PDA

View Full Version : Turbo & Manifold glowing bright orange

RedRocket
09-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Ummmm, is this normal with a K04 setup?? I'm kinda worried......

turboawd
09-02-2004, 07:31 PM
not sure about for a ko4, but i know my ko3 glows after some hard driving, and its pretty normal...i would suspect that it is normal

RippleChip
09-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Some say their K03 glows after a good drive

AFOUR_PLAY
09-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Here's a pic of an S3 turbo a few minutes after a spirited Dyno run
http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10028/DYNO%20Day%20011.jpg

http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10028/DYNO%20Day%20009%7E0.jpg
143Kw@ the wheels with APR DDP and APR exhaust

AFOUR_PLAY
09-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Point of my post is that the S3 has a K04 turbo and runs 165Kw (225HP) similar out put to an A4 with K04 setup.
Just make sure you let the car cool down after a drive.

Mike~p
09-02-2004, 10:00 PM
yes it is normal...mine does that also...but like afourplay said...let that mo fo chill for a few.......if im at home or sumwhere where i feel safe, i open up my hood when i park because it gets all that hot air out and will cool it quicker

HotSauce
09-02-2004, 10:11 PM
If I were you guys, leave the engine be, to cool by itself. By adding extra air around the case, you change the temp of the inside and outside of the turbo at different rates. This means they will contract at different rates. The case will contract around the swollen turbine...Causing no good.

Just let it do its thing...

RedRocket
09-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I will be driving to MTL after all [:D]

RedRocket
09-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by AFOUR_PLAY
Here's a pic of an S3 turbo a few minutes after a spirited Dyno run
http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10028/DYNO%20Day%20011.jpg

http://www.ozaudi.com/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10028/DYNO%20Day%20009%7E0.jpg
143Kw@ the wheels with APR DDP and APR exhaust

Was it properly tuned?

Mike~p
09-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by HotSauce
If I were you guys, leave the engine be, to cool by itself. By adding extra air around the case, you change the temp of the inside and outside of the turbo at different rates. This means they will contract at different rates. The case will contract around the swollen turbine...Causing no good.

well first off were not talking bout cooling the engine...we are talking about the turbo...and im not convinced what your saying is true because if i just drove home from lets say 30 miles away doing 80-100 which is normal to me because of where i work, and i was to run the turbo hard and then just turn off the car without letting it sit in park/Neu for a lil, after a while the turbo would go bad then possibly have to be replaced....which is why they have turbo timers for turbod cars or some people would open there door an let it beep then when it stops 60 secs later wait a lil longer then shut there engine off....i personaly have a viper alarm which has a built in turbo timer thats set for 3 mins.. and when i get home an set it i like to pop the hood to release all the hot air that has been building up in my engine bay while ive been driving...i never said anything about adding extra air around the case, all im saying is i get the hot air thats my the manafold out and with the car is still running that means exhaust gases are still being transferd so really no air temps would be changing because the car is still on......mabie if i was to kill the car then mount a fan aimed at my cat/turbo then that could possibly harm my car, but what i do should be safe and i know a few other audi owners in my area that do the same thing

Originally posted by HotSauce

Mike~p
09-04-2004, 04:03 PM
^^ didnt mean to quote twice sorry

OverSpun
09-04-2004, 07:21 PM
that S3 is SICK.

Clay @ Kinetic
09-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Its normal, just make sure you cool it down well or you'll be having some problems with your K04 down the line ;) Those things are tiny and if the shaft bends you could be in for trouble.

cheers,

Clay
www.ctsturbo.com

Clay @ Kinetic
09-04-2004, 07:31 PM
I hope the IC is working well on those cars :D that lil snail is getting a workout :D

Clay

Mike~p
09-04-2004, 08:29 PM
lol yeah

AFOUR_PLAY
09-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by RedRocket
Was it properly tuned?

Had an APR chip and APR exhaust only,

now has a front mount

RedRocket
09-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all your help. This is just kinda weird. Maybe I'm not running leam then. So it's ok to get red like that then huh.......

AFOUR_PLAY
09-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Yeah,
Front mount and exhast should help the cars performance too.

Does it only glow when you give it a good beating or when you drive normally?

bOOOOstedAudi
09-06-2004, 11:02 PM
it is completely normal for an high spool turbo to glow. check my sig. where you think I got i from. it not as photoshopped as you may think

AFOUR_PLAY
09-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Plus the glow of the turbo suit the colour of your car[:D]

RedRocket
09-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by AFOUR_PLAY
Yeah,
Front mount and exhast should help the cars performance too.

Does it only glow when you give it a good beating or when you drive normally?

Well, not so much when I drive normally. Like if I'm boosting 5ish here and there, only the turbo will have some of it glowing. But 10 - 15 - 20, a few times and she gets nice and red.

EDIT:
Plus the glow of the turbo suit the colour of your car [:D]

haha, ya that's true.

Chard
09-07-2004, 01:02 AM
it's normal. just cool it down when it's red to save it from problems down the line. you don't want baked on oil.

Pureaudi
09-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by bOOOOstedAudi
it is completely normal for an high spool turbo to glow. check my sig. where you think I got i from. it not as photoshopped as you may think

where is the turbo placed in a 97 1.8t? i want to see mine, and i cant find it. can anyone direct me?