PDA

View Full Version : stock intercooler 2000 a4 1.8T B5

kingdon
03-30-2008, 07:18 AM
how much boost or horsepower can I run on a stock intercooler B5 if I change my turbo thank guys for your response.

VTAudiA4
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
It depends on the turbo. Even a K04 will get heat soaked with the stock intercooler. Not really recommened. You can piece a ebay one together for about 250-350 or just go legit and get a racetec.

audiness
03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
i have a K04 and all supporting Mods except teh front mount.

how much would i really feel the difference if i go with a front-mount?

Euro-Tuner
03-31-2008, 08:10 PM
its not so much of a huge power gain as it is being able to keep power, when the IC gets heatsoak, you will lose power, a nice FMIC will avoid that

VTAudiA4
03-31-2008, 08:29 PM
^ what he said and also it would help prolong the life of your engine/mods.

tamadrumr88
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
a chipped k03 heatsoaks the intercooler practically the same gear that boost is applied [:D] if it's cooler out or if the front grilles are removed it'll heatsoak for sure rowing through the gears

docurley
04-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Theres a new RaceTec FMIC in the classifieds for £500 if your quick and it's a good bit of kit.

ModifiedA4
04-01-2008, 06:49 AM
the vanilla K04 file is the limit for the stock intercooler. imho.

fikes
04-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Speaking of heat soaking what does a bigger SMIC bring to the equation. I was looking at purchasing a Tyrol SMIC so its stealth but is it doing as much or close to what a FMIC is going to do?

maxspeed
04-01-2008, 07:51 AM
larger turbos run cooler than the little fire breathers we call the k03/k04s, a gt28r on moderate boost will function fine on the stock IC

mike-2ptzero
04-01-2008, 08:26 AM
larger turbos run cooler than the little fire breathers we call the k03/k04s, a gt28r on moderate boost will function fine on the stock IC

It isn't just about how hot the air is coming out of the turbo, CFM comes into play and the stock SMIC is rated for much less then what a GT28r can put out with moderate boost. You just cant push 200+whp worth of air flow thru a part good for 150whp, its just that simple.

audifan33993
08-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi i have an audi a4 1.8t quattro 2000 recently i was changing the break bads on the front left side of my car when it slipped off of the jack stand and slammed to the floor after jacking it back up i noticed that there is a hose or something were the intercooler connects that cracked and is now shooting oil when the car is running i was just wondering if it sounds like it could be the intercooler or something else thanks -mike

bmarshall
08-13-2011, 02:44 PM
You would get too much pressure drop across the IC if it were flowing more than 200/250hp.

csosnowski
08-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi i have an audi a4 1.8t quattro 2000 recently i was changing the break bads on the front left side of my car when it slipped off of the jack stand and slammed to the floor after jacking it back up i noticed that there is a hose or something were the intercooler connects that cracked and is now shooting oil when the car is running i was just wondering if it sounds like it could be the intercooler or something else thanks -mike

you should make a new thread for this, but ill give you a possible answer:

1. there is a hard pipe that runs along the lock carrier at the bottom that is connected to the lower IC hose and then to the throttle body, thats what you broke and youll need to replace it because you have a large boost leak.
2. possible reason for it shooting oil is that there is oil in the lower IC hose from blowby or the seals in your turbo leaking, pull the hose and see how much oil comes out then pull the turbo inlet pipe and check your turbo for wear. you shouldnt be able to wiggle the compressor wheel very much at all and it should spin freely.

M-Hood
08-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Is it a pipe/hose that is near the intercooler but not connected to it directly? Because if it is something that is near the intercooler you could be taking about the steering pump cooler.

nhojwilliams6
01-28-2013, 07:21 PM
just came across this and need some help as well if anyone can help

did alot of work trying to fix a butchered 2000 1.8t that had an awm lower and atw head finally got the timing done and k04 installed now onto the re assembly and there was a godspeed fmic installed that was held on by wire (yep) and tap all over the hoses on the sensor side including tape on the sensor who knows if its all good and now im thinking id almost rather go back to stock and was looking how exactly to do that with the proper hoses but looks like i just read up there that a K04 wont work with the stock smic. my heads already been spinning and now this is just adding to it, anyone think i should just re assemple the kind of butchered taped up fmic or go back to stock although that seems like it wouldnt work. i guess the other option is to buy new hosing for the fmic but was trying to spend as little as possible. any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks

M-Hood
01-29-2013, 08:56 AM
just came across this and need some help as well if anyone can help

did alot of work trying to fix a butchered 2000 1.8t that had an awm lower and atw head finally got the timing done and k04 installed now onto the re assembly and there was a godspeed fmic installed that was held on by wire (yep) and tap all over the hoses on the sensor side including tape on the sensor who knows if its all good and now im thinking id almost rather go back to stock and was looking how exactly to do that with the proper hoses but looks like i just read up there that a K04 wont work with the stock smic. my heads already been spinning and now this is just adding to it, anyone think i should just re assemple the kind of butchered taped up fmic or go back to stock although that seems like it wouldnt work. i guess the other option is to buy new hosing for the fmic but was trying to spend as little as possible. any help on this would be greatly appreciated thanks

New hosing would most likely be the cheapest, other option is to buy a Apikol SMIC which can handle the K04 and then sell the Godspeed FMIC.

nhojwilliams6
01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
New housing would most likely be the cheapest, other option is to buy a Apikol SMIC which can handle the K04 and then sell the Godspeed FMIC.

thanks for answering, would the apikol smic work with stock hosing, i have some stock left over from what was assembled with the godspeed bs but would need to get the rest then

M-Hood
01-29-2013, 05:48 PM
thanks for answering, would the apikol smic work with stock hosing, i have some stock left over from what was assembled with the godspeed bs but would need to get the rest then

Yes the Apikol will work with the stock hoses.