PDA

View Full Version : a couple of random questions

4ringAR
03-10-2008, 06:53 PM
1) Today I noticed that when I floored it at about 10mph the car would feel like it was bouncing a bit...or the rear wheels were. I felt a bit like when someone does a rough burnout and the wheels start to bounce when they begin to grab the road. It would only last for a fraction of a second.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be or how to fix it?

2) My exhaust sometimes gets REALLY loud/deep. It only seems to happen when it is raining hard or if there is slush on the road, and it will only ever last for a few seconds.
I was on Loveland Pass this past Friday when it happened again. It just got loud, and then I downshifted and it was so loud/deep that everything in the car was rattling/vibrating. Then it just went away.
Its only happened a few times in the past year, but Im curious to know what it is?

Thanks.[up]

djwimbo
03-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I have no idea on what the noise issue is. Check the flex pipe for breaks that maybe open intermittently? Hard to diag w/o hearing it.

How's the clutch in your car? I've had it before that a higher stage clutch will "ratchet" or switch between gripping and slipping and make that issue. Never seen it on an AWD though.
Also check the engine, driveline and transmission mounts. When I upgraded my mounts I noticed a huge difference in the feel of my car and the response. Possibly the rear diff bushings aren't happy with you.

4ringAR
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I have no idea on what the noise issue is. Check the flex pipe for breaks that maybe open intermittently? Hard to diag w/o hearing it.

How's the clutch in your car? I've had it before that a higher stage clutch will "ratchet" or switch between gripping and slipping and make that issue. Never seen it on an AWD though.
Also check the engine, driveline and transmission mounts. When I upgraded my mounts I noticed a huge difference in the feel of my car and the response. Possibly the rear diff bushings aren't happy with you.

well i know the flex pipe is practically in shreds, but it seems like it would occur more often if it had to do with the flex pipe being bad. what really weirds me out is how it only happens when there is water/slush on the road.
on the plus side, it sounds badass when it gets loud. i mean i down shift and the car has this incredibly mean sounding growl which vibrates the car it is so deep.

and its a tiptronic, so i dont think it is a clutch issue.

djwimbo
03-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Yea, I know the sound. I rolled around for a weekend on an open DP. Definitely got some looks, good and bad, especially from fellow college students.

well, I'm sorry you drive a tiptronic vehicle. I'd still check out the bushings and mounts to see if that's where your vibration thing is coming from.

SykoraA4
03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
there was a thread on here a little while ago about water getting into the exhaust and i think it made a similar noise to what you were describing. maybe thats your case, or maybe im completely wrong. or better yet, maybe someone remembers the thread. i dont even remember what to search under

4ringAR
03-10-2008, 11:15 PM
there was a thread on here a little while ago about water getting into the exhaust and i think it made a similar noise to what you were describing. maybe thats your case, or maybe im completely wrong. or better yet, maybe someone remembers the thread. i dont even remember what to search under

i just did a quick search and i guess this is the thread:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189736&highlight=water+exhaust

see the guy in that thread describes it as a rattle, though. my exhaust just seems to get incredibly loud. almost as though i am running a dump pipe or something

and djwimbo -- when i take the car into the shop next ill have them check those things out. i wouldnt know what to look for on those.