PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises from my wheel

JMG
09-02-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm noticing a high pitch whine around my passenger side wheel at low speeds. It's mostly in stop and go traffic and gets rhythmic with the speed.

At very slow speeds (10-15 mph) its a long whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeee. At higher speeds (20-30mph) it's intermittent. Like whee, whee whee, whee. Any ideas what this could be?

cbass
09-02-2004, 06:14 PM
a likely bet is a stuck caliper. Happened on my car and it was kind of the same sound. The pins that the caliper floats on get stuck. Your local parts store should have some lube for those little pins. Then it's really easy to put on. just unscrew the pin (I think it's a 5mm hex key), pull it all the way out and coat it with some of the lube. Then slide it back in it's sleeve and repeat for the other pin.

It also could be the wheel bearing, but with the bearing, it will generally get louder if you put pressure on that side of the car. i.e. if the noise is coming from the right front, turning left will make it get louder and turning right will make it quieter and vice a versa.

DDQ
09-02-2004, 06:46 PM
I had a very similar thing. It was my wheel bearing. I've replaced 2 bearings now, and each time it was a slightly different noise.

Whenever it's a repetitive rhythmic noise that is most audible around 10-30mph, it's almost always a bearing.

Before paying for the replacement, the cheapest way to check is to remove the housing from the drive shaft. Then you can freely spin the bearing and listen. It would at least save you the cash on buying a new bearing.

Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly which side the noise is coming from. I had though it was from my driver's side, but it ended up being the passenger side.

JMG
09-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by DDQ
I had a very similar thing. It was my wheel bearing. I've replaced 2 bearings now, and each time it was a slightly different noise.

Whenever it's a repetitive rhythmic noise that is most audible around 10-30mph, it's almost always a bearing.

Before paying for the replacement, the cheapest way to check is to remove the housing from the drive shaft. Then you can freely spin the bearing and listen. It would at least save you the cash on buying a new bearing.

Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly which side the noise is coming from. I had though it was from my driver's side, but it ended up being the passenger side.

Thanks guys, the bearing and a sticky caliper is actually what I was thinking. I'll check on those this weekend.

DDQ - how much is a new bearing?

JMG
09-03-2004, 12:19 AM
A few more details to add:

This noise only happens occasionally. Maybe 30% of the time.

Chard
09-03-2004, 01:48 AM
That caliper bolt he's talking about is actually a #7 hex key. Just a heads up.

DDQ
09-03-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by JMG
Thanks guys, the bearing and a sticky caliper is actually what I was thinking. I'll check on those this weekend.

DDQ - how much is a new bearing?

The bearing kit is about $60-$75 depending on where you order from. I think you can check on www.car-parts.com or one of those discount part sites for the best prices.

Labor will run you anywhere from $100-$200 depending on where you go. To save money, just pull off the whole assembly, take it to a shop to press out the bearing and put in the new one, and then install it yourself. Saves you a lot of labor cost.

cbass
09-03-2004, 12:51 PM
try www.europartsdirect.com for really cheap bearings, I did both sides of my car recently too.

Wholsea
09-04-2004, 05:35 AM
JMG Clean out your inbox haas...

That sort of sounsd like a wheel bearing.

does the sound go away when you take the load off that corner?

Roll until you get the sound, then turn in the direction of the sound, if it goes away, you've found the corner.

Front or rear you think?

My rear wheel bearing sounded like that, and it slowly got worse, until even my stereo couldn't drown it out.

I was able to reaplace the rear wheel bearing for $60 for the bearing and $45 to have someone remove and replace the bearing (But I took out the entire housing, and had them press it).

The front was slightly more expensive, I ended up replace the axle ($80 for a re-manned part) $65 for the front bearing, and $60 to have a guy come out to my house and replace the bearing with an "on the car press"

Your cheapest bet would be to either take the car someplace, or have some friends do it for you.

As soon as you take the wheel bearing housing off the car, you'll need to get a $100 allignment...

Shop around, look into the smaller shops, and get your parts from stores online, out of your state (save on tax that way).

Most dealerships charge around $65 an hour for labor, plus parts. And it is about a 1-2 hour job, an dhopefully they have an on the car press, otherwise, you'll be in for an allignment anyway...

Good luck!

Wholsea
09-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Chard
That caliper bolt he's talking about is actually a #7 hex key. Just a heads up.

#7 hex key, what are you talking about?

The two bolts on the back are 17mm, and the "pins" on mine just slid into some rubber gromets, no bolts holding them in.

The only hex bolt on that whole wheel hub assembly is the damned collar bolt and that sucka is a 14mm hex bolt (that tool was the bane of my existance at one point) not many shops carry a 14mm hex bolt.

They have 10/17mm, but no 14mm.

Also, why don't metric socket kits come with a 16mm socket? And why are half the nuts on suspension 16mm?

Silly germans.