PDA

View Full Version : Dash Buzz - A/C Unit

libtech75
03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
I had these little buzz coming from the dash and I finally isolated it yesterday to the little vent on the top part of the a/c unit right above the "Auto" button. Anyone know what is in there exactly?

I noticed that if I put my finger over that little vent, even with no pressure and just my fingeer over the vent - the sound completely stops. If I remove it the sound starts again. Was wondering if it's some kind of temperature sensor for the automatic climate control or get I seal it up so that the buzz stops. It's a tiny buzz and my wife can barely hear it but it annoys me.

brlukosk
03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Its a temperature sensor for the climate control. There is a little fan inside that spins and takes air in. Try cleaning it out with some canned air. It quieted mine down a bit.

You could break the fan, or take it off of the HVAC control, but I'm not sure what would happen?

Brooksthepro
03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
^^ the auto button prolly wouldnt work properly after that because it cant get real interior temp read.

libtech75
03-13-2008, 03:43 PM
^^ the auto button prolly wouldnt work properly after that because it cant get real interior temp read.

That's what I was thinking...

I tried canned air already and did nothing. I wonder if spraying a little wd-40 might do the trick?

Brooksthepro
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
That's what I was thinking...

I tried canned air already and did nothing. I wonder if spraying a little wd-40 might do the trick?

hmm, idk if i would do that. any liquid in electronics isnt good. i would say keep trying to blow air in there.

AnthraciteA4
03-13-2008, 04:03 PM
This is taken directly from the WD40 website:
"The Five Basic Functions
CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.
DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.
PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements."

WD40 is fine for electronics, it does tend to gather dust while still wet though. Spray the crap out of it with canned air and then try the WD.