PDA

View Full Version : installing a new clutch, any info/ tips appreciated

99blueb5
03-10-2008, 05:42 PM
99' a4 1.8t quatro, my clutch is out and a new one is on the way, with a pressure plate, so i need to get the tranny out by the time the clutch gets here, is there any special tools that i need to remove it, im pretty mechanically inclined, and its at a shop that has a lift at it, they also have a tranny jack too and a good selection of tools, any links to DIY's would be great

ive got it in the air right now, removed the exhaust after the flange(nuespeed system), the heat sheild, that pretty much it, do the driveshaft bolts have threadlock on them because i tried to remove them and they didnt budge, anything would help
thanks

djwimbo
03-10-2008, 10:43 PM
You'll need an 8mm "triple square" for the front axles and two "allen's" 6mm and 8mm. I prefer to use my allen/Hex bits that are 3/8" sockets. Other tools needed, transmission jack, jack stands, and a combination of sockets.

Here's a link to my CarDomain Site (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2964519/2). The second page is all clutch install DIY info. If you have any questions shoot me a PM or AIM: RS91K
I pulled mine out twice in a week(last week) so I'm pretty fresh on the teardown and install stuff.

ActiveMonkey
03-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Take pictures of where all the transmission to Engine bolts go. Label each one with a number so you know where they go. THIS WILL HELP A LOT. Mainly because they are not all the same size.

For me it was easier to drop the transmission after removing the transmission mounts/brackets.

Take your time. Don't rush it.

Best of luck

djwimbo
03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Take pictures of where all the transmission to Engine bolts go.

If you have any questions about the above ^^ ask, I took pictures of pretty much everything. Hence the yet to be finished DIY I started on Cardomain.

mike-2ptzero
03-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Do not reinstall the very lower transmission to engine bolts back in. To get those bolts out you want to loosen the 2 engine mounts and jack the back of the trans up, this will give you a little more room to get the bolts out. The other way is by lowering the subframe but I found jacking the back of the trans to be much easier. Also make sure to remove the 2 tranny mount brakets, this way the trans just slides right out without anything hitting.