PDA

View Full Version : Turbo going bad!! Need Advice!!!

jaredb587
03-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I use my A4 as a daily i didn't want to do any big mods to it, but! my turbo is going sadly. So I was thinking a KO4 would be my obvious next item. So my question is. What comes along with that?? I have full exhaust and carbino intake, im guessing the intake would have to come off if i get it? Also i would have to get a chip, and what ever is included in the Turbo kit.Front mount? So my question is What is the best Kits out there, and what kinda of money am I looking to drop? [headbang] http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/JROD69/IMG_3008.jpg

iin10ded
03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
replace the k03 with the updated sport version and get yourself an apr chip and call it a day. the standard giac k04 file sucks [i have it]. the uprated giac k04 files [hammer, pc16, depends on the year of your car] aren't really worth it, imo, since you'd need to do similar supporting mods [clutch, fmic, injectors, etc] as you would if you were to go with a 'real' big turbo. but then you're in a whole other level of project.

for a daily driver the best option over and above just chipping a ko3 is the apr kit, which is very $ but seems to also be fairly reliable / turn key.

price wise, assuming you're not doing the work, a new turbo and software will run you close to 2grand installed. an apr kit will run you 6-7 grand installed.

Poopie
03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
well how much money are you WILLING to spend?

jaredb587
03-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I mean i have about like 2Gs im willing to spend. But the only thing that sucks i was going to go for a project car, liek a 510 or somthing. So if i do this, im gonna wanna see power, So I keep the k03 and get a chip?

B5Jaeger
03-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Get a new or remanufactured K03 if you don't want to spend the money on a bigger turbo setup. More and more, K04 setups are seeming to be an expensive waste of time, no matter which motor you have.

In terms of sheer parts cost, you should be able to get a remanufactued K03 (I believe all of them are K03 Sport types, as they have that -029 part number) from Gpopshop for around $500. I'd replace oil and coolant lines, and get a chip from APR or GIAC, whoever has the closest dealer. You'd be looking at about 1100-1200 in parts cost for the chip and new turbo. Maybe you can find someone local to you to help you out with the install - shouldn't be too bad on a 1.8T.

A high-flow catalytic converter is another thing to consider if you'd like some more top end.

iin10ded
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
are you doing it yourself? a new k03 will run you 700 or so. a chip from apr is about 5. if you diy you'll save a pile of cash and you can use the leftover for any number of great mods - new shifter, drivetrain stabiliser, engine / tranny mounts, a8/tt brake upgrade [lines? pads?].

i guess it really depends on where the car's at now and what you wanna do with it. the audi doesn't really seem to have any intermediate 'steps' to tuning these cars like most do. it's either you go easy / cheap[ish] for a few hp, or you throw the book at it and dive into the big turbo world.

if you do that 1 of 2 things will happen; a. you will become a walking encyclopedia of audi engine management trivia or b. you will pay someone a small fortune so you don't have to do a.

if it's a driver i'd really advise you stick to the stock turbo / chip route. if you get the urge to upgrade throw the $ at brakes, suspension, etc.

jaredb587
03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I mean is there anyway to get a upgraded K03?? I definitely Getting the APR chip.

jonrogers42
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Before you buy anything new make sure you search around some of the audi classifieds like this one or the fourtitude classifieds. You can find a lot of sweet deals.

20vpower
03-10-2008, 04:55 PM
if your going to spend 700 on a k03 then y not just find a used k04 for the same price, i got mine for 650 shipped with ~5k on it. I just installed my k04 yesturday and with only a k03 chip it still feels a hell of a lot better. well that might also be because i installed a hfc and 034 hi flow mani, which i must say is a great investment. those 3 things + install hardware and misc mait stuff i needed was ~1300 and i installed it myself. btw i am going pc16, and this is my daily.

Rhinop21
03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
If i were you i would put together a gt28rs setup. Thats what im putting together right now since my stock turbo is litterally dead. Do a search because there is quite a bit of other supporting mods needed.

iin10ded
03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
20v - what chip are you using on the k04?

savetheclutch
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
jared if you had posted this before I would have sold you my KO3s. It was sold this morning

ibew5audi
03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
That wasn't right ^^^^^^^^^^^^

iin10ded
03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
don't bother with a used turbo. for a little more $ you know the turbo is sound, and you have a warranty if it's doa [from what i hear it happens quite often]. i'd much rather spend an extra 200$ than have to do the job 2x. time = money.

also i reiterate my suggestion to stick to the chipped k03. you'll have a bit more pep without needing to start changing out a bunch of ancillary components. for a mostly stock driver, it's the path of least resistance.

audiproud
03-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I installed a KO4 in my A4 1.8t QTRO myself; K&N filter, FORGE DV, SILICON HOSES, no chip, upgrade TB A4 V6 type, also replaced the N70, runs great. I have read many peoples Turbo desires, lots of money and later lots of problems. Keep it simple, some $$, enjoy your ride.

jaredb587
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Alright so pretty much, stick with the Ko3 and get a Apr tune...

Stampy
03-13-2008, 12:13 AM
stick with the K03. Every 6 threads on the main page is a thread about K04 problems.

biketsai
03-13-2008, 12:17 AM
If you need a K03S I have one.

Brooksthepro
03-13-2008, 12:39 PM
when i first put in the k04. i was running it with a k03 chip and it ran great! but once i put in the hammer file the car kinda pooped out on me.....probably because all the hoses and valves in the car have 100k miles on them so im in the process of fixing everything. I dont know what people are talking about, but the k04 hammer file with all supporting mods (while mine was running good and should be up and running good soon) was WAYYYYYYY faster then my k03s with apr chip. i say if your going to get the k03s then why not just pay a little bit more. or the same for the k04 (even if your not going to upgrade to k04 software). Sure the k04 isnt a BT but it also has ALOT more potential then the k03s would ever have. especially if its around the same price and YOUR doing all the install. If i was you, i would get the k04 no matter what software, future upgrades you plan on doing. Because in the end, wouldnt it be nice to have the option to upgrade a little more if you chose too in the future?

from slowest to fastest....or pretty close to it:

k03 stock - slowest
k03s stock - a little better
k04 stock - a little better
k03 chipped - alot better
k03s chipped - even better
k04 standard chip - about the same as a k03s chipped
k04 agressive (pc-16 or hammer w/supporting mods) - alot better then standard k04 chip

after that, all the BT elim's etc etc etc.

the price difference between a fully modded agressive k04 and one of the smaller BT's is pretty similar for ALOT more power. But with that extra power, you will need a a new clutch, were as any k04/3 u should be fine with a stock one. also, not the mention, any k04/3 setup will be alot less trouble free then any BT setup.

also, with the k04, you can upgrade to the agressive progressivly. where as any BT setup you should probably buy EVERYTHING all at once.

hope i got this all right.