being stock...its already a top performer....just wait till they do the actually re-mapping of the ECU, up the boost, do exhaust work....etc.

dreamcar=rs4
07-30-2008, 04:53 PM
So it looks like the R8 V10 will be NA. Any possibility it could be twin turbo?

Looks like the roof intake on the R8 V12 TDI is functional (http://www.rsportscars.com/audi/audi-r8-tdi-le-mans-concept/gallery/photo-16667/), which could help resolve overheating issues. Audi could really put themselves on the map with the 572 hp RS6 engine.

If Audi is planning on beating the ZR1 (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/28/audi-insider-claims-v10-r8-will-beat-zr1-around-the-ring/), they better have some form of forced induction.

akasch
08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
even though the R8 is just beautiful, the gtr is definitely extreme bang for the buck

jejeclown
08-01-2008, 12:10 PM
well on looks hands down R8, Its not that good looking kinda off balance, front is too short in comparison to the rear, just something about it. But racing a 200k car against a 55k car, I would let the guy with the 55k-60k car tune it a bit. And how is that the ricer thing to do? I would tune any supercar for sure, as long as it still is drivable. A lambo Murci LP640 is in my future hopefully, and you better believe that im tunin' that Italian skank.My buddy just got one, deleted the cats, and ohhh myyy goood. Its so scary sounding.

Dude, where do you get your info?? The R8 V8 is just above 100k (MSRP), and i cant imagine that the v10 would DOUBLE the price of the car, and how about this, if you can find me the new GT-R for 55k il buy one for you as well as for myself. Do some reasearch before making such bold statements.

audi til I die
08-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah the R8's MSRP is a bit over $100k but due to the high demand and exclusivity dealers are having a f*ckfest and doubling the price. My fave brand is Audi hands down but R34 Skyline is the best performance car ever t be built in an assembly line. R34's I6 RB26DETT engine is the most powerful engine yet and still kills all these 1/2 million dollar trinkets. R8's are beautiful vehicles and have everything in one package but if you honestly want bragging rights on a track you'll be embarrassed by a 10 year old, 2800lb, 1,172hp track monster. Skylines are veteran time attack dogs and even a modified R8 doesn't stand a chance performance-wise. R35's aren't even out yet and tuners like Blitz and Top Secret are speculating 1,000+hp applications. I'm not too happy that R35's are gonna be available to the yuppy crowd w/ an auto. The mystique of the GT-Rs will be lost. But its still a respectable car. And with a tastefully modded Nissan I'd be double-taking between both beauties.

Auditude2.0T
08-02-2008, 09:46 AM
MTM Stage I Chip ($2500) for the new RS6 is rated at 702HP. If the R8 gets the RS6 engine figure around 750-850HP with Chip/Intake/Full Exhaust/Intercoolers and some little stuff.

R1Wolf
08-03-2008, 08:32 AM
GTRs don't look particularly sexy, and looks too much like the Altima Coupe.

Altima Coupe, I have an Altima Coupe and I think the GTR's are straight up ugly. Wish I could afford and S5 or R8, but I can't. And with the amount of mile I drive for work, I would hate to do that to those cars anyway.

audi til I die
08-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Altima's are nice but still FWD. Turn off. R35 grew on me aestheticly-wise.

cerfus
08-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Dude, where do you get your info?? The R8 V8 is just above 100k (MSRP), and i cant imagine that the v10 would DOUBLE the price of the car, and how about this, if you can find me the new GT-R for 55k il buy one for you as well as for myself. Do some reasearch before making such bold statements.

were talking msrp, msrp on GTR's is around 60k-70k I know someone who was quoted 63k they didnt buy it for that much because of dealer markup but if were talking msrp, months back they quoted that for gtr's. And you cant see the V10 doubling that?[rolleyes] seriously..if the V8 is going for 180k([>_>]) then I can see the V10 easily shooting up to close to 240k. Although A F430 Scuderia is around the same cost and will spank that thing all day, scuderia's cost around 260k and its weight 2756 lbs. the R8 weighs 3439 lbs, and sadly I think the R10 will weigh a bit more..but I hope not. I just think they need to watch the cost of this car as it gets into certain other super car territories.

jejeclown
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
were talking msrp, msrp on GTR's is around 60k-70k I know someone who was quoted 63k they didnt buy it for that much because of dealer markup but if were talking msrp, months back they quoted that for gtr's. And you cant see the V10 doubling that?[rolleyes] seriously..if the V8 is going for 180k([>_>]) then I can see the V10 easily shooting up to close to 240k. Although A F430 Scuderia is around the same cost and will spank that thing all day, scuderia's cost around 260k and its weight 2756 lbs. the R8 weighs 3439 lbs, and sadly I think the R10 will weigh a bit more..but I hope not. I just think they need to watch the cost of this car as it gets into certain other super car territories.

ok. FIRST of all there are quite a few R8's on ebay going for under 150k i dont know where you got 180k from. Second of all i wasnt talking about the V10 doubling the GT-R i was talking about the V10 doubling the V8 (the V8 doubles the GT-R as it is[rolleyes]). All im saying is there is no way audi will double the price of the V8 ( that would have to be MSRP over 220k) just for another 2 cylinders and some excess hp/tq. Your numbers are way off.

cerfus
08-04-2008, 11:40 PM
ok. FIRST of all there are quite a few R8's on ebay going for under 150k i dont know where you got 180k from. Second of all i wasnt talking about the V10 doubling the GT-R i was talking about the V10 doubling the V8 (the V8 doubles the GT-R as it is[rolleyes]). All im saying is there is no way audi will double the price of the V8 ( that would have to be MSRP over 220k) just for another 2 cylinders and some excess hp/tq. Your numbers are way off.

I could see them (them being the dealers and possibly audi) doubling it very easily, TDI, thats gonna stir up some interest and make people want this car a lot, just wait they'll go for over 200k easy. And the 2 R8's at my dealer were 159k and 172k, there was one advertised on here for 179k a bit back, most of those on ebay are a bit "used" or have other circumstances attached.

Myallroad
08-05-2008, 04:35 AM
i would have to say, with that mtm chip and exhaust pulling over 700hp out of that v10, thats gonna be quite quick. You know the rs6 is already pulling 12s in the quarter stock so i wouldnt be surprised to see the rs8 in the 11's with a tune. Even though heavy, this rs8 if it does come out with the v10 biturbo, will be quite the quick one.

Plus the gtr's are HELLA GAY in my opinion. My buddy has a tuned 911 turbo and went to the nissan dealership and they told him that the gtr would smoke his 911. He laughed at them and left. told the guy he lost a potential sale.

Bodhii
08-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Plus the gtr's are HELLA GAY in my opinion. My buddy has a tuned 911 turbo and went to the nissan dealership and they told him that the gtr would smoke his 911. He laughed at them and left. told the guy he lost a potential sale.

And this incident determines your opinion that the Nissan GT-R is " HELLA GAY"? LOL... Maybe it says more about how you make your opinions, than it does about the qualities of the GT-R.

I've driven a GT-R on the track, and I was quite impressed. I won't be selling my R8 in order to purchase a GT-R. I definitely prefer the R8. But the GT-R is an amazing twin turbo car. Put twin turbos on the R8, and the R8 would would be superior in all performance areas except transmissions, and the R8 handles and look much better.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/gt-r_and_r8.jpg

Obi_agent
08-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Brought back from the dead(thread)[:D]

Anyway, did anyone notice, the article posted by the op is dated at April 1st 2008???? If you didn't, you can check it again by clicking on the link.
So with that fact in mind, it could very well be a april fools joke.[:)]

About the speculated engine for the R8-S, it's confirmed to get a naturally aspirated V10. No turbo's!!! It would have been really cool had it got the rs6 tt v10 but anyhow, NA V10 aint bad.

Myallroad
08-05-2008, 08:40 AM
And this incident determines your opinion that the Nissan GT-R is " HELLA GAY"? LOL... Maybe it says more about how you make your opinions, than it does about the qualities of the GT-R.

No, i said IN MY OPINION they are gay. I do not like the look of them. I know they perform well, im not an idiot, i am just saying you will never catch me buying one. Too Jap for me, i know its racist, just dont like the design.

Rather have a older skyline. I think they look ten times better.

And about that incident, that just says the salesperson was a fuckin idiot. never badmouth a persons car who is a potential sale.

AudiA4_20T
08-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah the R8's MSRP is a bit over $100k but due to the high demand and exclusivity dealers are having a f*ckfest and doubling the price. My fave brand is Audi hands down but R34 Skyline is the best performance car ever t be built in an assembly line. R34's I6 RB26DETT engine is the most powerful engine yet and still kills all these 1/2 million dollar trinkets. R8's are beautiful vehicles and have everything in one package but if you honestly want bragging rights on a track you'll be embarrassed by a 10 year old, 2800lb, 1,172hp track monster. Skylines are veteran time attack dogs and even a modified R8 doesn't stand a chance performance-wise. R35's aren't even out yet and tuners like Blitz and Top Secret are speculating 1,000+hp applications. I'm not too happy that R35's are gonna be available to the yuppy crowd w/ an auto. The mystique of the GT-Rs will be lost. But its still a respectable car. And with a tastefully modded Nissan I'd be double-taking between both beauties.

although this may make you think I dont like Skylines, because theyve been one of my favorite cars for years and the RB26 is unmatched...

Itll take probably $50k+ to get 1172hp... so that puts you in a way different price range than a stock skyline

RXBG
08-05-2008, 10:27 AM
hey guys. lots of misinformation around here.

first of all, the V10, with a planned debut alongside the new S4 in paris in october, will be NA and make about 535 hp and 400 lb/ft of torque. unfortunately, it will not come with the DSG (not that i personally care) as an option. it will have the typical manual and the r-tronic. despite this, the car supposedly gained minimal weight over the V8 (about 80-90 lbs). further, it has already trumped the ZR-1's ring time by about 2 seconds, making it quicker than the the GTR.

there is a GTR spec V coming, but it is expected to be a stripper version with little in terms of comfort and a hardcore ride. most of its performance gains will come from weight loss rather than power gains, since the engine is essentially maximally tuned without affecting its longevity. it is also said to cost well north of 100K (about a 40-50% markup over the std version).

as is, the V8 R8 is faster than the GTR in some aspects/curves (as seen in a recent R&T piece). the V10 will, poetically said, eat the GTR for lunch. in fact, the updated 520 hp turbo 997 will probably need DSG in order to claim a ring time as good as the R8's.

the R8's phenomenality lies in its design and balance. the structure is so rigid and taut that the modifications needed for the V10 were minimal. and if a 30-40% more powerful motor than the V10 ever makes it in there, they say not much more will be needed either.

Bodhii
08-05-2008, 11:17 AM
LOL... What will you do with 1172hp? That much HP has no realistic application to real life driving,.. or even to real life road racing tracks. It's just making a worthless dragster,

Any car with LESS than 5-6 LBS ( total curb weight ) per HP, is completely ridiculous.

A 420 HP Audi R8 has 8.09 LBS per HP

A 530 HP Porsche GT2 has 5.99 LBS per HP

A new 08 Porsche 465 HP GT RSR has 5.54 LBS per HP

A new 638 HP Vette Z5 1 has 5.04 LBS per HP

A new 480 HP Nissan GT-R has 7.94 LBS per HP.

A new 535 HP Audi R8 V10 will have 6.72 LBS per HP

PS...
V10 will, poetically said, eat the GTR for lunch. The GT-R will probably still be faster than the R8 V10 in the 0-60 MPH range because of the GT-R's fantastic transmission and its gearing. But in everything else they should be very close, with the R8 V10 winning almost everything. And if you don't think that the GT-R's new double clutch DSG transmission, is a HUGE technical and performance improvement over what the R8 has (man or auto),.. you maybe need to do some more studying.

RXBG
08-05-2008, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=

PS... The GT-R will probably still be faster than the R8 V10 in the 0-60 MPH range because of its fantastic transmission and its gearing. But in everything else they should be very close, with the R8 V10 winning almost everything. And if you don't think that the GT-R's new double clutch DSG transmission, is a HUGE technical and performance improvement over what the R8 has (man or auto),.. you maybe need to do some more studying.[/QUOTE]

oh, i never denied the importance of the gtr's dsg. in fact, it is THE main reason the car is so fast. equipped with a true manual the gtr would yield numbers at least half a second slower in accceleration, not to mention lap times. this goes to show how amazing the R8 is. were it equipped with dsg, the V8 R8 would eat the gtr alive.

i predict the gtr will eventually be offered with a manual. and you'll see accel differences as significant as those between the SMG and true manual M5.

UGwagen
08-05-2008, 07:10 PM
the real measure is the ability to break Jeremy Clarkson's neck and the ability of the The Stig driving it.

GTR: 1:19.7

R8 V8: 1:24.4 (granted the track was a little damp)

Think the V10 will make up 5 seconds?

vjma
08-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Whoever said the GTR is detuned should really think twice. Over here where grey import cars has been available for near 9 months now words are coming in that quite a few are starting to have engine failures, and people are dumping them as a result. I am starting to see a few ads for 2nd hand but that can mean a few different thing though.

Honestly for that kind of money the performance is fantastic. I don't care much about the look but it is very aggressive looking, and certainly not beautiful. The image is another problem. The previous generations of GTR has that gangster image that is hard to shake it off. Whenever I see one now I still picture a gangster driving one (a rich one I may add [:D] ). The R8 is a whole lot more sophisticated in image and all together a different animal. Like GR8 said, driving the car is like being the centre of the universe. Everyone look. Whether that is a good thing is entirely up to yourself. I kind of hate it at the beginning but now I am starting to enjoy it![cool]

Myallroad
08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
i heard of tranny issues once they are being tuned. Was reading a article of one that was tuned to 600 hp and they said the tranny had a good year before it was toast. Wonder if that is true.

KfabR8
08-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Like GR8 said, driving the car is like being the centre of the universe. Everyone look. Whether that is a good thing is entirely up to yourself. I kind of hate it at the beginning but now I am starting to enjoy it![cool]LOL! And how.

At first it was annoying - people coming up next to me on the highway w/the cell phone out snapping pix, people coming up to me at the gas station asking questions, etc. I've now learned to embrace it, smile, nod and go about my business. It sort of makes you want to puff your chest out... I now hear, inside my hollow head, the five year old taunt: "I have an R8, I have an R8 and you don't have one!" [drive]

My 13 year old daughter just sits there in the passenger seat with a grin on her face "Look at that guy - he's looking too!" She's liked being seen in the car from day one. "Dad, we're cool!" [up]

Myallroad
08-06-2008, 05:26 AM
well when i drove yours, three kids yelled Nice Car and EVERYONE in my hood was like HOLY SHITBALLS! My hood will never see a nicer car ever again! lol

RXBG
08-06-2008, 07:55 AM
the real measure is the ability to break Jeremy Clarkson's neck and the ability of the The Stig driving it.

GTR: 1:19.7

R8 V8: 1:24.4 (granted the track was a little damp)

Think the V10 will make up 5 seconds?

i predict it'll shave off 10 seconds easy.

this V10 is going to be something else. the structure was made for at least 500 hp. the V8 was just an overachieving start. the V10 will likely cost about 25K more than a similarly equipped GTR spec V, but offer more creature comforts- i.e complete luxury- (not to mention exclusivity) than the regular GTR. no contest.

Bodhii
08-06-2008, 08:21 AM
I've had Porsche's for years. And they never effected people the same way as the R8. Almost everyone, without exception,.. responds to the R8 with a big smile. :D

With the Porsches or other luxury cars, it was rarely with a smile or a friendly thumbs up that signaled my passing.( often it was another finger entirely ). The revolutionary new design and style of the Audi R8 creates one of the very rare moments in the auto world, where all people want to applaud. Bravo Audi! I hope Porsche will learn much from this new design by Audi. And I doubt if the Nissan GT-R will ever receive a similar, cross cultural approval.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/medium/321799097_eKeSK-M.jpg

jejeclown
08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
I could see them (them being the dealers and possibly audi) doubling it very easily, TDI, thats gonna stir up some interest and make people want this car a lot, just wait they'll go for over 200k easy. And the 2 R8's at my dealer were 159k and 172k, there was one advertised on here for 179k a bit back, most of those on ebay are a bit "used" or have other circumstances attached.

dude the V10 isnt a TDI. Your mixing it up with the V12. You really gotta do some more research lol

cerfus
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
what? I was talking about the V12 tdi, are they not releasing that? I know there releasing the V10 but I had heard that they were releasing the V12.. oh well I was speaking of the V12 tdi, i dont think the V10 is going to be that much of a stir to be honest. and im no wiz on the R8's or anything, too be real I dont think there that interesting..dont take offense to it just not my cup of tea.

audi til I die
08-07-2008, 07:25 AM
LOL... What will you do with 1172hp? That much HP has no realistic application to real life driving,.. or even to real life road racing tracks. It's just making a worthless dragster,

Any car with LESS than 5-6 LBS ( total curb weight ) per HP, is completely ridiculous.

Hmmm... I dunno, ask the crazy jappo's that drive these in Shibodo and Azakuza and all them racetracks. There are more than plenty of Skylines pumping out over 1000awhp. And not especially for drags. I think there are 2 in the US over the magic 1,000. And I don't see why ANYONE would have over 400whp as a daily driver. Unless its N/A then its still smooth and responsive but a boosted high hp car can become a nuiscience having to build up boost and shifting through all that power every freaking day. That's why they're built for tracking. Most of these Skylines have a dog box, the only way to get to 200mph in a jiffy, and yeah they go through trannies often, but then again, they're track beasts, not grocery-getters.

To clear this up, I would gladly take an R8 over a new GT-R any day. Audi til I die for sure, but considering the topic, I'm sure the GT-R is still a better perfomer. R8's are straight seckz though.

Obi_agent
08-07-2008, 08:30 AM

first of all, the V10, with a planned debut alongside the new S4 in paris in october, will be NA and make about 535 hp and 400 lb/ft of torque. unfortunately, it will not come with the DSG (not that i personally care) as an option. it will have the typical manual and the r-tronic. despite this, the car supposedly gained minimal weight over the V8 (about 80-90 lbs). further, it has already trumped the ZR-1's ring time by about 2 seconds, making it quicker than the the GTR.

Source on the ring time please......I don't think they officially timed the R8 V10 yet. Audi just speculated that they will.....!

vjma
08-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Like I said before the performance of the GTR is fantastic at any price range, let alone for a car that cost about half of a 911 turbo. However, there are other factors to consider when owning a car and those are the factors why R8 is preferred. Everyday usability, looks, quality, image are just some of those.

RXBG
08-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Source on the ring time please......I don't think they officially timed the R8 V10 yet. Audi just speculated that they will.....!

sources- swedish AMS (an excellent source)

later reported in leftlanenews and jalopnik

all last week.

audi hasn't posted an official ring time for two reasons;

they keep getting better times and have yet to reach their fastest (but already beat the ZR1's) and.... the car isn't officially out yet...

actlsub9
08-08-2008, 10:58 AM

i predict it'll shave off 10 seconds easy.
So you predict around that track (top gear) it will easily have a lap time 4 seconds quicker then a Ferrari Enzo.

onemoremile
08-08-2008, 12:35 PM

A 420 HP Audi R8 has 8.09 LBS per HP

A 530 HP Porsche GT2 has 5.99 LBS per HP

A new 08 Porsche 465 HP GT RSR has 5.54 LBS per HP

A new 638 HP Vette Z5 1 has 5.04 LBS per HP

A new 480 HP Nissan GT-R has 7.94 LBS per HP.

A new 535 HP Audi R8 V10 will have 6.72 LBS per HP

Ridiculous maybe but definitely a hell of a lot of fun. I've never had a problem with over 575 hp in a 2500 pound car. Hell, it makes nearly 500 at the wheels! No ABS, no traction control, no power steering, no problems. And yes, it does get driven in the rain - just have to keep it over 80 to stay dry.

SuperFormance mkiii. RDI 427 aluminum small block based on a 351w. Tremec 5mt with relocated shifter. Wilwoods and fancy coilovers all around. Custom Quaife rear diff. Loads of hidden trick stuff.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/1174IMG_2023_small.jpg (http://www.audizine.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12289)

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/1174IMG_2024_small.jpg (http://www.audizine.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12288)

R1Wolf
08-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Altima Coupe, I have an Altima Coupe and I think the GTR's are straight up ugly. Wish I could afford and S5 or R8, but I can't. And with the amount of mile I drive for work, I would hate to do that to those cars anyway.

I just saw a GTR in person on the 210 freeway yesterday, being followed by a G37s; I hate to admit to it, but it is better looking in person. I'd still rather have an R8 or a Gallardo though. Of course, I can't even afford an S5 so...

vjma
08-10-2008, 06:54 AM
To me the biggest thrill of the R8 is not how fast but the way it goes around the corner, and it is not exactly slow either.

mcjuicer
08-10-2008, 07:17 AM
holy crap i need to hit the lottery so I can own one

R1Wolf
08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
To me the biggest thrill of the R8 is not how fast but the way it goes around the corner, and it is not exactly slow either.

I'm with you there. I'm use to the top end weighted power band from motorcycles, so not having a lot of low end torque doesn't bother me much. But this car does handle amazingly, it is the only 100K + car I've ever driven, but I knew within two corners at Infineon that it's handling was great. I also like the fact that it is an easy every day driver, if you can afford one for that. Very comfortable, nice amenities, just a wonderful car.

I hope they have V10 versions at the next Audi Experience I go to; that has to be off the hook! [evilsmile]

AudiGuy84
08-16-2008, 05:27 AM
hahaha you guys think you can get a GTR for 75-80K ??? Try over 100K b/c of price mark up, every stealership that have a GTR is doing it. Oh and a wierd thing is not all GTR's are as fast as the other, why ? the engines are all hand build as well as the tranys so some mags are reporting slower times then what Nissan stated. and have you see the vid of a vette Z06 beating the snot out of a GTR?? hmm don't know the whole story about the but still interesting.

Oh and one more thing the ecu and exhaust upgrades and well everything else for the GTR are crazy high priced. So I don't think to many people are going to mod the hell out of these cars.

quattshot
08-18-2008, 09:48 AM

I've driven a GT-R on the track, and I was quite impressed. I won't be selling my R8 in order to purchase a GT-R. I definitely prefer the R8. But the GT-R is an amazing twin turbo car. Put twin turbos on the R8, and the R8 would would be superior in all performance areas except transmissions, and the R8 handles and look much better.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/gt-r_and_r8.jpg

I love the R8 BUT DAMN I dont see anything wrong with the PROFILE of this GTR. Looks good to me.

vtracer20
08-18-2008, 11:48 PM

MSRP as my dealer was 111K, they sold it for 175K, i could see MSRP for the new R8 in the 125-130K range and wouldn't be suprised to see 200K markups. I remember reader that Audi HQ wasn't very happy with dealers marking up the cars so high. Either way, the R8 is a very beautiful car, but for that price i rather get an c63,m3 or the gtr.

Vito Roma
08-20-2008, 07:53 AM
nissan ruined a staple in the aftermarker car world the old one is so much sexier. Audi wins hands down overall

Angry4
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Although I do find the R8 a far "sexier" car. I do not think they are in the same class. I honestly believe that the GT-R outperforms the R8 in every way. The least important of which is the 1/4 mile everyone has been talking about. Its not even what the GT-R was developed for, its a track car that has been seen testing on the nurburgring for the last 3 years.

Some of the best evidence of the potential of the GT-R are its lap times on pretty much any course.
The May 2008 issue of Road and Track held a match between the 911 Turbo, the Z06 and the GT-R.

Lap times on Buttonwillows 2.73 Mile Road course:

911 Turbo : 2:02.1
Corvette Z06 : 2:02.2
GT-R : 1:56.9

I see this a Huge Margin of victory, speaking to the true PERFORMANCE of this car as a whole. Also, the onboard computer in that test showed only 11.8pounds of boost, leaving alot of room for more power.

Its potential is just beginning to show with a little tweaking also.
In the September issue of SCC there is a small article talking about how Nissan took the stock GT-R, added some stiffer spring rates subsequent tuning and some stiffer engine and transmission mounts and brought its famous 7:38 Nurburgring time down 9 seconds to 7:29....Not bad considering the Veyron does it in 7:40.
Now, with a prototype "Spec V" version in testing with another 70HP and a 300lb Diet. It is said to be down to 7:20...Which is amazing considering the Carrera GT has a 7:29.

On Top Gear it did a Lap of 1:19.7...Matching a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Beating a LP640, beating a Carrera GT, beating a Z06, beating a 911 GT3 RS.

Now, as I said before I think the R8 is better looking, but with a bit of tweaking even a V10 R8 will have a very difficult time taking down this Godzilla.