PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter

jturnbull
03-11-2008, 11:35 AM
so i thought i would do my fuel filter but the diy on audi diy is for a 97 i think and i thought it would be the same but i cant find the filter it self mine is a 99

salz2135
03-11-2008, 06:57 PM
the filter is in the same spot.

onemoremile
03-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Filter is tucked up between the right rear wheel and the gas tank. Cut the strap to drop it and zip tie the new one in place. Don't forget the crush washers or you'll have a leak. Also be sure to pull the fuel pump fuse, open the the gas cap, and then start the car until it dies. This pulls the fuel out of the system. There will still be about a beer can's worth of gas in the filter though. I put some wadded up paper towels in a cardboard box and let it drip and drain into that. Then put it in the middle of the driveway to dry out before lighting it on fire.

jturnbull
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Ok so im doin the fuel filter and i cant seem to find the tool i need any where does any one know where i can buy one of these its a 8mm 12pt 3/8 drive allen

manufan
03-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Here's my way: Undo the bottom banjo after clearing the system of fuel by using the technique outlined above. Slip a screwdriver between the filter and the plastic rim at the bottom of the filter and pry it away from the filter. Grab the filter with a pair of water pump pliers(giant channel locks) twist and pull down an the filter until it slides out of the plastic strap/mount. The line on the top fitting is long enough and will hang down enough for you to get it loose. You don't really need to loosen and drop the tank as some would suggest. Using this technique takes about 1/2 hour.

generik777
03-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Ok so im doin the fuel filter and i cant seem to find the tool i need any where does any one know where i can buy one of these its a 8mm 12pt 3/8 drive allen

Do like onemoremile said and just cut the strap, That's how I did it also.

creechsa4
03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
i just fabbed a 6mm allen short bit, then used a 6mm ratchet wregnch to get that bolt out. 6mm will fit in the 12 point. never ever put that bolt back in again. zip ties per the above recommendations ftw!

manufan
03-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Why take something apart that doesn't need to come apart? And, why purposely butcher something that isn't even in play? That's reserved for the "no other way" scenario.

creechsa4
03-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Here's my way: Undo the bottom banjo after clearing the system of fuel by using the technique outlined above. Slip a screwdriver between the filter and the plastic rim at the bottom of the filter and pry it away from the filter. Grab the filter with a pair of water pump pliers(giant channel locks) twist and pull down an the filter until it slides out of the plastic strap/mount. The line on the top fitting is long enough and will hang down enough for you to get it loose. You don't really need to loosen and drop the tank as some would suggest. Using this technique takes about 1/2 hour.

sounds a bit scarry when you have fuel, metal screwdriver, metal fuel filter and yanking down potentially causing a spark with an already dropped open fuel line. your method i'm sure works great, but just be careful. many manuals indicate to use nonmetal tools and/or brass punches to avoid sparks.

manufan
03-16-2008, 03:20 PM
The filter is made of aluminum and doesn't spark.

creechsa4
03-16-2008, 03:22 PM
oh yeah, the manuals that indicate to use nonmetal/brass tools around fuel are bmw & my infamous chevy manuals...

creechsa4
03-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Aluminum is often referred to as a "non-sparking" material, and this property is frequently listed for aluminum in the Periodic Table of Elements. The principal interest in using non-sparking materials is to avoid ignition of combustible or explosive materials from an "impact generated spark".
One will often see advertisements for "non-sparking tools" made from aluminum alloys. Does this mean these "non-sparking tools" are safe in hazardous environments, or that they will not spark? Not necessarily - ignition by a chemically generated spark may also occur - depending on what the aluminum strikes - i.e. rusty steel (ferrous oxide).
What about grinding steel versus grinding aluminum? We have often seen the showers of sparks given off when steel is pressed against a grinding wheel. Does this mean it is safe to grind aluminum? Again not necessarily. Apart from the dangerous build-up of friction (heat) that can occur - you can generate a very dangerous mixture of iron and aluminum dust called THERMITE.
Here's an industrial datasheet on aluminum.
Let's not forget that aluminum has another important property as an electrical conductor. In other words it is possible for aluminum to conduct and discharge static electricity, again creating a spark-type ignition source. Up until now we have discussed solid aluminum. If aluminum is processed into a fine powder it oxidizes, and there are hazards associated with the handling of this material.
In conclusion - you would probably freeze to death before you could start a campfire by striking two pieces of aluminum together. Steel and flint would be a far more successful combination. On the other hand I wouldn't bet my life that aluminum is a completely non-sparking material.

information taken from a science forum. seems it is a non sparking material, but i also agree with the science guy's reply on the last sentence.

jturnbull
03-16-2008, 03:45 PM
if i were to just cut it what would i zip tie it to? if u could get a pic of it ziptied in that would be amazing

jturnbull
03-16-2008, 04:22 PM
and also when i pull the fuse and let it run till it dies i will still be able to drive it when i put the fuse back in and the cap back on with out getting gas correct?

manufan
03-16-2008, 04:30 PM
and also when i pull the fuse and let it run till it dies i will still be able to drive it when i put the fuse back in and the cap back on with out getting gas correct?

Of course. If you had fuel in the tank when you began, you'll be able to restart the car. It might crank slightly longer until the fuel gets back to the engine.

manufan
03-16-2008, 04:37 PM
What about grinding steel versus grinding aluminum? We have often seen the showers of sparks given off when steel is pressed against a grinding wheel. Does this mean it is safe to grind aluminum? Again not necessarily. Apart from the dangerous build-up of friction (heat) that can occur - you can generate a very dangerous mixture of iron and aluminum dust called THERMITE

At our machine shop we regularly precision grind aluminum. There's no iron present in the aluminum, hence the reason it doesn't stick to the electromagnet that normally holds ferrous parts in place when they're ground.

In conclusion: Any time one works on the fuel system care should be taken to avoid sparks where a high concentration of gasoline fumes might be present. Grabbing onto an aluminum housing with pliers does not violate that requirement.

generik777
03-16-2008, 05:36 PM
if i were to just cut it what would i zip tie it to? if u could get a pic of it ziptied in that would be amazing

Honestly i never zip tied mine back on, It's just wedged in their so tight with the pressure of the fuel tank and whatnot that it doesn't move at all. Also when I cut the strap I didn't cut it off I just cut it open, So the little lip on the bottom still helps hold the filter in place.

jturnbull
03-17-2008, 05:25 PM
i finnally did it today i used the screw driver method and just took pliers and yanked the thing out it was a bitch and then when i put the new one in i didnt screw the banjo fitting on tight enough and it leaked gas but its good now wasnt that hard

dualaudi
03-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Honestly i never zip tied mine back on, It's just wedged in their so tight with the pressure of the fuel tank and whatnot that it doesn't move at all. Also when I cut the strap I didn't cut it off I just cut it open, So the little lip on the bottom still helps hold the filter in place.

same here... if i have to drop the tank to get the darn thing out the first time, you'd think you would have more serious problems if it fell out down the road...

A4orce84
03-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Did you guys that replace your filter notice an increase in MPG after?

generik777
03-22-2008, 04:14 PM

I didn't. But my old filter was pretty plugged, I could barely blow through it. I figured even if the mpg doesn't increase, it should make the job easier for the fuel pump.

AudiRacerS4
03-22-2008, 05:57 PM

not really if your fuel filter was plugged youd get better gas mileage since the engine would be starving for gas

jturnbull
03-23-2008, 05:00 AM

i actually noticed a pretty decent increase in mpg