PDA

View Full Version : Major fuelcut/hesitation problem

hybrid_eg
03-11-2008, 01:15 PM
So here is the deal, i bought this B5 little over half a year, didnt have a single problem with it knock on wood. Daily driven all day everyday.. APR stage 3, + regular supporting mods.. car recently started having a hesitation problem between RPMS 3K - 3.4K complete power loss while hesitation and bogging although you are pressing on the throttle, then after a second or two clears up and up the RPMS go.. no hesitation or any problems from 4K and on..

This only seems to happen after car warms up.. not while it is cold. And mainly in 1st, 2nd, sometimes 3rd and 4th.. No CEL i might add.

I'm thinking bad coilpack but how could it be only at certain RPM? Also brand new plugs + fuel filter are in place.. and problem doesnt just happen underload.. i can have the car sitting and just ringing at little over 3K rpm and it will just bounce there like as if it was hitting revlimit.. but rougher..

Any ideas?

This for 2000, 1.8TQ

Squarrl
03-11-2008, 02:35 PM
When my coil packs packed up the car would start ok, I would drive and then around 2500rpm it would misfire like crazy.

hybrid_eg
03-11-2008, 02:36 PM
did this happen at all times or it would misfire in a certain area of rpm range then stop?

Squarrl
03-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Honestly I kinda took my foot off the gas when it did this, was quite violent.

whoace
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Just throwing it out there....cam position sensor? sounds like it might have something to do with the VVT

Squarrl
03-11-2008, 04:51 PM
dont only the 2001.5 have VVT he is a 2000

R4zzleD4zzle
03-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I am experiencing this same exact problem! The car runs really cold when on the highway but when driven in city traffic it starts heating up pretty quick, will warm up to 12 0'clock on the gauge in about 5minutes & once it hits that point thats when everything starts F'ing up!

Just got off the phone with a manager from the only dealership here in town & he was a complete jackass. I got the car back about 9days ago from there. He told me it is good that the car is still experiencing problems that I had before even after I had it looked at and fixed (I replaced the MAF, they told me the old one I had was bad). I didn't know it was that great for my car to continue experiencing problems after being fixed!

As I was writing this, I got my Bentley Video DVD service manual, about to take a look at that.

R4zzleD4zzle
03-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Here is the link to a video I just posted with my phone, you can see when the RPMs jump quickly I am just tapping the gas & then they boggle back down. Watch to the later end of it & my exhaust is throwing black smoke....I just had an oil change in November with Mobil 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGolyudu_xg

DGAFxxx
03-11-2008, 06:32 PM
did you vag for codes? bad coil pack will do that, thats an easy fix. do you have a cel? probably get a flashing cel too?

R4zzleD4zzle
03-11-2008, 07:51 PM
I just got the car about 2wks ago, havnt bought a scanner yet. Really need to buy one, not sure where to get one cheap yet. No CELs come up except if the car dies from the poor idle then the battery CEL comes up, but then I restart it & its perfectly fine, no bad idle at all.

Poopie
03-11-2008, 10:54 PM
looks like a bad vac/boost leak.

hybrid_eg
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
on mine it was an issue of a loose wire for MAF.. since its an aftermarket MAF, the wire connection was only a but connector or possibly even a weaker connection then that.. yesterady it started boggin all over the place and died on me.. so i started it back up.. twisted the maf harness a bit where the connection are and problem solved.. no i just have to review MAF entirely with some new wires, and connectors.. should be good to go!