PDA

View Full Version : Rear Noise!!! Need some help!!

portny33
03-28-2008, 05:48 AM
I have had this weird noise coming from the rear for the past month or so. Finally I determined one problem to be a bad wheel bearing, so I just had that replaced yesterday and the whirring sound is gone. BUT i am back to square one with the original sound. I would say it sounds like a ghostly squeaking noise. [headbang]It sounds like it is coming from the rear drivers side wheel well. Mostly happens when I make a slow turn or going slow over a bump. My mechanic said he checked all the bushings and all of them were good.

He said it could be something with the brakes wearing down???? Anyone have any ideas please let me know. I thought about getting some lithium grease for the calipers and pistons. Really wanna get rid of this annoying noise.

Thanks

rabbit123
03-28-2008, 06:05 AM
I have this same problem as well. I just haven't been motivated enough with work and school to try and find the problem. Like the previous post said, any help would be great.

mlc-A4
03-28-2008, 09:24 AM
hey man ..

crazy question ... but that noise BEFORE you replace the bearing ... was it like a whirring noise ? like as if the the tire was rubbing ? i got a flat last week. used a 17 stock (18 chs) for two days, and this whirring noise came out. fig it would disappear once the new tires went on.

=(

i was wondering if it could be the bearing. also, how much did u pay and how long did it take ? thx in advance.

ed

portny33
03-28-2008, 09:47 AM
The bearing was $42 from germanautoparts.com and $150 to install. Yeah the wheel bearing creates a whirring noise. Just gotta narrow it down to which side.

mlc-A4
03-28-2008, 09:53 AM
thx for the quick reply !

ed

headshok2002
03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeah the bearing is cheap and should be 1.5 - 2 hours labor. I appreciate that my mech is 45 an hour... Yeesh.

The creaking noise could be a broken spring, bad strut mount, swaybar bushings, or stabilizer link -- though the link is more often a clunk noise, not sure if it'd ever creak/squeak.

fr3nz33
03-28-2008, 10:26 PM
mine is generally just after being parked for as little as an hour, and will definitely pulsate, whir...whir...whir. not wheel/axle bearings, just done.

but goes away after driving 100 yards or so.

bigphil
04-24-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm getting this from my rear as well, and I just did my wheel bearing... it dosent sound like a bad wheel bearing, its a lot more intermittent. I'm not sure what to do I think i'm going to take it back to my mechanic and see if maybe I got a bad one, but I doubt it.

portny33
04-24-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm getting this from my rear as well, and I just did my wheel bearing... it dosent sound like a bad wheel bearing, its a lot more intermittent. I'm not sure what to do I think i'm going to take it back to my mechanic and see if maybe I got a bad one, but I doubt it.

sorry havent posted in a while,but i got the problem fixed. it was a broken spring on the drivers side rear. i got a full sport suspension and put it on last week. everything is work fine now

bigphil
04-24-2008, 11:26 PM
thats good to hear man, my custom coilovers are being built as we speak so hopefully my noise goes away as well.

paul2241
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I am having the same exact squeaking noise from the rear can't tell which side it is coming from.... I remember when it got really cold out over the winter I heard a loud POP which was probably my spring breaking 6 months ago... ha. didn't start hearing the squeak until recently though. anyway how much did it cost you to replace portny?
thanks.