PDA

View Full Version : Screeching when AC is on???

Chard
09-03-2004, 01:57 AM
My car makes a screeching noise when the AC is first turned on. After the screeching is finished, which is about 10 seconds, it goes away and doesn't come back till the compressor has to start up again. What's the problem? I recently changed my AC compressor belt. Is that what's causing this noise? It's pretty embarassing...

Daft
09-03-2004, 04:19 AM
The belt still isn't tight enough. Here's what you have to do:

Jack up the car, remove the belly pan. Use a (I think it was) 6mm hex key to loosen the A/C belt tensioner pulley. Get a prybar and put tension on the tensioner pulley to get all the slack out. While holding the prybar, tighten the 6mm hex key and make the pulley stay put.

Another thing to look out for is that the tensioner pulley can wear out. Mine was wobbling like crazy at 70K and I replaced it when I did my TB. If I recall, I paid about $25 for it from ECS. When you loosen the tensioner, check to see if the pulley wobbles on it's bracket. If it has any play at all, it's starting to go and you should order a replacement. The good news is that you can change the pulley without removing the belt.

Chard
09-03-2004, 11:21 AM
the belt you ar talking about is the one that just connects 2 pulleys, right? When facing the front of the car, it's the one that's on the far right, right? If I can do this without having to tak ethe front end apart again, that'll save me SO much time. I'll try to take a look at it after this weekend. Thanks

cbass
09-03-2004, 12:36 PM
No, it's not on the far right. It is the one on the very bottom left. It goes around the A/C compressor, then around a pulley on the engine, and then, at the very bottom it goes around the little tensioner pulley. You don't have to take the front end of the car apart. Just take off the belly pan and if needed the bottom plastic part of the bumper (even though you probably won't have to take that part off).

Chard
09-11-2004, 03:39 PM
ttt so I can work on this later on today and still find the thread [:D]