PDA

View Full Version : Trade her in or sell outright????

Greg
03-19-2008, 04:12 AM
I have a '98 A4 2.8 Q 5-speed with 88,000 miles on her. I have given her meticulous care her entire life and not a single door ding or mark on the paint. Over the last year I have replaced the rotors and pads as well as the e-brake cables and tires. I was offered $4800 on a trade-in. Should I sell her out right or let the dealer have her for $4800? I have been looking around and these are not selling for much more even though KBB has it at over $7000 for private sale and around $9000 from a dealers lot. I am really torn. I would like to get at least $7000 given the condition she is in. So do I let her go or take the risk and try to sell her myself?

Any comments?

Thanks, Greg

Siena
03-19-2008, 04:21 AM
You always tend to get more with a private sale.

A dealer will give considerably less, as he / she is looking to sell her on, and make a profit.

jm121189
03-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Try and sell it your self first you will get more money, probably 3-4k. If you need it gone right away or can't sell it your self after a few weeks then I would consider going to the dealer and trading.

Seerlah
03-19-2008, 05:43 AM
As stated above just try and sell it first and see what happens. If you don't get the money you are looking for, then bring it to the dealer (considering you always have that option). I would say you could get at least anywhere between 6-7k vs the dealer's $4800. I paid $7,700 for mine w/107k miles on it. But no extra charges such as doc fees and such.

prey
03-19-2008, 06:04 AM
I'd say trade it in man, its hard to sell a older model b5 now, 4800 is not a bad price, I know it hurts because u put a lotta money in the car, coming from 4 b5's , I think I would know and plus its a v6, people are looking for the 1.8T, And nowadays for 6k to 7k u will be able to get a 2001 1.8T sport. So, save urself from the hassle and trade it in for 4800, as its not bad at all and get a 1.8t :)

quicksilver_S
03-19-2008, 06:16 AM
In my experience, selling privately is always the best way to get the most $$, but what I have found is that it will be very hard for you to sell your car for 6-7k. The reason why I say that is not too many people have that kind of money laying around, and if they were to get a loan for it, most banks wont give out loans for cars older than 7 years. You might get lucky and find the right buyer, but this is just what I have been experiencing/noticing. It all depends on your situation, if you have time to wait it out. However I wouldn't wait to long because your cars value might drop along the way.

PS... if you ever consider selling your car for around 5k, just trade it in to the dealer for 4,800 just so you can get some tax benefit on the new purchase.

Seerlah
03-19-2008, 06:31 AM
You should maybe place an ad in Autotrader.com for 6.5k obo. Then see what negotiations you receive. That is where I found my car. Link from Autotrader in my loacal area (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=used&distance=75&address=12550&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=AUDI&model=A4&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=1998&min_price=&max_price=&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=). Prices seems just about what you could get.

Hamann
03-19-2008, 06:36 AM
you'll NEVER get Private Party value from KBB...

negotiate it up to $5500 from the dealer...a lot easier.

akielb
03-19-2008, 07:20 AM
I support selling it yourself, even if you sell it for $4800 yourself, you can now negotiate with the dealer more and possible get another $1-2k off the price of the car your looking at. The dealer is not only going to give you less than you deserve for your car, they are building more profit into the price of the car you are purchasing just in case they have to deal with a trade-in.

Hamann
03-19-2008, 07:39 AM
^^ not exactly ^^

the prices should be separate...don't get enticed into their shell game.

The better thing is to have a trade-in, because the tax is less....so, negotiate a better price on the trade!

Monster Stealth
03-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Personally I would never sell a car to a dealer. First because they give you jack for it most of the time, and most people know that they can sell it outright and get more, but do not want to for more of a convenience factor I guess. Second, it pisses the hell out of me when a dealer has no paperwork or records of cars that are used, this may be the previous owners fault, but in my quest for cars I have never had a used car dealer tell me they have any paperwork for any maintenance for a car. If I am that worried that I need to sell it asap, I would just sell it for a little over what the dealer is willing to give me on a trade in. Both parties win. The seller makes a little money, and a quick sale, and the buyer actaully gets to talk to the previous owner so he really know what he is getting into, and getting a deal on the car. I am just ranting bc I just went through this when I was looking for a B5 A4. I happen to find one on the forum here with almost all maintenance that has been done in the past, and for way less than any dealer I talked to wanted.
/rant

Yevmeister
03-19-2008, 08:39 AM
if you did proper maintenance, and have all the records, put the car on craigslist, cars.com autotrader.com start with craigslist cause it's free 66k miles isn't bad at all, and car doesn't have outstanding problems you might get $6000-6500 for it try to sell it for a month. if you are unsuccessful you can always bring it to the dealer, remember negotiate the price first, and then mention trade in. Going to the dealer is like fighting a battle, get the KBB trade in price print out. and have your friend wearing AUDI service shirt to point out all the problems

I did that when i bought a VW Beetle for my mom from Chrysler Dealership, i had my friend dressed in VW service uniform. I got beetle convertible 6sp 1.8T with 40k miles for $12k out the door
Yev