PDA

View Full Version : South bend Stage 1 Review

Borden
03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Just got the car back from Autobahn Performance. I had the south bend stage 1 put in and i already love the car. The pedal feel is alot stiffer( i ended up stalling the car about 4 times getting it out of the parking lot) but the pedal feel is great. Also i noticed that shifting is more fun but that could be from not driving my baby for 6 days. The south bend Stage 1 is a great alternative for the 2.8 guys that still want to have some fun. I cant wait for it to be broken in![drive][up][up]

Papachristou
03-11-2008, 01:09 PM
congrats! you think that one takes more effort/trickier to drive, try my FE SS! It engages about 1" from the floor and is pretty much instant on/off, i got mine from autobahn as well

Borden
03-11-2008, 02:22 PM
well i was used to a clutch that was going out so it would engage towards the top half of its throw this is so much nicer!..i have a bad knee(Nordic skiing accident ended up tearing my MCL) so i didn't want anything that would be to bad and i can already tell that i need to do some training to get my knee in shape..god i missed and love my car!

sean1.8t
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
i didn't even know they made a stage 1

onemoremile
03-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I've got the 4 or 5 OFE with SS pressure plate and have no problems with it. My left knee didn't even have an ACL and both MCL were stretched thinner than pencil leads. I've now got pieces of hamstring and titanium hardware holding it together (full ACL reconstruction) and still have no problems.

My clutch has always engaged right at the top. The S4 has an RS4 clutch and is right at the very bottom.

SurferForever
03-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Just got the Southbend Stage 4 clutch with the DXD pressure plate and its really not that much stiffer then stock. engages a lot lower but not really super stiff where as pedal feel is concerned

sean1.8t
03-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Just got the Southbend Stage 4 clutch with the DXD pressure plate and its really not that much stiffer then stock. engages a lot lower but not really super stiff where as pedal feel is concerned

that's what i first thought. until i drove another stock clutch A4. the difference is VERY noticable.. you just get used to it fast

onemoremile
03-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Stock feels like a plastic toy. Try pushing the clutch pedal in with your right leg and you'll realize how much you've gotten used to it. How is it that some engage low even with the same clutch? I could attach a 2" block to the back of the clutch pedal and still get it into and out of gear without any problem at all. I've actually thought of doing that to speed things up at the track.

Nebone
03-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I drove a B6 S4 on Sunday and the cluch on that feels like a feather compared to my stock clutch at 125k. I drove the car no problem right from the start. Engagement was right at the top like every VAG car.

sean1.8t
03-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Stock feels like a plastic toy. Try pushing the clutch pedal in with your right leg and you'll realize how much you've gotten used to it. How is it that some engage low even with the same clutch? I could attach a 2" block to the back of the clutch pedal and still get it into and out of gear without any problem at all. I've actually thought of doing that to speed things up at the track.

i've often wondered the same thing. aren't our clutches self adjusting hydrolic? cause everyone i hear from has a different engagement point with the same clutch/FW setup..

i could do the same thing as you.. but i've never thought about the block part. that might be something to try out soon [up]

brinboston
03-11-2008, 07:16 PM
hey.... i'm looking for a replacement clutch on my 2.8. so the southbend stage 1 is that highly recommended? cause an OE sachs kit is like $250, so if its that much better its on a little more expensive. may i ask where u picked up from and how much?

brinboston
03-11-2008, 07:25 PM
and also did u have to get a new flywheel? i'm trying to avoid spending the extra dough if possible

SurferForever
03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
that's what i first thought. until i drove another stock clutch A4. the difference is VERY noticable.. you just get used to it fast

well so far i have only driven the car once with the new clutch and that was to drive it to the tuner . . . .

Borden
03-11-2008, 08:34 PM
hey.... i'm looking for a replacement clutch on my 2.8. so the southbend stage 1 is that highly recommended? cause an OE sachs kit is like $250, so if its that much better its on a little more expensive. may i ask where u picked up from and how much?

Its all preference really and I'm enjoying it alot i got it right through Autobahn Performance where i take my car it cost me $487.58 i had to get a new fly wheel and decided to just stick with OEM because for me a LWFW just doesn't seem practical. I love it and i guess thats all that really matters right??

before i had the new clutch installed my pedal was a feather any idea why the pressure would increase alot? maybe the 6 days i forgot how much pressure it took? and then the upgraded clutch added a little? really im clueless here[confused]

onemoremile
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
The clutch shouldn't change the pedal pressure at all. That should be the pressure plate since that is what the clutch pedal works against.

brinboston
03-12-2008, 06:08 AM
[QUOTE=Borden;2340525]Its all preference really and I'm enjoying it alot i got it right through Autobahn Performance where i take my car it cost me $487.58 i had to get a new fly wheel and decided to just stick with OEM because for me a LWFW just doesn't seem practical. I love it and i guess thats all that really matters right??

cool.... thanks! which model did u get? i saw their rally one for like $325....

Borden
03-12-2008, 11:23 AM
i got thier DXD rally stage 1 kit

Borden
03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
and also did u have to get a new flywheel? i'm trying to avoid spending the extra dough if possible

You will have to either get a new fly wheel or get yours resurfaced

brinboston
03-12-2008, 04:26 PM
cool.. will look into it. thanks!!!