PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Monoxide Monitoring?

djwimbo
03-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Alright what I'm looking for is a "Continuous Emissions Monitoring System" that I can use for datalogging, tuning and basic monitoring of Carbon Monoxide.

We're going through basic tuning and 5 gas stuff in school this week and I am very interested as to why we don't have CO gauges instead of wideband's. I've done some research but found nothing like what I'm looking for. I'd like to have an exhaust sensor, like an 02, that allows me to monitor CO emissions. Handheld 5 gas analyzers are too big and expensive. All I want is CO monitoring capabilities.

CO is the first thing to monitor and the most important thing when determining a Lean/Rich issue. HC, CO2, NOx and O2 I don't care about at this point. Anybody can pick up a wideband and guess tuning, I'd like to be able to tweak based on, well, more important information that isn't specific to each vehicle, FI style, fueling, etc.

Anybody got any links, ideas, etc? Thanks in advance.

djwimbo
03-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Come on, anybody got anything like what I'm looking for?

devmaster
03-13-2008, 10:53 PM
umm.. idk CO logging is more of emmisons testing thing, o2 is better for tuning air fuel..

djwimbo
03-14-2008, 12:24 AM
CO is the primary indicator of a rich or lean air to fuel ratio. Yes it's used in emissions testing, that's how I came across the idea. However, I have reason to believe that it could be used for tuning in a more precise manner than a 5V UEGO/wideband could.

Why tune off the ass end of an equation, when a direct reading can be used?

onemoremile
03-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Seems like the rest of the industry would have picked up on this if it were that critical. I can't imagine engineers, race teams, and 1000whp 4 cylinder engine tuners leaving so much to chance. Maybe they know something your instructor doesn't? Maybe the difference isn't so big? Maybe it is just so much easier to measure o2 that co juts gets ignored? Sounds like you've got some more research to do. My assumption is that every modern vehicle in the world uses o2 for a reason.