PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 99 avant, what i like/ don't like

llewop_211
03-13-2008, 12:10 AM
First of I’d like to say hello, my names Paul I’ve been a long time reader but this is my first post. I'm 18 and the last 2 years I've been driving a 93 Mazda mx-6, Audi's are pretty much the sexiest cars out there and i'm so happy I got my hands on a nice one. Here’s a picture I took.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k240/paul_endisch/audi3-7-08.jpg

Anyway, just got my avant ,I live in the bay area and go up highway nine and through the Santa Cruz mountains every chance I get, these roads are fun fun fun. I took the Audi up there this weekend and 15 minutes into the drive I drove into a speed trap and got a ticket. Hmm that’s never happened before, anywho the rest of the drive went smoothly, wheels screamed a couple of times but I never felt a loose in control. The 4-wheel drive is really as great as you all say it is, especially compared to my Mazda. The car does lack the stiff sporty feel I’m looking for. Planning on upgrading the suspension in a couple weeks(H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks) and some 18 inch rims, would get coilovers but I’m broke as a joke after buying the car, anyway I hope new suspension will give me the feel I’m looking for. The 2.8 liter engine launches pretty good and the high-end torque is not bad, but what’s up with the throttle response? Am I the only one who’s getting lag? Also I like to rev match while downshifting on those steep curvy roads but trying to heel toe with the stock gas and break pedals is all of impossible. Any suggestions? Are they adjustable? All around I am extremely happy with the way the car drives, but if I had the money i'd be considering a supercharger

Oh and by the way the interior is outstanding, I love the electronic leather seats, sporty steering wheel and the Bose sound system, my god. The sub in the back left of the truck has boosted my street cred by at least 5 points[:D]

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated

biketsai
03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Get some suspension for sure, it makes a big difference. The stock ride handles like a boat.

sixfiveoh
03-13-2008, 12:36 AM
We'll have to go for a drive sometime [up]

Stampy
03-13-2008, 12:45 AM
Its all about street cred.

Welcome!

audisnapr
03-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Also I like to rev match while downshifting on those steep curvy roads but trying to heel toe with the stock gas and break pedals is all of impossible. Any suggestions?

welcome. heel-toe in the audi is indeed a PITA. I've driven a few different cars where pedal placement has made all the difference in the world; even my VW had a natural pedal placement for heel-toe. The only suggestion I can make is keep practicing. Even if you were good at it before, it's like learning it all over again on the audi (at least it was for me and is still a PITA).

btw, if you think your interior got you 5 pnts of street cred, wait until the ladies see you roll'n in a station wagon [up]

Borden
03-13-2008, 08:38 AM
btw, if you think your interior got you 5 pnts of street cred, wait until the ladies see you roll'n in a station wagon [up]

If you think he is kidding my friend has a wagon and its not even fair! the lady's completely blow my car off[=(]...untill they get inside, its all about the leather dude the lady's love it[up]

Vreihenmotor6
03-13-2008, 08:44 AM
I'd trade the ladies for a avant!

audiness
03-13-2008, 06:19 PM
welcome to the board.

a suspension upgrade and better tires should help out your handling problem

Ewok_Fetus
03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
welcome. heel-toe in the audi is indeed a PITA. I've driven a few different cars where pedal placement has made all the difference in the world; even my VW had a natural pedal placement for heel-toe. The only suggestion I can make is keep practicing. Even if you were good at it before, it's like learning it all over again on the audi (at least it was for me and is still a PITA).

You should try driving a Viper... Seems the pedals can all be pushed at once with the tip of your toes... LOL! Pedals are too damn close for comfort!

Russell2686
03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
I'd trade the ladies for a avant!

amen

speedydragon
03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
We'll have to go for a drive sometime [up]

I'm down :]

I may be selling my neuspeed sport + adjustable bilstein shocks pretty soon. To your benefit, I'm local, proud owner of an avant, and 17 years of age :D

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Atleast you bought the fastest color Audi produced. Sorry to hear about the engine choice... [:p]

pfa65
03-13-2008, 09:50 PM
you probably know your car way better than i do, but did those headlights come on 1999's? I have a pearl white 98.5 wagon with the same lights and i though 99's came with projectors. I could be totally wrong...
I think if you pull the headliner panel down from in front of the sunroof controls, the production date should be there. At least mine was.
As a matter of fact, my car and I share the same birthday, 'cept I'm 14 years older.
Nice whip, and I must say the ladies around me dig wagons.[up]

Edit: that sub bumps pretty hard for a stock unit, doesn't it!

Borden
03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
you probably know your car way better than i do, but did those headlights come on 1999's? I have a pearl white 98.5 wagon with the same lights and i though 99's came with projectors. I could be totally wrong...
[up]

i thought projectors were only for xeon lights?

pfa65
03-13-2008, 09:55 PM
nope, some came with just halogens behind projectors

tamadrumr88
03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
correct, and '99.5 was the cutoff. early '99 was still 2pc headlights

sirswank
03-14-2008, 08:41 AM
sounds like fun!

you can get the one-piece porjector headlights and retrofit them easy peasy.

heel-toe is indeed difficult, but (and maybe it's just my car) i can push the brake pedal down enough to be able to still blip the throttle without really applying the brakes enough to make a difference. kinda only really good for rev matching on the downshift. otherwise i just move my foot really fast. have good shoes helps too, i can't drive if i'm wearing my running shoes. indoor soccer pumas or adidas work best for me.

Borden
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
sounds like fun!

you can get the one-piece porjector headlights and retrofit them easy peasy.

heel-toe is indeed difficult, but (and maybe it's just my car) i can push the brake pedal down enough to be able to still blip the throttle without really applying the brakes enough to make a difference. kinda only really good for rev matching on the downshift. otherwise i just move my foot really fast. have good shoes helps too, i can't drive if i'm wearing my running shoes. indoor soccer pumas or adidas work best for me.

this is indeed correct that shoes make all the difference, i dont heel toe that often for the simple reason that %99.9999999 of the time im wearing timberland boots, weird but im actually really good at driving in them, but when i do wear different shoes i end up having to move my seat forward

onemoremile
03-14-2008, 09:35 PM
I heel toe all day long in size 12 dress shoes. Stacey Adams, Reaction, Allen-Edmonds, all of them work just fine.

sirswank
03-17-2008, 07:23 AM
I heel toe all day long in size 12 dress shoes. Stacey Adams, Reaction, Allen-Edmonds, all of them work just fine.

but can you do it in manolo pumps?

http://pumpsandgloss.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/manolo.jpg